Village in the Swamps

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Enchilado!
Warrior
Warrior

Village in the Swamps

Post by Enchilado! »

I'm currently making (or was making) a village set in a swamp, with the green swamp water all around and bridges between a few islands. I've used the same building tileset as Hurnscald, and the trees are all the typical woodland trees.
Also, I don't know if there's even any need for a swamp village.
However, if you devs out there think a swamp village would do well, any ideas on good tilesets for the trees? Or hey, pixel artists - I'm no good at that. If you've got no project, maybe you could work on some tiles for the swamps?
A few ideas of mine for the village (please, people, tell me what you like and what you don't):

A large market-place with plenty of stalls selling various items for various prices.
Three pubs/inns, all arguing and saying they have the best price.
A well-stocked Apothecary, with a resident Druid.
A maze east of the village with mossy stone walls. This maze leads to a sacred area part of some magic quest. Or possibly there is a monster dropping magical items which is only found at the centre of the maze. Or there is a portal in the centre leading somewhere else. Whatever.
A small port with Cap'n Swashlebuckle McHearty selling various fish and baits (if fishing is introduced).
A few unique monsters - Swamp Slimes, Sludge Nymphs, Toad...

So, if any pixel artists are interested, tiles would be needed for:
Stilted, moss-dripping, rotten-wood houses (optional stilts, so that can be in or out of the swamp) with very tall pointed thatch roofs and round windows;
Tall, spindly, mossy, leafless trees with ground and swamp bases;
Crumbled, rocky, mossy walls with corners, intersections and crossroads;
Overgrown, root-covered paths;
Broken, rotten bridges;
Market stalls with torn canvas roofs over them.

If anyone can supply any of these of other swampy graphics, that'd be wonderful. Also please tell me if a swamp village is a good idea. And take a look at this picture to get an idea of what it might look like:

http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/ ... lemire.png

~liking swamps a lot,
Enchilado

EDIT: I seem to have posted this twice. Sorry, admins.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Village in the Swamps

Post by Crush »

Sorry, but a swamp village is not planned at the moment.

Before you start with a new map you should look for map requests on the content development forum or ask on #tmw-content on irc.freenode.net if there are any needed maps. When you create a map which has not been requested the chances of ever getting it ingame are very low because it is very unlikely that it fits in the world development plan.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Enchilado!
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Enchilado! »

I started making it months ago, and I think it was Freeyorp said just to make it and then see. But okay - are there any places that need to made at the moment? I'm best at maps, I think. Pixel art I'm horrendous at and code I don't have a clue how to do. Mapping I can do, I think. Also - trees puzzled me at first in map-making, because I couldn't figure out the layers. Then I realised I could put each level of the tree on a different layer, T - B, T - M and T - T (or whatever). Is this how it's done normally?
Where do I find out what maps are needed?
Superkoop
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Superkoop »

Enchilado! wrote: Also - trees puzzled me at first in map-making, because I couldn't figure out the layers. Then I realised I could put each level of the tree on a different layer, T - B, T - M and T - T (or whatever). Is this how it's done normally?
Trees all go on the Fringe layer (the layer above ground) with few exceptions; the trees are done by importing the tilesets to their respective size. Normally the tilesets are imported as 32x32 tiles, however many of the tilesets need to be larger vertically, those are defined by their naming scheme with X2, X3, etc. Which means that the height will have to be multiplied by that particular number, ie X2==32x2=64, so the X2 sets would have to be defined as having a height of 64 instead.
See: http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/ ... ized_tiles
In game I am Xaru
On forums I am Superkoop
IRL I am John
-View World map-
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Enchilado, I would recommend you to read the whole article Superkoop linked to, as I can tell from the screenshot you posted that you made at least two more errors.

Regarding open mapping tasks: We currently have multiple world expansion projects running in parallel but they all found their mappers as far as I know. Starting another project now would most likely overstain our capacities and result in one or more projects biting the dust.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Also we really do not have the tilesets to pull off a proper swamp village.
This message used to be meaningful.
Enchilado!
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Enchilado! »

If all trees are placed on the same layer, how do we have one tree in front of another?

EDIT:
Also, I'm sure I read that article because I remember some of it, however I don't remember reading about the over-sized tiles. Maybe I thought I was too smart to bother with that, and skipped it.

~I'll make sure to read that whole article,
Enchilado
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Enchilado! wrote:If all trees are placed on the same layer, how do we have one tree in front of another?
The drawing order is from back to front. So the oversized tiles in the front are drawn over those in the back.
  • NOT a game master