Magic Skill Icons

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Magic Skill Icons

Post by Crush »

Both very good, but I think the second one is better.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Dave
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dave »

I prefer the same-color method.

This is just an idea I'm toying around with.
There could be three types of energy and each is capable of creating three elements. Something like:

Red Energy (Fire, Lightning, Metal)
Green Energy (Earth, Plant, Wood?)
Blue Energy (Water, Ice, Air)

..then to stay in theme with RGB, necromancy is Black magic and healing is White magic. :D
Othello
Novice
Novice

Post by Othello »

Ice... was quite difficult to tweak. Note sure about it yet...
Attachments
ice.png
ice.png (2.74 KiB) Viewed 3105 times
"I'm a Mog, half man, half dog... I'm my own best friend!" - Barf

My blog
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I would suggest to change the color of either the foreground or the background a bit because gray on gray is not only hard to separate visually but also quite boring.

Maybe shift the hue of the background more in the direction of blue while shifthing the hue of the snowflake more to cyan?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Dave
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dave »

Maybe if the snowflake's shape was more visible.. maybe change its color, so it's a bit closer to white. Bring out the barely visible, outer portion of the snowflake, so that it doesn't blend in to the background so much. (basically what Crush just said about gray-on-gray) ..I really think a larger part of the solution lies in the accentuation of the snowflake, than the color of the background.

Great for an initial draft, though. 8)
Superkoop
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Superkoop »

I think the snowflake is a bit too complex, too many lines coming off of it. Perhaps you could simplify it a bit? The color should be tweaked too, but Crush and Dave already commented that. ;)

The icons are looking beautiful so far! =D
In game I am Xaru
On forums I am Superkoop
IRL I am John
-View World map-
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

The icons are starting to look really nice :wink:
(sometimes I think you guys are over thinking the colors)
Pixel Battalion
Othello
Novice
Novice

Post by Othello »

Indeed.. I think I made it too complex. The goal is clarity not as-close-to-real-life-as-possible image. I till make another attempt with a simpler design. Maybe then I can put more accent on the borders.

Thanks len for putting them together like that. It does show that I need to get some more consistency in there. I think I need to modify air, lightning and ice to be mor ein line with fire, water and nature.

I think its good to let every element have its own color. It can simplify your user-interface design quite a bit. For example, you can color the name of each spell according to its element, etc...

Thanks for your comments so far!

My blog
Shaili (a.k.a. tds)
Novice
Novice

Post by Shaili (a.k.a. tds) »

I like the second one. Keep up with your good job ^^
Ingame I am: Shaili, Lv. 9X

Image Proud Italian TMW Player

Image You can find me on Last.fm
Othello
Novice
Novice

Post by Othello »

Here is a setup for iron.. I went for the bolted look. I'll redo the snow later on this week.
Attachments
iron2.png
iron2.png (2.36 KiB) Viewed 2850 times

My blog
Othello
Novice
Novice

Post by Othello »

Hmm.. looks much darker on this screen than the one at home

My blog
fate
Warrior
Warrior

Post by fate »

Othello,

it is hard to find a good shape for metal (cue the Led Zeppelin jokes), but I don't think that a rough cube is what I would most associate with it-- to me it conveys more of an `unrefined ore' image than a metal one. Perhaps a (shiny) ingot shape would be more appropriate?
Othello
Novice
Novice

Post by Othello »

I'll look into it. Its not rough ore, unfortunatly the current icon is much too dark. It should give a shiny metal cube look :D. I could make a 3D ingot shape.

My blog
Black Don
Knight
Knight

Post by Black Don »

the cube does not make me think metal and the bolt or rivets you don't see at normal size. When I think of metal I think of sheet metal with large over sized bolts like on old steam engine. :)

here is a quick example I threw together

"Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing, but too much of an awesome thing is, um, really really dumb. And bad." Strong Bad
Dave
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dave »

I'm going to have to disagree with you guys on this one. As abstract as it may seem, the cube is my favorite symbol for metal so far. Yeah, it seems a bit dark, but as far as the symbol itself is concerned, I like it better than the sheet with rivets or the idea of using an ingot. Using the shape of an ingot would seem more appropriate for an actual ingot item, though I suppose that's technically the shape Othello made. (At first I was thinking of an ingot as a rocky shape, rather than a processed form)

Speaking of earth, just to move the conversation around for the time being.. how are we standing on votes for that symbol?

The way I see it, we're at a tossup between the shape of a mountain and a chasm. Even though the symbol that I made for earth a long time ago was a mountain, I'm just as partial to the use of a chasm.
Last edited by Dave on 29 Apr 2008, 14:49, edited 1 time in total.