Temple Tüne!

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

feline monstrosity
Warrior
Warrior

Temple Tüne!

Post by feline monstrosity »

I noticed mention of several people making a song for the Temple section of the game, but no one has actually made one. I started making own anyway, and here's what I've done so far.

I want to know...
Am I wasting my time?
Is this the kind of track you want (style-wise)?
And how should I develop/change it?

EDIT: I forgot to actually attach the song :oops:
MP3 | Ogg
~Feline Monstrosity
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Temple Tüne!

Post by Crush »

First thanks for taking the time and contributing to The Mana World.

But first the mysteriouse chanting from 0:00 to 0:30, then a flute and at 0:40 a fast-paced beat? All this just doesn't fit together.

Don't get me wrong: all three components are quite good for themself, but the combination just doesn't work.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
feline monstrosity
Warrior
Warrior

Yes, I did think something about it didn't quite sound right :)
I'll work on something different, but have you any suggestions/preferences?
~Feline Monstrosity
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I am afraid my musical knowledge and talent is too limited to give you really good advice. Maybe Dariunas will give you some useful suggestions.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
dariunas
Novice
Novice

Post by dariunas »

feline monstrosity wrote:I noticed mention of several people making a song for the Temple section of the game, but no one has actually made one. I started making own anyway, and here's what I've done so far.

I want to know...
Am I wasting my time?
Is this the kind of track you want (style-wise)?
And how should I develop/change it?
It's never a waste of time :)

Style wise, apart from the points crush already mentioned, this is on the money once again. Having the flute in there's fine, the choir is good and the delayed bass drum up to 0:40 is also good...

Ok...

0:20 - This point a new change in the melody of the choir appears, I'm not sure why, but the first notes (G2 & C3 on piano roll I think) melt a little bit together - I think because at some point, we hear, maybe three or four notes of polyphony, and it sounds a little unfamiliar when we're expecting two or three, which is about right for a choir? I could be wrong, maybe I'm being really finicky.

00:30 - The flutes are nice in their own right, but seem to contrast a little too much with the ominous choirs I think... the melody movement is fluttery and very light. The choirs are, by comparison, heavier, slower. At the moment, the flute works with the quicker drums, but think about using them to complement the choir rather than have their own place. (see PM)

00:40 - The drums... again, nice in their own right, but bundled in with this track, not so suitable. If the player was wondering around in the temple and got jumped into a random turn-based battle, Final Fantasy style, then this change would be perfect! But unfortunately, it's not quite like that here, maybe best to keep to your idea of using delayed intermittent drum sounds - experiment with this idea a little more with a few different types of percussion. Feel free to see about leaving out percussion in areas of your song where you want other elements to soar and breathe more freely.

All in all, another nice track! This is well worth developing - I'm going to PM you link to an altered version of this track I did (I hope you don't mind) Not really of the whole track, but long enough to put a few elements for consideration such as use of flutes and choir...?
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

The development is open, so why not share your bounceback with the rest of the community too?
This message used to be meaningful.
dariunas
Novice
Novice

Post by dariunas »

Rotonen wrote:The development is open, so why not share your bounceback with the rest of the community too?
Fair dos...

http://www.infectedmusicdesigns.co.uk/T ... xample.mp3

Basically, slowing it to about 75bpm, moving the theme at 00:20 onto the flutes later in the track, (think it's a better instrument for it) and placing another harmony in lower registers on the choir. From there I think it's easier to keep the track at a more consistent pace...?

feline, the original flute line you had at 00:30 could still work, perhaps if you slow it down (again) to quavers instead of semi-quavers and moved it onto a Violins Pizz like sound (I could be very wrong, I wouldn't know till I hear it lol)
feline monstrosity
Warrior
Warrior

Woah, thanks for all the feedback, this is very helpful! Dariunas, your version is very helpful. I've not had time to work on this due to school work, but I'll try and get something done soon-ish (a few of days).

One of the things I like to do when making my own music without limitations is experiment with instruments in ways they would not usually be used. I think I've gotten too used to doing this and I'm no longer in practice with using instruments correctly.

I'll try something slower paced and more... orthodox, similar to dariunas' track. Then I'll get back to you.
~Feline Monstrosity
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

So, compositioning and rendition aside and from my primary point of view for a change:

The first example is actually quite fitting for a place where there is a lot of fighting and you want the adrenaline levels of players to stay up. Especially the flute, which is quite effectively creating a small feeling of hurry. Probably even a panic for some.

The latter example is better suited for a place you visit for non-battle purposes.

How you reflect this into the future development of this piece is up to you.
This message used to be meaningful.
feline monstrosity
Warrior
Warrior

Actually, it depends on how you want to create the Temple area. Will it be a high-level power-grind area with loads of enemies, or a more chilled out puzzle/maze-like area?
~Feline Monstrosity
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

I think both, the Temple will have a maze with just confusion and some monsters but also chambers full of monsters and even some bosses, so I think is a good idea to have both one for the maze and the other for the chamber and corridors, and thank you for your work on this music
Magick
Novice
Novice

Post by Magick »

Temple tune? Il see what i can work up. I should have something for you guys tommorow at the latest.
feline monstrosity
Warrior
Warrior

Heh... I hadn't completely forgotten about this project. :roll: I've come back to it over the months and tried out different ideas, but none of them have worked out.
I'm eager to see what you come out with Magick. :D
~Feline Monstrosity
GonzoDark
Warrior
Warrior

Post by GonzoDark »

Magick wrote:Temple tune? Il see what i can work up. I should have something for you guys tommorow at the latest.
I am really looking forward to listing to your new piece, and to hear how good your new skills in the art of music composing are. ;)

One thing is sure - we have been waiting for someone to pick this up.

// GonzoDark
IchigoBlack (86) a.k.a GonzoDark (80) || HolyManaClan