Story?

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

feline monstrosity
Warrior
Warrior

Story?

Post by feline monstrosity »

Will TMW have an overarching plot line with quests that progress the story which unfolds as players play, like most other MMORPGs?
-If so, does anyone have anything in mind?
-If not, what structure will the game take?
~Feline Monstrosity
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Story?

Post by Crush »

Overarching epic questlines in the spirit of single player RPGs don't make much sense in the context of an MMORPG, in my opinion. When there are thousands of players and every player plays through the same story at the same time it would lead to awkward situations when you try to roleplay them. "I am the chosen one", "No, I am", "NO, I AM!!". Not everyone can be the big damn hero who single-handedly saves the world. There is also no plausible way to have the main quest take effect on the game world. You want one place in the story where the hero unintentionally activates an old artefact of doom, the sky turns purple and demons invade the world destroying multiple towns? When you do this in an MMO this will happen every few minutes and wouldn't have any emotional impact on the player anymore when its his turn to cause it.

So when we have an epic main quest it should be conceptualized in a way which makes sense when hundreds or thousands of people solve it parallel but at different times. I already wrote a basic outline for such a quest, but it was overtaken by the world development and now large parts of it don't make sense anymore:
http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Main_quest

Another aproach more viable for an MMORPG is the sandbox approach: No main storyline but a dynamic, immersive world where storys write themself through random events and player interaction. A concept for this can be found here:
http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Dynamic_Quests
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
VOQY
Peon
Peon

Post by VOQY »

Good story .
I Offline for several days...
feline monstrosity
Warrior
Warrior

Post by feline monstrosity »

Crush wrote:Overarching epic questlines in the spirit of single player RPGs don't make much sense in the context of an MMORPG, in my opinion. When there are thousands of players and every player plays through the same story at the same time it would lead to awkward situations when you try to roleplay them. "I am the chosen one", "No, I am", "NO, I AM!!". Not everyone can be the big damn hero who single-handedly saves the world. There is also no plausible way to have the main quest take effect on the game world. You want one place in the story where the hero unintentionally activates an old artefact of doom, the sky turns purple and demons invade the world destroying multiple towns? When you do this in an MMO this will happen every few minutes and wouldn't have any emotional impact on the player anymore when its his turn to cause it.
Yup. I thought exactly the same thing. I rather like the idea of a sandbox game with dynamic quests where the game world and story is moulded by the players. Story quests that can plausibly be done by everyone would be good, but I don't think they should be essential to progress through the game.
~Feline Monstrosity
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

sandbox vs epic questlines

i think the sandbox idea is good and can work with elements of a epic ....why not group some sandbox quest together to tell to give the pic of a bigger story and not just quest to quest...
why not have 4,5,6or 9 epics made up of 4-6 or so quest going on at the same time...
any way its what i think-skipy :wink:
back to working on---> (crypt)then(player 1.5) and more. *been on hold do to my laptop being fix* any feel free to add/help. ill be up and working as soon as i can ...good luck to all.

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Yeah, hey, yay"---Nirvana
Goku
Knight
Knight

Post by Goku »

Not really quests, but could be used as part of ideas for a story. There could be at some point new monsters come.. lots of them, like a certain amount and players could help each other kill the monsters and when a certain amount are killed something happens?
IGN - Trunks
Pixel Artist In Training
Work On Forest Armor
And Forest Monster