[WIP] The village of Saltern

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Frictor
Peon
Peon

Re: [WIP] The village of Saltern

Post by Frictor »

What about using NPCs to spawn mobs? Also, if you have set spawn points, people will just start farming that specific location on the map. Though I will admit, some maps could really benefit from that method.
On these forums I am primarily a messenger and an observer, so please don't shoot me! :P
Alxe
Novice
Novice

Post by Alxe »

Maybe, instead, a map where you don't get any experience, nor items, and you can invoke any monster. What you said may become the source of power for botters or, instead, the hook to their pertiditon.
Arch64 - We power it
Nickname: Alxe
Inkweaver
Novice
Novice

Post by Inkweaver »

This whole project is on hold until I find a good place top put it into the general scheme of things in TMW. It has to fit into the world map and I don't want to mess up the current map that is being used as a guideline.

I think I need the advice of more experienced mappers like Crush or Jax. Where could I add a map to TMW? What would be the best place to work on?
Goku
Knight
Knight

Post by Goku »

What's the point of killing monsters that you gain no exp/items from?
IGN - Trunks
Pixel Artist In Training
Work On Forest Armor
And Forest Monster
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Goku wrote:What's the point of killing monsters that you gain no exp/items from?
You have to.
Goku
Knight
Knight

Post by Goku »

To..
IGN - Trunks
Pixel Artist In Training
Work On Forest Armor
And Forest Monster
Aimo
Peon
Peon

Post by Aimo »

I like your idea - but:
A farmer selling herbs isn't quite a good idea, because there are many players, who earn their money with selling herbs on the 'blackmarket'. But if you made the buying prices high, you would help newbies to get some money.
Inkweaver
Novice
Novice

Post by Inkweaver »

I was planning to make the price about equivalent to the current player market price of 100gp. Perhaps an experience limit or a prerequisite quest would make the herb trade still possible....
Aimo
Peon
Peon

Post by Aimo »

Well, the current marketplace-price is about 100gp. So I would put the NPC-price between 100gp and 125gp.
Inkweaver
Novice
Novice

Post by Inkweaver »

Another aspect, is that in reality, this area will only be able to be reached by higher level players, because you have to go through mines that would kill most lower level players. So it would allow higher level players to harvest their own herbs quickly, and even sell the herbs to lower level players that can't get to the garden.
Kdep
Peon
Peon

Post by Kdep »

i like very much the idea :D
But the mines must have snakes, skulls and jack0s, so only the really high lvls can go to that garden ;)
Aimo
Peon
Peon

Post by Aimo »

Inkweaver wrote:Another aspect, is that in reality, this area will only be able to be reached by higher level players, because you have to go through mines that would kill most lower level players. So it would allow higher level players to harvest their own herbs quickly, and even sell the herbs to lower level players that can't get to the garden.
Yes, that's right. Humh, we need some TMW-financial-experts and -economists to assess this problem :)
Inkweaver
Novice
Novice

Post by Inkweaver »

Well, currently the idea is on hold until I find a place to put it into the world map anyway. I don't want to mess up the current world plan. Crush didn't seem too enthusiastic about the idea anyway, and even said we didn't need any new maps right now because there was a danger of the world getting monotonous due to the limited tilesets.
fraeuleinwunder
Peon
Peon

Post by fraeuleinwunder »

I like the idea, too. Concerning the tileset, I started to make some grassy forest tiles but was not sure if I should continue since the current set seems to be redone right now and I didn't want to interfere. So if the project of your village would mainly be stopped due to lack of tiles, I'd love to volunteer to make some valley tiles (I'd do them anyway, yet alone for practice, but if you could use them, that would be great.).
My TMW-char: Sarah-CF
Inkweaver
Novice
Novice

Post by Inkweaver »

That would be great! Basically, I would need some sort of tiles that would fit into the forest themed tiles to make it looks like the ground was falling away into a sort of declivity. Currently the forest tiles have such a cliff edge already but it only falls a few tiles down. Perhaps if you modified it so that it would work better for larger drops or could be used to drop down in steps without seeming too regular that would work well.