Desert complete revision conceptualization

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Dave
Warrior
Warrior

Re: Desert complete revision conceptualization

Post by Dave »

:oops: Perhaps a rephrase. Can I safely assume that a hypothetical animated tiles feature, will not enforce a limited number of frames?

I really liked the examples that yosuhara displayed..
yosuhara wrote:Some inspiration maybe?
Image and tiled: ImageImageImage

tiles made by .TakaM from wayofthepixel.net
That's basically why I ask.. to achieve anything close to that, we'll need quite a few frames.
Last edited by Dave on 24 Apr 2008, 02:28, edited 1 time in total.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Yes, you can assume that animated tiles will have no frame limit or a limit which is so high that it will have no practical relevance.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

AxlTrozz wrote:because this thread is a concept, here my first try with water animation...

Image >>> Image

Feel free to use this as a base and create your own version ;)
I love it! We could also make the sand darken and then lighten as the wave retreats

As a side note I got a strange idea while working on this: Image
later (between now and never) when we create the volcanic desert, it could consist of petrified trees and lakes filled with lava
Rotonen wrote:but I feel there might be a palette clash with the new sand and the new cliffs. Preserve the colors!

(Which reminds me, we have no guidelines on palette usage.)

I'm going to go back over it with a more limited color palette to get rid of the blended look
Pixel Battalion
Dave
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dave »

super idea, about the volcanic desert landscape.. the lakes / rivers of lava thing was already part of it.. but I really like the addition of petrified trees.
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Dave wrote:super idea, about the volcanic desert landscape.. the lakes / rivers of lava thing was already part of it.. but I really like the addition of petrified trees.
Following suit, the Crystal of Fire shatters, scorching the jungle around it. Unlike previous eruptions, this explosive event seems to have more lasting effects. As the average ground temperature seems to skyrocket in many areas, Tonori transforms almost overnight, in to a barren wasteland. The area becomes known to many, simply as the Volcanic Desert.
It would be a nice way to tie the story into the game visually, by showing what became of a once lush jungle

:back on topic:
I think we should start conceptualizing about how we want the final desert maps to look...
Pixel Battalion
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

They are so unfinished and obviously created for a different environment, so much so that it would just be easier to just create a new cliff rather than adapt those,
Pixel Battalion
Sertraline
Novice
Novice

Post by Sertraline »

You may say the same about these that I dug up by Adarias, but in any case, they are worth taking a look at. There's a lot of subtle variation there, in both form and color, in only a few tiles and shades.

A bit off topic here, but I noticed he was featured on the front page of Pixel Joint. The interview is pretty insightful. Anyone still in contact with him, think we could enlist his help again? :P
Jetryl
Novice
Novice

Post by Jetryl »

Sertraline wrote:A bit off topic here, but I noticed he was featured on the front page of Pixel Joint. The interview is pretty insightful. Anyone still in contact with him, think we could enlist his help again? :P
Unlikely - he's currently working on a TBS tactical (likely for-pay) called "Partisan". Back in the day, he also briefly dipped his moist tip in the Allacrost project, but threw a hissy fit and left when another (equally good, mind you) artist tried to collaborate with him (and no, I'm not using that as a euphemism for myself).

Collaboration, kids.. I know you're trying to put your own magical stamp on things, but seriously - no one Duck cares. In the classic words of Tyler Durden: You are not special. You are not a unique little snowflake. Only when you let go of all that baggage, are you truly free.
Dave
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dave »

Jetryl wrote:Collaboration, kids.. I know you're trying to put your own magical stamp on things, but seriously - no one Duck cares. In the classic words of Tyler Durden: You are not special. You are not a unique little snowflake. Only when you let go of all that baggage, are you truly free.
Wow, who's the intended recipient of this nonsense? :?

If we're all kids, your message seems a bit harsh and inappropriately worded. Skimming over this thread, it doesn't appear that anyone said anything about avoiding collaboration, or the placement of any "magical stamps".. :| Maybe you've got the wrong thread.

Played out quotes, from Fight Club; that's what no one "effing" cares about. (my mommy says kids shouldn't curse) :roll:

But getting to the actual message in your post, I'd agree that no one should hold their breath about getting that guy to do any work for TMW.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Our collective is a bit odd in this sense. We simply don't care as long as there are some people willing to contribute towards the common goal.

So far over the years our active part has changed a lot but also grown in both numbers and talent.

I don't think we should miss Adarias too much.
This message used to be meaningful.
Jetryl
Novice
Novice

Post by Jetryl »

Dave wrote:
Jetryl wrote:Collaboration, kids.. I know you're trying to put your own magical stamp on things, but seriously - no one Duck cares. In the classic words of Tyler Durden: You are not special. You are not a unique little snowflake. Only when you let go of all that baggage, are you truly free.
Wow, who's the intended recipient of this nonsense? :?

If we're all kids, your message seems a bit harsh and inappropriately worded. Skimming over this thread, it doesn't appear that anyone said anything about avoiding collaboration, or the placement of any "magical stamps".. :| Maybe you've got the wrong thread.
:| Learn some grammar:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generic_you

Read my post again, in light of that. I'm warning people here against making the same mistakes he did. If 'you' make the same mistakes he did, which 'you' probably are predisposed to, because most people in modern culture generally do, then 'you' will probably not luck out like he did, because 'you' probably don't have talent like he does to become good in spite of that.

If 'you' know that 'you're avoiding that mistake already, then the above statement doesn't apply to 'you', obviously.
Dave
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dave »

:roll:

Back to the desert. Has there been any talk about consolidating the general desert and desert temple graphics? They could benefit from the touch-up effort, if for nothing else, to make certain that they match.

I think the temple's general architecture could be used in non-temple, desert locations.