Currently open mapping tasks in woodland

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Currently open mapping tasks in woodland

Post by Crush »

These corrections are unnecessary, because when you look at the world map you will realize that the problem areas are not relevant because they are either covered by sea or by mountain areas which don't have to be accessable.

And Supercoops map has exactly the correct size. You forgot to take overlapping map borders into account when you drew the colored boxes.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
zipon
Novice
Novice

Post by zipon »

Crush wrote:These corrections are unnecessary, because when you look at the world map you will realize that the problem areas are not relevant because they are either covered by sea or by mountain areas which don't have to be accessable.
hmm ok crush thats a good think less work :)

Crush wrote:And Supercoops map has exactly the correct size. You forgot to take overlapping map borders into account when you drew the colored boxes.
sorry supercoop my mistake :wink:
Superkoop
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Superkoop »

zipon wrote:sorry supercoop my mistake :wink:
No worries. :)

Now, back to the task at hand, I would like to start working on the map west of 14, but first I need to change the west border of map 14. I need to know just a couple things for now, will the river that started up north just meet the river at the south of map 14? So I get rid of most of the water, but change it to a small river. Or, will the river also continue along to the southwest like this?
From what I understand, that is how it should look.

And now concerning the map west of 14. Map 14 has a height of 124, four tiles higher than what you specified, should I just make the next map 124 tiles? Or make it 120 and have it not connect to either the north or south border?
Also, should I just use the road next to Dimonds Cove, and take that on to the next map? Or should I just skip putting a road at all, leaving it to few or no dirt paths.
In game I am Xaru
On forums I am Superkoop
IRL I am John
-View World map-
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Superkoop wrote:Now, back to the task at hand, I would like to start working on the map west of 14, but first I need to change the west border of map 14. I need to know just a couple things for now, will the river that started up north just meet the river at the south of map 14? So I get rid of most of the water, but change it to a small river. Or, will the river also continue along to the southwest like this?
The river is not on the world map, so it is your decision what to do with the river.
And now concerning the map west of 14. Map 14 has a height of 124, four tiles higher than what you specified, should I just make the next map 124 tiles? Or make it 120 and have it not connect to either the north or south border?
The 4 lowest rows of map 14 are not even mapped properly. Removing them would be the best course of action. So please make your map 120 tiles and resize map 14 to 120 tiles and thus cut away the 4 lowest rows to make it the correct size.
Also, should I just use the road next to Dimonds Cove, and take that on to the next map? Or should I just skip putting a road at all, leaving it to few or no dirt paths.
Your decision.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Superkoop
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Superkoop »

Alright sounds good Crush! And thanks for the quick answer. :)
In game I am Xaru
On forums I am Superkoop
IRL I am John
-View World map-
zipon
Novice
Novice

Post by zipon »

Now when im done whet my map, what map shell i start to work on?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I got to say that I am really pleased with how this thread turned out.

The only map I would consider to do at the moment is the map north of map 28. Besides that I would like to ask you to wait a bit until we catched up with the implementation of the maps which are currently under construction or pending release and until we finished the planning of the next steps.
  • NOT a game master

zipon
Novice
Novice

Post by zipon »

sounds good crush.

shell i start to work on the map north of map 28?
Arkyan
Peon
Peon

Post by Arkyan »

The width of 14-1 is 150 instead of 140, should this be corrected as well since the height is having to be done anyway?

Also, if no one else is working on it, I'm going to attempt map 5 south of 14-1. Is there anything specific to this one other than a river south and west? Do paths need to lead off an any direction other than north?
"map 5 would look better with the new forest tiles by Saphy and Len. "
Is there anywhere I could obtain these and go ahead and work with them for map 5?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Arkyan wrote:The width of 14-1 is 150 instead of 140, should this be corrected as well since the height is having to be done anyway?
No, because the transition to the map east of it would suffer. When you start with the map south of 14 then please make it shorter at the eastern border and not at the western border because there is no transmission between the maps northeast and east you have to watch out for but there might be a transmission between the maps northwest and west of your new map.
Also, if no one else is working on it, I'm going to attempt map 5 south of 14-1. Is there anything specific to this one other than a river south and west? Do paths need to lead off an any direction other than north?
As you can see from the overview on the 2nd page of this thread there are no roads planned there, so you can do whatever you like.
"map 5 would look better with the new forest tiles by Saphy and Len. "
Is there anywhere I could obtain these and go ahead and work with them for map 5?
The tiles can be found on this thread but please don't use them yet. The tilesets are not finished yet and might be reorganized several times before they are released which will break your map.
  • NOT a game master

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

zipon wrote:sounds good crush.

shell i start to work on the map north of map 28?
Yes, please. I guess you know what you have to do from the overview map.
  • NOT a game master

feline monstrosity
Warrior
Warrior

Post by feline monstrosity »

When we are finished and the world is as planned (like this) the land bridge to the desert area won't be there and there'll just be sea, am I right?
~Feline Monstrosity
fate
Warrior
Warrior

Post by fate »

feline monstrosity,

all work is currently focussed on the Argaes continent, the small blob in the centre-right of the big map you pointed to. Thus, the current master plan does not expect the land bridge to disappear.

-- fate
feline monstrosity
Warrior
Warrior

Post by feline monstrosity »

Aye, I realise this. The map we're working on is the map of Argaes. But if you look at the map there is no land bridge the the southeast of Hurnscald (the Woodland Village). To the southeast is the cove of sea.
~Feline Monstrosity
fate
Warrior
Warrior

Post by fate »

feline,

I stand corrected. I had interpreted the maps as Hurnscald being on the eastern side of the continent, immediately south of the Trade City, when it is apparently the formerly unnamed `woodland village'-- apologies for the confusion and thank you for clarifying the matter :-)

-- fate