Would it be good to see the target HP while fighting it?

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Would it be good to see the target HP while fighting it?

Poll ended at 02 Oct 2009, 07:10

Yes, an HP bar and current HP value.
15%
Yes, an HP bar only.
37%
Yes, but just the HP value.
4%
No, what would be the use of this silly feature?
33%
What is a MMORPG?
12%

Total votes: 52
Cotillion
Novice
Novice

Re: Would it be good to see the target HP while fighting it?

Post by Cotillion »

Kage wrote:why not just include a ingame pokedex?
please explain 'pokedex'
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

Cotillion wrote:
Kage wrote:why not just include a ingame pokedex?
please explain 'pokedex'
http://pokemon.wikia.com/wiki/Pok%C3%A9dex
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

So what you mean is an ingame monster encyclopaedia?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
TheBasilisk
Novice
Novice

Post by TheBasilisk »

LOL@ Kage.

I don't think that was very serious :P

Anyway, I suggest something more like the display that shows the amount of damage that has been done to the monster in 4144's patch. That would allow the player to "learn" how much HP monsters have, and show them approximately how many more hits it would take while not completely revealing anything (Especially because of mutations).
Hissssss...
bcs86
Warrior
Warrior

Post by bcs86 »

I've changed my opinion about seeing the monster's health.

Speaking of Pokey Man, part of the excitement in those games was the suspense of watching a powerful enemy's health slowly countdown after a hit, and hoping it would not stop decreasing before zero.

The difference here would be that we have many monsters on screen at one time, the task becomes reducing the clutter of names and HP bars. One would want to see the status of who s/he is fighting and ignore the surroundings.

My old opinion had to do with wanting cinematic gameplay. TMW doesn't have the resources to pour into that, No matter how crazy I would need to be to help implement it. That was a dumb idea doomed to fail.

Sorry for having wasted your time.
posa
Novice
Novice

Post by posa »

i think it's a great idea, lots of times that i was fighting jacko and another monsters with high hp i didn't know how much hp it had left.. and i think it should only be possible to see the hp bar of the monster you're fighting at the moment, so the screen doesn't get spammed of bars in a full of monters area
Posa
:)
Ametz
Peon
Peon

Post by Ametz »

Any more news about this ?
I would like to see something like a health bar implanted so :)
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi Ametz,

About the HP bar, it seems to me that the definite solution was to show the monster state using the name or the target circle color.
The perfect implementation would have been to change the monster sprite based on its hp left, but it's much more demanding for pixel artists, and yet unclear upon how to handle this server-side.

Anyway, the devs feared to end up in a too protocol specific option, so the idea was kinda lost undecided.

I also know that 4144 has added an hp bar for party members, and a way to display the amount of damage dealt to monsters. Maybe you should try it? Maybe we should add this in mainline?
About that, I don't know... :)

But it's maybe to decide at least about that last question.

Best regards.
Serf
Peon
Peon

Post by Serf »

There could be something similar to a Final Fantasy Libra move... ( i know someone already suggested a spell, i just wanted to get more in depth with it)
But this spell could reveal the targets health for the remainder of its life or for a certain amount of time, it could also tell you things like its weakness whether it be magic or swords or bows or whatever.