[DIS]game balance

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Spit23
Novice
Novice

[DIS]game balance

Post by Spit23 »

I just fought against fire and poison skulls in the new mines. My char has a dexterity value of 94 and my attacks fail the skulls about 90%. IMO that has not much to do with balanced game design.

Another thing I just dont understand is the bone knife and the setzer quest. It`s much easier and tooks much less time to get the bone knife, than to get the monster oil which is needed to get the setzer. but the bone knife is the better weopon. so why should do people the monster oil/setzer quest, when they can get a better weopon much more easily?

What do you think about it?
z0ro
Novice
Novice

Re: [DIS]game balance

Post by z0ro »

To me it seems like it's all about Luck, the more luck you have, the more chance you'll hit the skull and jacko
fate
Warrior
Warrior

Post by fate »

Hi,

(a) the Setzer is better than the Bone Knife most of the time (try measuring how long it takes you to execute ten attacks with each).
(b) your attack probability depends on dexterity and experience level, so unless you give us both, the statistic you quoted doesn't tell us too much. Also, your distance to the skull may play an important role.

-- fate
Spit23
Novice
Novice

Post by Spit23 »

(a) Thanks, I tested it and you're right. the problem is that you dont see it in the status window. You only see there that the setzer makes 5 damage less.

(b)I'm level 63 my dexterity is 94 and my accuracy 157%. It doesnt seem to make that much difference which weopon I use ore where Im standing. I always fail about 90% (or even more). Dont get me wrong, I like the idea of stronger monsters and that teamplay is needed to kill them. But IMO the chance to hit them is extremely low and I dont really see, how you can raise the chances. Of course you cn fight them in team but theres too less xp for it. So it doesnt make any sense to kill them and thats the big problem I see. Ok, you need the drops to finish the new quest I guess, but afterwards? Why should players train on a map where this monsters apear if they could train faster, easier and got more xp on other maps?
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

We should make the exp rewards ridiculously high and have proper drops for monsters which require ~10 people to kill them to make it worthwhile. We could also introduce the MvP concept from RO for such monsters.

The gameplay mechanics make it more likely to hit the monster when multiple people are attacking. For the current eAthena platform, this is one alternative for how the endgame is going to be.
This message used to be meaningful.