What database are we going to use ?

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Usiu
Peon
Peon

What database are we going to use ?

Post by Usiu »

I suggest Postgresql

* Its easy to configure
* Stable, popular and powerful
* Good documentation
* libpq can be compiled on windows (http://www.sql.org/sql-database/postgre ... win32.html)

Any other suggestions ?
gene
Peon
Peon

Post by gene »

PostgreSQL is under the GPL.
MySQL is under the BSD license.

Here's a nice comparison of the two: http://www.devx.com/dbzone/Article/20743

I'm a fan of MySQL, but that's only personal preference. I've yet to use postgre, so I can't speak on technical differences myself.

I do love that BSD license, though.
nym
Novice
Novice

Post by nym »

I think SQLite will be put in use immediately, while other DBMS bindings would come later. As SQLite is: a) fast. b) small

When it comes to DBMS, i would use PostgreSQL over MySQL anyday. Especially when PostgreSQL is the most standard compliant SQL available (Postgre is on its way to SQL:2003 compliance, and MySQL misses out _alot_). But when it comes to performance, MySQL wins hands down against PostgreSQL (as most cut down software does). When it comes to licensing, i think PostgreSQL is the better of the two (as BSD can be proprietorized).

Wow.. 110010 posts..
YOU ARE READING THIS!
Usiu
Peon
Peon

Post by Usiu »

So we need a c++ wrapper for sqlite3
added wrapper by Ren? Nyffenegger.

So the thread is closed :)
gene
Peon
Peon

Post by gene »

What are you intending on using the database for, client or server?

If the source for the database software isn't modified, licensing doesn't matter (except that it's free).
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Only the server will store persistent dynamic data in a database, it doesn't concern the client which doesn't need to remember dynamic data across sessions.
clsdaniel
Peon
Peon

Database Backend

Post by clsdaniel »

You could look the the ODK project, which offers a database agnostic access, and has C++ bindings, works on Linux, *BSD and Windows, and currently supports SQLite, MySQL and PostgreSQL, SQLite3 plugin is on development and will support other databases as well, transparently.

Ok, that was a shameless plug, but there is the advantage that i'm the developer ;), and can help providing any feature and coding for the project.

Site: http://odkit.sourceforge.net
E-Mail: clsdaniel@gmail.com
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Oh I thought it was already supporting SQLite3. We're "using" it, so I guess the first thing to do would be add support for it, if we decide to use odk.
Verious
Peon
Peon

Post by Verious »

I would suggest only selecting from database applications that support stored procedures and triggers as these can greatly increase performance (especially if the database is moved to a different machine than the server), improve security, and significantly improve data integrity and consistency.
nym
Novice
Novice

Post by nym »

Eh? I wouldn't really worry: there is a generic database interface which kindjal has written, which currently has backends for MySQL, PostgreSQL and SQLite3. Support for more databases will be added later if needed.
YOU ARE READING THIS!