Scripting

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Arkane
Peon
Peon

Scripting

Post by Arkane »

Hi guys,

Blame has recently asked me to help with scripting of the new comers NPC's. In other words more or less make any or a few of the current Ian in TMW. I wanted to see if anyone had any comments or suggestions before I wrote the script for this. Should there be 1 NPC to handle all the explanation to the new comers? or should i make a few? I don't want their menu's to be too drawn out, thats why I'm thinking 2-4 NPC's so a new comer doesn't see this one NPC with 15 options to choose from and feel over whelmed. Anyways is there anything anyone would like to see in these new NPC's that wasn't introduced with Ian?

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions,
~Dan(Arkane)
n0th1n
Peon
Peon

Re: Scripting

Post by n0th1n »

I think a few would be better than one, organize it so either different ones handle different game aspects (questing, fighting, areas, inventory, whatever) or different levels of knowledge (very basic, moderate, advanced).

Although the game isn't THAT complicated yet, I'm sure you could do some of this, and it would be good to have something in place for when more is added I suppose.

Also, someone should tell the names of the closest towns/where the next town is, possibly, and maybe someone tell some of the backstory about the world (although there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of that at the moment.)
Arkane
Peon
Peon

Re: Scripting

Post by Arkane »

Thanks for the reply, I didn't think about the navigation of towns aspect. I will certainly make an NPC for directions.

I also agree on the making things less cluttered. I don't want new comers to feel overwhelmed thinking all our NPC have 9999 things to say, and they feel they have to read it all to know whats going on.

Thanks agian for your feedback,
~Dan(Arkane)