Why not send letters?

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Would you like to send letters in TMW?

Yes
83%
No
17%

Total votes: 24
Dimond
Warrior
Warrior

Why not send letters?

Post by Dimond »

Why not have a TMW post office?
Maybe a building where you can go in and buy paper and seals and then edit your letter and
talk to an NPC to send it to a player. Maybe even a mailbox icon?
Maybe the mailbox icon will be full of letters sent by friends?
And maybe even a quest to be able to have the mailbox icon and to send letters?
Maybe have a rule on the letter when you write it?

1. Do not put anything threatening in the letter

That's all I could think of.
And maybe take a screen shot of the letter and post it here?

I made a letter with a heart seal.
TMW-Letter.png
TMW-Letter.png (376 Bytes) Viewed 4503 times
:mrgreen:

Well maybe I could of made this shorter lol! :lol:
Dawn
Novice
Novice

Re: Why not send letters?

Post by Dawn »

Well Dimond I have done a topic already suggesting for a post office on this topic, http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4049
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Eventually, we are going to be able to send private messages in game... so the need for such an elaborate message system would be redundant (maybe)
Pixel Battalion
Black Don
Knight
Knight

Post by Black Don »

Len wrote:Eventually, we are going to be able to send private messages in game... so the need for such an elaborate message system would be redundant (maybe)
I think its a good idea to have a way get a message held so that when someone is not logged you can leave a message for them and they can retrieve when they do. :)
"Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing, but too much of an awesome thing is, um, really really dumb. And bad." Strong Bad
fate
Warrior
Warrior

Post by fate »

Hi,

Dawn's original proposal for sending items/money made considerable sense to me (though it risks players abusing the post office as a `mule', particularly if provided as a free service). Dimond's proposed extension of also permitting text makes sense in this context, however: (1) the tmw message board already provides private messaging functionality, (2) implementing the neccessary functionality in tmw's client and server would be nontrivial, as the required components are

(a) client-side general purpose text editor
(b) server-side storage of arbitrary text for arbitrary periods of time
(c) instance-specific attributes (index into text db) for items (I am still not sure whether these are or are not provided by eathena at this point).

If persistent (!) in-game messages are to be provided, perhaps it would be easier to connect tmwserv with the message boards, to allow players to read their mail in-game (whilst requiring private messages to be written on the message board). At the very least this would permit a more gradual implementation and duplicate fewer resources.
Dimond
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dimond »

Sorry dawn..
Didn't know you posted a almost simpler topic.
And I like your post fate. :o
Dimond
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dimond »

Here are some with different seals.
Hope you like them. :o
Letters.png
Letters.png (683 Bytes) Viewed 4316 times
Attachments
Letters.png
Letters.png (683 Bytes) Viewed 4313 times
Dimond
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dimond »

Hmm I wonder why there is two of them.
Dawn
Novice
Novice

Post by Dawn »

Dimond wrote:Hmm I wonder why there is two of them.
Literally, you posted 2 without knowing. :wink:
Othello
Novice
Novice

Post by Othello »

I agree, a postoffice would be awesome. Ofcourse you can have in-game mail system or use the board... but hey, we're role-playing here! Besides not everyone in the game is on the board.

A post-office fitst perfectly in the virtual world concept. The only important thing would be that you actually need to visit a postoffice in order to get your mail. Or... it might be that we need a postman, who walks around and gives people their mail. That would be cool...

or maybe the 'Do I have mail' spell ;)
"I'm a Mog, half man, half dog... I'm my own best friend!" - Barf

My blog
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Also the letter system could be used to send items to players that are on the other side of the world. Just like princess Peach Toadstool did.
I think letters and packages should be picked up at a post office. If a player could instantly send 10 new potions to a fellow party member that is in the middle of battle that would be too big an advantage. If there's mail for you there should be a notification telling you so.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Dave
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dave »

Well, how can you not be reminded of Escargo Express, from Earthbound..? (I suppose if you've never played it :oops: )

A simulated travel time would take care of any instant shipment advantage.

I don't see why there couldn't be direct delivery and pickup. Direct delivery would cost more.

Also, delivery could be a job that players could perform. Obviously, players would probably only deliver to NPCs and never to other players.
Dimond
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dimond »

I can imagine it right now!! The Mana World Express!
This will be so cool!!
I just hope letters and post offices come in the game!!
CHA!! :D
Dawn
Novice
Novice

Post by Dawn »

Dimond wrote:I can imagine it right now!! The Mana World Express!
This will be so cool!!
I just hope letters and post offices come in the game!!
CHA!! :D
Ok...
leeor_net
Novice
Novice

Post by leeor_net »

You could use actual building sites as Post Offices... or you could use a simpler system to send packages: mailboxes. That may be too World of Warcraft but it's an effective system. Hit up a mailbox, enter in the name of the recipient, subject and body of the letter and attach any items you want (within reason, WoW didn't allow Soulbound items for instance to be sent through mail or quest specific items, etc.), poerhaps money, hit send and off it goes. Only cost 30 copper for a simple letter, more depending on what items you were sending. This could be adapted so that 'shipping' costs are calculated on an item-weight basis.
- Leeor

"Oh, no thanks. I ate a boulder on the way in." - Shrek