[Follow my Footprints]

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Nyxl
Peon
Peon

[Follow my Footprints]

Post by Nyxl »

Hi,

though dariunas has already posted some nice "winter"-tracks, I have something as well which I started with a while ago

(mp3 | ogg | ~8,5MB)

Have fun :)
Othello
Novice
Novice

Re: [Follow my Footprints]

Post by Othello »

Hey Nyxl,

I like it! Its good somewhat sad song. Maybe a fallen kingdom, or when you are lost. Maybe a temple...

Some minor details:
- The high-pitched 'beep' is, to me, a bit too technogy.. you might maybe want to replace that with shimes, bells or something.
- The beep also doesn't work too well with the echo. For example at 0:52 it gets blended and makes the notes turn a bit off. Maybe the delay needs to be a bit longer, or the a little less wet.

Othello
"I'm a Mog, half man, half dog... I'm my own best friend!" - Barf

My blog
GonzoDark
Warrior
Warrior

Post by GonzoDark »

Nyxl wrote:Hi,

though dariunas has already posted some nice "winter"-tracks, I have something as well which I started with a while ago

(mp3 | ogg | ~8,5MB)

Have fun :)
Very nice! :shock:

But the file is corrupted, I had to use VLC to play it, my other players said "Error: It is not a stream-file" <-- don't know what that means, but maybe you do?

// GonzoDark
IchigoBlack (86) a.k.a GonzoDark (80) || HolyManaClan

dariunas
Novice
Novice

Post by dariunas »

00:52 - I see what Othello (sorry, I said Crush earlier) is saying, but I think the problem is the delay on the hi-hats and the hi-pitched synth (square wave?) interfere and as Othello says, it sounds a little off. I'd say keep the effect, they work fine, but as pointed out, the echo from the hi-hats and synth are battling a little bit - try adjust the hi-hat's hits around that point?

02:53 - The soft bells that go solo at 03:19 work brilliantly - good sound selection :P

I actually think this might be a more suitable track for the purposes of the ice wilderness than the 1st version I produced, because it's more explorative and wandering in nature.

TMW developers - do you have ice cave locations in the game. If so, what do you think about one track for the outside, and one for the caves?

editListening to the drums in my track compared to this, mine actually do sound too dominating in the mix as Rotonen said. I think Nyxl has the aural textures mapped out more tastefully, so was thinking of making the mix a little more minimal to help both tracks blend better (this is all rather assuming, by me that you guys decide to use both tracks?)
Last edited by dariunas on 23 Apr 2008, 19:24, edited 2 times in total.
Superkoop
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Superkoop »

dariunas wrote:00:52 - I see what Crush is saying
[SNIP]
Wow, Crush hasn't even posted yet, and you know what he's thinking! :shock: :shock: :shock:

:P

On topic, I like the tune a good bit. The song in general has a different feel from the current songs, feeling a bit more reminiscent of older games. (that's not a bad thing really, just not sure how it would fit in)
But the song doesn't really loop too well, or at all. It just ends and then starts again, so I think it would have to be changed a bit in that matter.

=)
In game I am Xaru
On forums I am Superkoop
IRL I am John
-View World map-
dariunas
Novice
Novice

Post by dariunas »

GonzoDark wrote:
Nyxl wrote:
But the file is corrupted, I had to use VLC to play it, my other players said "Error: It is not a stream-file" <-- don't know what that means, but maybe you do?

// GonzoDark
I usually find it's best to right-click, save, then playback the file from your hard drive?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I think the whole instrument selection is too electronic. Don't get me wrong: A few systhesizer samples aren't that bad, but you should have at least some instruments which sound like real instruments.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Nyxl
Peon
Peon

Post by Nyxl »

Hey, thanks for the comments :)

@Othello and dariunas
Actually, the triplets at this part are intended to be off-tempo and don't fit with the delay, either, of course. They express a snowflake being blown away by the wind (now don't ask if the rhythm or this interpretation was there first ;)) But I realize that it does sound a little "strange", especially if you haven't listened to it that often yet... But I can try to lower the HiHat-delay at that point if it only "disturbs" you with the HiHat present at the same time. ;)
The sound is actually saw/square and surely doesn't sound natural, but I tried to not make it sound too electronical but rather kind of mystic...

@Gonzo
Yes, I've sometimes had some issues with the export, but somehow the files could always be played; did you download the mp3 or the ogg?

@Superkoop
I personally don't feel like every track has to be loopable, because you have a clear beginning and ending that way. But well, I might think about that, too :)
dariunas
Novice
Novice

Post by dariunas »

I have edited my earlier comment by the way, all...

On the nature of looping, I think for a track over 6 mins long, it would work. I've played plenty of games where a track just ends and begins anew, the changes between the end and start have soft gentle dynamics so the transition would still be quite smooth and not detracting. What do you think?

Synthesized/natural-sounding music balance is a tricky topic - with synthesis you can open the doors to textures which are just not possible with 'real' instruments. But on the other hand, instruments do sound... well, more natural and perhaps more consistent with the game world.

So maybe leaning towards synthesis in an environment where you want the atmosphere to be more magical/mana-like is a possibility?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

dariunas wrote:So maybe leaning towards synthesis in an environment where you want the atmosphere to be more magical/mana-like is a possibility?
Indeed. I could think of a soundtrack for a mystical shrine based only on synthesizer samples.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
GonzoDark
Warrior
Warrior

Post by GonzoDark »

Nyxl wrote: Yes, I've sometimes had some issues with the export, but somehow the files could always be played; did you download the mp3 or the ogg?
Both, and I first tried in the default Ubuntu player "Totem" - normally it plays everything perfectly fine, without problems. (without a steam error :) )

Then I used VLC, and it ran without any more problems.

and Dariunas:
dariunas wrote:]I usually find it's best to right-click, save, then playback the file from your hard drive?
I did that :wink: I even deleted my cache on Firefox and re-downloaded both files, but same result.

But maybe it is just me that got this problem :roll: (if so, then just overlook my comment :) )

--------------

But as I said before, "Very nice". (It is really relaxing to listen to)

And about those high pitch sounds... it fits in nicely - but don't know if it fits in with the rest of the music pack.. so if you could make that less electronic and more alive, then it would be great ;)

I really like this track, so from now on I will expect great things from you ;) (just like I do from dariunas)

So keep up the good work :wink:

// GonzoDark
IchigoBlack (86) a.k.a GonzoDark (80) || HolyManaClan

Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

The structure of the apparent main melody is a bit erratic at times. The background has kind of been heard around a lot, but kind of nice and peaceful.

Has potential for further compositional development. (After which we are going to go into the happy kingdom of hurt of rendering it.)
This message used to be meaningful.