Hexico's Graphics

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Hexico
Peon
Peon

Re: Sword-through-head Hat

Post by Hexico »

Thanks, I'm really proud of it too. But you guys are going to be underwhelmed by the other directions..

I struggled to make the side views because the side views of the head are so oddly shaped.. And the goggles don't look like they're sticking off of the helmet like they should. If you guys want to edit it yourself or give advice, it's appreciated.

My main concern is that the hair might stick out through the helmet. I guess this could be solved with a tag on the item that tells the game "while this helmet is worn, the charset is displayed as bald".
Attachments
uploadthispilotshelmet.png
uploadthispilotshelmet.png (6.18 KiB) Viewed 2911 times
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Hexico wrote:My main concern is that the hair might stick out through the helmet. I guess this could be solved with a tag on the item that tells the game "while this helmet is worn, the charset is displayed as bald".
That idea is around for ages (or rather use a "compatiblity" version of the hairstyles which don't exceed the hair size but do still stick out on the lower end of the headgear), but unfortunately noone got around programming it.

Regarding the headgear itself: Very good so far -- the only thing that is missing is proper shading to make it look more three-dimensional.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Hexico
Peon
Peon

Post by Hexico »

Well, I was hesitant to do a whole lot of shading on the helmet.. The front view doesn't require a whole lot, since all it needs is a second color to show some shadowing on it because the goggles are the centerpiece.. but on the others I went ahead and added some more shades and maybe made it look more.. helmet-shaped. For the death version, I think I'm going to do something like.. maybe have the helmet on like it is regularly except have the goggles over the eyes.
Attachments
uploadthispilotshelmet.png (6.61 KiB) Viewed 2882 times
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

It looks a bit sterile. Blending the shades with dithering would make it look more rough and leather-like.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Dawn
Novice
Novice

Post by Dawn »

I agree with crush
Hexico
Peon
Peon

Post by Hexico »

I have yet to apply some leather effects to it, but..
Attachments
uploadthispilotshelmet.png (6.94 KiB) Viewed 2830 times
Shaili (a.k.a. tds)
Novice
Novice

Post by Shaili (a.k.a. tds) »

Hexico, I have tried to develop your idea. The result:
Attachments
uploadthispilotshelmet.png (7.99 KiB) Viewed 2816 times
Ingame I am: Shaili, Lv. 9X

Image Proud Italian TMW Player

Image You can find me on Last.fm
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

I like the colour scheme of hexico more.
Hexico
Peon
Peon

Post by Hexico »

I think it looks good, if not a little too reddish. It looks more like real leather.

Trying to make it look less.. boring, one-shaded, etc.
Attachments
uploadthispilotshelmet.png (6.87 KiB) Viewed 2707 times
zick
Novice
Novice

Post by zick »

Crush wrote:
Hexico wrote:My main concern is that the hair might stick out through the helmet. I guess this could be solved with a tag on the item that tells the game "while this helmet is worn, the charset is displayed as bald".
That idea is around for ages (or rather use a "compatiblity" version of the hairstyles which don't exceed the hair size but do still stick out on the lower end of the headgear), but unfortunately noone got around programming it.
What if each hairstyle had 2 versions, a version with a hat and a version without a hat (or with a hat that wouldn't smash down the hair)?
Hexico
Peon
Peon

Post by Hexico »

That's exactly what Crush was implying, I think. It's just that everyone is too lazy to actually do it. It's that or else maybe it's just not top priority.
Shaili (a.k.a. tds)
Novice
Novice

Post by Shaili (a.k.a. tds) »

Hexico, I think that the lenses should have a different colour ;)
Ingame I am: Shaili, Lv. 9X

Image Proud Italian TMW Player

Image You can find me on Last.fm
leeor_net
Novice
Novice

Post by leeor_net »

Hexico wrote:That's exactly what Crush was implying, I think. It's just that everyone is too lazy to actually do it. It's that or else maybe it's just not top priority.
It's really not about laziness. That sort of thing is a 'polishing and tweaking' type thing... I'm sure it could be done in just a few simple lines of code (or, as in LoM's case, setting the MiniMap name to a map-defined name took all of 1 line of code)... there are other things that are of much higher priority, for instance, setting up parties properly, finishing up guilds (although it seems mostly done), getting the server and client to synch properly and loads of other things.
- Leeor

"Oh, no thanks. I ate a boulder on the way in." - Shrek
Quiche_on_a_leash
Novice
Novice

Post by Quiche_on_a_leash »

I know mirroring the side view is a good time saver, but when you do that make sure you correct the lighting.
Currently the facing right view's is incorrect.

Other than that, keep it up it's looking nice.
Hexico
Peon
Peon

Post by Hexico »

Quiche_on_a_leash wrote:I know mirroring the side view is a good time saver, but when you do that make sure you correct the lighting.
Currently the facing right view's is incorrect.

Other than that, keep it up it's looking nice.
*smacks forehead* Didn't even think of that. I'll work on it later.