Epoch

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Ultim
Novice
Novice

Epoch

Post by Ultim »

Hello. Your site and project were referred to me by a friend, and i thought i'd just say "Hello, here we are!" You see, TMW and we have similar projects and people like us aren't the norm. It may be silly and trite, but Hello, here we are and we have a similar project to yours!
The name of my game is shared with this thread's name, and the site can be found here- http://www.projectepoch.com. Sure, the project may disappoint most of you right off the bat because it isn't open source. However, it is fervently gratis. And it is aimed as a throwback to the SNES style too. AND it's still in development just like yours! So there really are more similarities than differences, even though your main feature is different than mine.
Let's see... development for mine is a flipside of yours. Where you have some coding done but not much in the graphics department, we have a nice cushion of graphics for at least until after beta and very little coding (which i haven't decided whether or not i'll use). Where you have a heck of a lot of staff, i have two (i am the one that works on the game and the other keeps the site running). Sounds pretty small if you're counting but i've got enough tenacity to represent a few staff i'd think, heheh. So if you're looking for hope, the series of events in the development of the game have left it hidden, so maybe you won't find much of it there. If you're looking for a brother in diehard free gaming, Hello, here we are!
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Re: Epoch

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Ultim wrote:we have a nice cushion of graphics for at least until after beta
How lucky you are :D
Graphics development is slowing us a lot...
Anyway thank you to let you know, it's nice to share the same aim, and I hope at least one of us will succeed. I'll be checking your project, and I'm curious to see something done :wink:

Good luck!
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

You haven't released anything yet.
No screens, source, ... -> boring
Ultim
Novice
Novice

Post by Ultim »

Well, you see, that actually does have a point to it. i've seen inflated projects and they only bring disaster. More flamers, more thieves, and a general bulk of freeloaders. Releases? Screenshots? What are they for? Advertisement. For a pay-to-play game, these are necessary as getting everybody hyped up as much as possible is good for business. For our free games? If we build it, they will come. Games like ours have no problem getting attendance, and i'm in no hurry to crash my servers too early. If i knew you guys better or if you had an uploadable image system in your forums, i'd show some stuff to you.
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

Then did you just come to say "hallo, we are making a game too"?
Ultim
Novice
Novice

Post by Ultim »

Yep!
HaLLanHype
Novice
Novice

Post by HaLLanHype »

I swore I heard that name before... think another game has it...

isnt there an Epoch online that is like a mech game or something
m4ndr4g00n
Peon
Peon

Post by m4ndr4g00n »

HaLLanHype wrote:I swore I heard that name before... think another game has it...

isnt there an Epoch online that is like a mech game or something
I have to ask this now...you mean there is an Online Mech game?? I have to find that one ^^ I love Mech's 'cause I was raised with Robotech ^^
Verious
Peon
Peon

Post by Verious »

If you have a lot of graphics complete, why don't you post a mockup of what the game will look like.
Ultim
Novice
Novice

Post by Ultim »

HaLLanHype- When we first came up with the name there was only one other game sharing the name. It was a low quality, low population, text-based, browser-based game involving different epochs of time... we didn't really think it'd be enough of a legal threat to make us change our name. Maybe that is the one you were thinking of. If any more games have the same name, then they're dirty lying copycats and it was ours first! We have copyrights and patents and our lawyers will send them to the pits of Hades! HAAADEEEEEESS

Verious-i have, kind of. We have three or four different mock-screenshots made with Mappy (which is kind of extravagant seeing as how it's just to make mocks... but it really does make mocks much easier). Like i said, an inflated community will only increase headaches for us right now (and get our game's name stolen by dirty rotten liar-thieves!) so i'm not exactly trying hard to advertise. The only thing advertisement can do for us is attract more staff... and i've had it up to here with hiring non-paid staff. Which is why i'm the only staff member left. i really can't imagine how much difficulty you guys must have with all the non-paid staff you guys have dealt with. Have any horror stories about that, Elven?
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Hehe I could tell you a lot :twisted:
Tenche
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Tenche »

isint Epoch an old movie.... yeah it was a gay one :wink:
HaLLanHype
Novice
Novice

Post by HaLLanHype »

im talking about a large game company produced game

let me look it up
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Ultim
Novice
Novice

Post by Ultim »

Ugh, anime... and why do they have to name their companies with our words? You don't see English companies called Xiao Xiao. Thanks for digging that up... it's certainly something to think about before the game goes up.