Daily Quest Proposal

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Daily Quest Proposal

Post by Crush »

So far our idea was to have a lot of dynamic quests on TMWServ. There is a wiki article on this:
http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Dynamic_Quests

But this does of course not replace quests written by humans. Even the best random quest generator is no match for the storytelling power of a human author. Dynamic quests will be mostly filler material.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Galadriel
Novice
Novice

Post by Galadriel »

Crush wrote:So far our idea was to have a lot of dynamic quests on TMWServ. There is a wiki article on this:
http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Dynamic_Quests

But this does of course not replace quests written by humans. Even the best random quest generator is no match for the storytelling power of a human author. Dynamic quests will be mostly filler material.
True.

And even a weekly quest would be regularly visited by players. "What's this week's quest?" = curiosity. And curiosity is something regular players loose after a while.

This is why i'm not letting this go easily. If spammaster wishes to create quests? Then let's see what we can do to assist.

Recommendation:
  • A thread opened for each quest basic outline, barring surprises;
  • An Etherpad page created
  • Board members can volunteer to contribute work;
  • Selected contributors can be PMed the Etherpad link (to ensure secrecy for quest surprises)
  • PM the near-final quest to a Dev for review, suggestions and/or finalization.
  • Quest is added
This list is open to additional steps.
"Spoken like a tru lover of the beast" --zyperz, one time member of Corum's party. A little projection there, zyperz?

Verbose Ubuntu compiling instructions for the 4144 game patch
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Galadriel wrote:
Isn't there free software which provides the same functionality?

Free as in freedom would be perfect, but free as in free beer should be the minimum requirement (etherpad.com wants $8 per user and month when you have more than 3 users).
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Crush wrote:
Galadriel wrote:

Free as in freedom would be perfect, but free as in free beer should be the minimum requirement (etherpad.com wants $8 per user and month when you have more than 3 users).
Google Docs work nicely. They don't highlight contribution from each contributor separately, though.
Galadriel
Novice
Novice

Post by Galadriel »

jaxad0127 wrote:
Crush wrote:
Galadriel wrote:

Google Docs work nicely. They don't highlight contribution from each contributor separately, though.
Jax: Thanks. Rather than complaining, you found a possible solution.

Crush: you just complained. No cookies for you.

why we should use etherpad:
1st: on a weekly quest, i'd be surprised if contributors actually add up to 3 per quest.

2nd: Didn't I already state: "Selected contributors can be PMed the Etherpad link (to ensure secrecy for quest surprises)". :roll: If numbers are an issue (in regards to Etherpad), a reminder to SpamMaster (who claims he'll provide weekly quests -- which i encourage) that he should choose no more than 2 assistants should solve this, no?

3rd: There's an expression: "too many cooks spoil the broth". I don't recommend dozens of contributors per quest. Many minds may gush with creativity, but they can bring a lot of unnecessary, time-consuming arguments about how the quest should develop. Our goal is a quest/week ... not 1 per three years.

4th: As Jax so eloquently put it: "They don't highlight contribution from each contributor separately." Also, Etherpad can keep a history of revisions. If some moronic contributor decides to erase it all and fill the text area with "Spam the Etherpad, Spam the Etherpad", the most recent revision can be recalled by clicking one button.

The contributors could be limited to:
a) a story-line contributor (always encouraging to have someone input fresh ideas), and
b) a code jockey who will take the story and structure it for usage within the game.
"Spoken like a tru lover of the beast" --zyperz, one time member of Corum's party. A little projection there, zyperz?

Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Galadriel wrote:4th: As Jax so eloquently put it: "They don't highlight contribution from each contributor separately." Also, Etherpad can keep a history of revisions. If some moronic contributor decides to erase it all and fill the text area with "Spam the Etherpad, Spam the Etherpad", the most recent revision can be recalled by clicking one button.

a) a story-line contributor (always encouraging to have someone input fresh ideas), and
b) a code jockey who will take the story and structure it for usage within the game.
If we want revision history, we can use wiki software.
Galadriel
Novice
Novice

Post by Galadriel »

jaxad0127 wrote:
Galadriel wrote:4th: As Jax so eloquently put it: "They don't highlight contribution from each contributor separately." Also, Etherpad can keep a history of revisions. If some moronic contributor decides to erase it all and fill the text area with "Spam the Etherpad, Spam the Etherpad", the most recent revision can be recalled by clicking one button.

If we want revision history, we can use wiki software.
as long as the links to the quests can only be found by the person designing the quest and not open to general scrutiny. if wiki provides that, fantastic. If not, let's just go with Ether.

Galadriel
Novice
Novice

Post by Galadriel »

Crush wrote:
Galadriel wrote:

Here's some news of interest:

Etherpad's Open Source Release

http://etherpad.com/ep/blog/posts/ether ... ce-release

Moiraine Damodred
Novice
Novice

Post by Moiraine Damodred »

I would vote yes if this would be a proposal ;-)

But I would not go for a 'daily' quest. I'd even go as far as saying this event should be random in itself too. Put up several npc's in the world and have a server notice go out with a semi-vague message and have all but 1 npc point to the one that's holding the quest.

Items spent for the quest could be related to the amount of them being present in the world. Like... if there's a large amount of acorns, bug legs and cotton shirts inside all storages it could be a quest asking for those items (ie. 100 acorns, 100 bug legs and 5 cotton shirts) and give a reward that's consumable but wanted (something like a random amount of potions). Make it some sort of a gamble: sometimes you spent lots of time ending up with less value than you started but when you do get more back it's worth all the previous attempts.

Basically you could tinker with the amount of GP in the world (from what I've seen as a long time iRO player" too much money makes players bored; not enough money (gained within a given time periode) would make players annoyed).

If you take the example I used it could also be triggered based on the amount of GP in the world. If it goes above 'x' amount hold a quest and let it last long enough to drain 'y' amount of GP.

It can also be used to have large amount of players go to remote places that are not popular. I have been playing for a couple of days and have seen lots of places with no players at all. It's a waste of space don't you think :D