Client news

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

adamaix
Novice
Novice
Location: A secret garden hidden deep in the woods of Hurnscald

Client news

Post by adamaix »

Hi,

I'm not having much time to play as I have been quite busy lately. These days I play for an hour every 2 or three days to catch up on old friends and to see if there is new stuff in the game world. It's is incredibly frustrating not knowing what on earth is happening, and the start up news, while a noble effort is currently not maintained properly. I understand the developers are under extreme time constraints, and can not do everything, but the beauty of Open source is the very nature of a community driving the project! I'm sure there must be a creative writer with a technical background that would be delighted to edit the news? If a may suggest a few points.

Many things that should have been in the news, sadly isn't. How are people supposed to know a new client has just been released? Not everyone visits the website regularly. What about the new monsters? squirrels? skulls? jack-o?

Future events, prior mention of handing out Towels on towel day would have been awesome. Not everybody hangs out on IRC, so that is not a valid method for an announcement.

New fluffy/pinkie hats and item drops ... these are things that would make me want to go check it out.

Need I mention the magic house? Not a word of that in the news either.

For me, I'm interested in the game world. I want to know if an NPC script has been updated, if thier are new monster, areas. I want to know if the game balance has been adjusted, and what particular elements. While this level of detail would be pretty hard to maintain, it could be delegated to a separate taskforce? or what about the busy developers just appending major improvements to a "CHANGES" text file in the git repository. That way, one of our creative writers can sugar-coat it for the ingame news.

I realise that most change information in propagated in the git logs, but its in between minor and/or irrelevant stuff. How many players in the game would look at 10 to 30 commit logs per day, and even for that matter, know how to look at it? Not to mention deciphering cryptic programmers statements?

All I wish for is accurate, reliable and relevant in game news that is updated frequently. (note the keywords.)

If its reliable, I could depend on it to schedule some free time to play. Please, is there any way we can compromise and at least somehow try to get the news updated regularly?

Thanks
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Re: Client news

Post by Kage »

adamaix wrote: Future events, prior mention of handing out Towels on towel day would have been awesome. Not everybody hangs out on IRC, so that is not a valid method for an announcement.
I think we didn't even know about towel day a few hours before we did it.
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
Goku
Knight
Knight

Re: Client news

Post by Goku »

Recently I think the changing of Spawn Rates should have been mentioned aswell as the new GM.
IGN - Trunks
Pixel Artist In Training
Work On Forest Armor
And Forest Monster