another musician

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Re: another musician

Post by Jaxad0127 »

If you really want something to do and no music is needed, we do need other stuff, like graphics (mostly pixel art), maps, sounds, ....
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Let's not jump the gun here.

Delayed commentary (just went through anything in your folder without going through this thread properly):

Castle:

Could benefit from a bit lower and relaxed tempo. It's not there to support a narrative or to be a story of its own, it's there to keep the ears busy and make the world seem more alive. In this sense the powerful push it has into your senses can be too much over a longer period of time (imagine hours of listening to that on a daily basis for months - which is actually plausible in an MMORPG).

Towards the end it gets subtle enough and there are nice varieties and buildups of the main theme. Even as it is now, you do grow used to it remarkably fast, so I think no major revamp is needed here.

If you get stuck on how to go beyond this, this is easily usable as is for now and if you later come up with something we can just replace it if necessary.

Clarinet:

It could be a bit more subtle and complex: more layers and less dominating roles to single instruments I say.

Desert:

Sketch 2 really had something going on there. I like the semi-western latino cowboy elements combined with the southern indian elements. Definitely worth further exploration.

Sketch 3 starts as something which would be great for a busy marketplace, invasive and intrusive enough. Then it fades into something etheric which fits a vast desert. IMO it needs a decision about which it wants to be or even two bastards can be spawned out of this one.

Forest:

The oppressive feeling it is giving off is great. It's really keeping you on the edge, constantly fearing something to pop out from the shadows. The clear bird chirps, cheerful and innocent per se, just make it worse. Approaching brilliance, or then it's just me, at 4am.

Mountain:

The constant peddle it is having is for some obscure reason bringing second world war naval warfare documentaries to mind for me. Could use a touch of aggressive low drum elements and a sturdy bass (plucked) to support the melody. Could also be I'm just letting my mind out of the cage too much this time of the night already.

Organ-choir:

Pretty generic nightmare theme. Could we come up with some hook to make it stand out of the mass of similar pieces?

Recorder:

I'm allergic to recorders due to music training at school around here starting with them. Kids can summon the most horrible toots out of the beasts. That aside a pretty generic "medieval" melody. Brings to mind some TV shows.

Slow horn:

I've been listening to this for 20min now and nothing sticks to my head. Whether this is a good, bad or a meaningless sign, I cannot tell.

On top of these, how about a percussion only piece? Should be fun to try to work in a melody there without going the jungle route of drum fetishism.

Anyway, sorry for the absence in this forum, but there you go, something to work with.
This message used to be meaningful.
saturn
Novice
Novice

Post by saturn »

I got rid of the birds in the forest song -
http://alokinnollahwe.com/randommusic/m ... h1.2.2.ogg

should I do anything more to this? I could work on making it loop seamlessly, but other than that, I think it's ready.

The castle one is basically done, but I know what you mean - I tried to make it have more of a distinct melody than the others, and stand out. If you are going to have a castle or something in a city that won't contain monsters, then people won't spend too much time in there (like, maybe a place that has just a few shops or quest people), but for a place where people will be spending a lot of time, I can see that it should be toned down. I'd like to leave it as-is though until I get a better idea what to do with it, so I think it's ready too.

I will work on the other ones with your comments in mind, thanks!
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Actually players spend a lot of time in the quest hub and trade hub towns. They're the places to where they always return to, not necessarily the places where they spend the most consecutive time. This in mind it will still piss off people if the music is overwhelming when the densely packed city is already visually overwhelming most likely with the speed of chat being catastrophically fast etc.

For a special area within a city, quite fine of an attribute to be overwhelming.

Actually the remark about the bird was a compliment... :) I'll listen to the new revision once I get back to a proper listening environment.
This message used to be meaningful.
saturn
Novice
Novice

Post by saturn »

Ok, I will work on finishing up the forest song (in terms of looping), and work on the other songs too, and I should have some stuff to show here this weekend.
saturn
Novice
Novice

Post by saturn »

Sorry I haven't had anything recently, I've been busy. I'll have several more things to show this weekend though!
saturn
Novice
Novice

Post by saturn »

Starting with the forest song, yet again:
http://alokinnollahwe.com/randommusic/m ... h1.2.3.ogg

That is the most condensed, loopable, finished version. It is ready to put in-game, if desired.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Before we put it ingame: Do you have a better title for it than "forestsketch1.2.3"?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
saturn
Novice
Novice

Post by saturn »

I'm very bad with titles, and usually name my songs with numbers to track their versions. I have no better idea for a name than "forest", but if any of you do, feel free to change it. "tranquilforest" would also work.
saturn
Novice
Novice

Post by saturn »

This is one more version with a tiny tweak, the ending now fades out more, and the beginning starts again (when looped). I don't know which would be better - the more continuous version, or this one. Probably the continuous version, but give this a look if you'd like:

http://alokinnollahwe.com/randommusic/m ... forest.ogg