Magic Tab Idea?

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Tintin
Novice
Novice

Magic Tab Idea?

Post by Tintin »

Hello I was thinking it would be easier to do magic if there was a magic selection menu, I will tell you what I mean.

It would be a box similar to the inventory, it would have all the spells and different level ones and icons fore each, if the player had the skills and equipment to do a certain spell it would light up where the other ones would be greyed out, the box would be opened just like the other tabs and you could drag spells into the shortcut bar for easier access.

It would look something like this (note I used paint so they aren't that great)

new Tab location

The Magic Menu

I forgot to change sum stuff,

1. Where the Inventory is I'd name it Magic Menu.
2. Where the weight is I would put a mana bar, to show how much mana.
3. Where the rectangles are I'd put a picture of the spell and the name under it and beside the name in brackets how many possible times to be conducted with the amount of stuff the player has

All around i think it would make magic easier and more used then it is at the moment. Your game so your call though.
Freeyorp101
Archivist Prime
Archivist Prime

Re: Magic Tab Idea?

Post by Freeyorp101 »

I've been working on something that should hopefully fulfill that role for a while now.

Keep in mind that the client doesn't know what the spells are (with, I think, fairly good reason ;) ) so displaying whether a spell can be casted or not, or any functionality that requires knowledge of the inner workings of a spell would be difficult.

The way that I went about obtaining spell information for the client to use was to require the user to enter in basic spell information (invocation, label, (perhaps optional arguments, optional notes)) as the player discovers new spells, much as how I imagine an 'in-universe' spellbook/notebook would function.

---Freeyorp
(09:58:17) < tux9th> Freeyorp: your sig on the forums is kind of outdated
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

Magic tab already exists on TMWServ build. Though the spells available are less then useless
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

That reminds me: I got to continue the implementation of the TMWServ magic system soon before anyone gets creative, implements a completely different system, doesn't notice all the related behind-the-scenes changes I did for it and thus leaves a mess in the source.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

Crush wrote:That reminds me: I got to continue the implementation of the TMWServ magic system soon before anyone gets creative, implements a completely different system, doesn't notice all the related behind-the-scenes changes I did for it and thus leaves a mess in the source.
I want to talk to you about your system on IRC some time soon.
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Oh no, it already started...
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.