Why does every TMW fork die?

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Pixiebobs
Novice
Novice

Re: Why does every TMW fork die?

Post by Pixiebobs »

Aethrya works for me on 1 account not the other

Still has more then TMW

lots more to do .

But i have friends in both games . Pixie
Breaking News: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of Suck It Up & Move On, and crashed into We All Have Problems, before coming to a complete stop at Get The Heck Over It. Any complaints about how we operate can be forwarded to 1-800-WAA-WAAA. This is Dr. Sniffle reporting from Quitchur Bitchen
octalot
Novice
Novice

Post by octalot »

Aethyra's still going, just had a mess-up with transferring ownership of the aethyra.org domain. It's now on aethyra.com.
Retired from TMW; incomplete projects looking for a dev:
Cave foliage (plants up the walls): http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5659
Cave wetwalls (water down the walls): http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5816
Doulos
Novice
Novice

Post by Doulos »

Habari wrote:what about the servers?
well that's what i call the IE effect :D
1.Most People use windows because it "comes with your pc"
2.Most people use IE instead of firefox , because "it comes with windows"
SO:

3.Most People Play server.themanaworld.org because "it comes with the client" (as it is the default server)
I started playing TMW because I found it while scrolling through the list of available games in the Ubuntu Repositories. Last I checked, the other varieties/forks/whatnot weren't there. While this may not be entirely conclusive, it is probably the result of Canonical's quick research as to which "fork" is the most popular.

And my understanding is that TMW is now included in "Portable Apps", another coop and a sure boost in the arm for the number of online players who use this nifty Windows-based USB download.

I wonder what would happen if server.themanaworld.org were replaced with something else in the default client... hmm. We we all be at some other forum wondering about the demise of TMW?

:lol:
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Maybe we should go for a server browser system similar to WON / Steam.

Every eAthena or TMWServ account server connects to a "master server" at startup and registers itself.

Instead of having the hostname server.themanaworld.org set by default in the client, we ship the client with the URL of the master server where it downloads a list of available servers and displays the list to the user.

Server could be ordered by "trust level". Green for servers which are administrated by the development team, yellow for servers hosted by people we know and red for servers which registered themself but we have no idea who hosts them.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Turmfalke
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Turmfalke »

Matt wrote: TMW had the luck that the right people kept hanging around - otherwise it would be dead now too since the main dev Elven is not here anymore.
hu? did I missed something? I even saw him in game yesterday.
I stand beside the holy man
The monarchs fear my wrath
None may move the way I can
Ever the crooked path
a knight
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

Turmfalke wrote:
Matt wrote: TMW had the luck that the right people kept hanging around - otherwise it would be dead now too since the main dev Elven is not here anymore.
I said Elven is not here anymore! Do I have to repeat myself? He is gone! GONE!
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Matt wrote:
Turmfalke wrote:
I said Elven is not here anymore! Do I have to repeat myself? He is gone! GONE!
He's been more and more active recently.
salmondine
Warrior
Warrior

Post by salmondine »

The repositories for many Linux distro's carry TMW installs, if other forks were there, I would try them.
That was how I found TMW in the first place, can't remember which distro now.
I play on other TMW servers from time to time.
Aethyra lost some data in domain transfer, like we did here last Halloween, only worse...longer time between backups.
But Aethyra is still there.

So why do the other forks die?....Not in main distro repositories for new Linux users to try, who haven't learned to compile from source.
Not submitted to gaming sites for reviews?
Not relentlessly submitted to search engines to improve rank....bad search engines in general, preference to $$$ the way of the world.
Lack of consistent development.
Bad relations between GM's and in-fighting, this really crippled Aethyra's player base, IMO.
A general public reluctance to invest time in a alpha or beta game because of constant changes and possibility of lost time/value.
But TMW or TME is oldest so most players are invested here, makes starting at lvl 1 a bit daunting =]
Fother
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Fother »

I think forks/servers seem to die because they often feel like a "B-side" of a record. While we may have plenty of things that are inconsistent with the same style or quality standard, I don't really see many of the forks/servers improving apon it any further (or back leaching any of our improvements when we get to them), in fact their standards seem to deteriorate further.

I personally go onto TAW, since (in my head) it almost feels like server "2" (if that makes sense?), just with the latest git clientdata, the blood batch, and from time to time some very interesting and clever quests (many which would be good to see on our eathana server). In the event something freaky happens, or we're being DDoS'd, I usually pop onto TAW instead and see many of our players hanging out there.

The Brazilian server is another I like to explore... they've done some interesting things with the tile sets and maps, and I can't wait to see how they'll lay the next regions out. (And I'm not just saying that because they're using my docks set :P ).
Crush wrote:Maybe we should go for a server browser system similar to WON / Steam.

Every eAthena or TMWServ account server connects to a "master server" at startup and registers itself.

Instead of having the hostname server.themanaworld.org set by default in the client, we ship the client with the URL of the master server where it downloads a list of available servers and displays the list to the user.

Server could be ordered by "trust level". Green for servers which are administrated by the development team, yellow for servers hosted by people we know and red for servers which registered themself but we have no idea who hosts them.
Yes please 8)
"Fother" Jarrett Huxley
Evil Pixel Artist
Wiki Page | Trello | Google+ Profile
Doulos
Novice
Novice

Post by Doulos »

Fother J wrote:I personally go onto TAW, since (in my head) it almost feels like server "2" (if that makes sense?), just with the latest git clientdata, the blood batch, and from time to time some very interesting and clever quests (many which would be good to see on our eathana server). In the event something freaky happens, or we're being DDoS'd, I usually pop onto TAW instead and see many of our players hanging out there.
Now, that's interesting. Less devs at The Alternate World, and yet more quests added.

Now what's stopping TMW devs from porting some of the TAW events/quests/whateverThey'reCalled just for interest's sake? I have a funny feeling the TAW devs would consider it an honor to have these additions ported over. TAW could serve as the testing ground. Sounds like fun to me.
The Scarlet Rhus
Novice
Novice

Post by The Scarlet Rhus »

Also, about the Google results:

Try "The Mana World", and I mean with the quotes.

~just 59,200 results, I'm afraid...
The Scarlet Rhus
/quit tmw
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Len wrote:
TMW had the luck that the right people kept hanging around - otherwise it would be dead now too since the main dev Elven is not here anymore.
But that's also TMW's problem

Essentially the queen bee died and the workers kept on going without direction, each pushing the world in the direction they wanted
I actually never had the expertise to rule such a big project TMW became, although I was always trying to do my best...

Stay tuned for the "Return of the queen"...
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

ElvenProgrammer wrote:
Len wrote:
TMW had the luck that the right people kept hanging around - otherwise it would be dead now too since the main dev Elven is not here anymore.
But that's also TMW's problem

Essentially the queen bee died and the workers kept on going without direction, each pushing the world in the direction they wanted
I actually never had the expertise to rule such a big project TMW became, although I was always trying to do my best...

Stay tuned for the "Return of the queen"...
I also finally managed to take off my silk gloves in exchange for an iron grip on things.
This message used to be meaningful.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Doulos wrote: Now what's stopping TMW devs from porting some of the TAW events/quests/whateverThey'reCalled just for interest's sake? I have a funny feeling the TAW devs would consider it an honor to have these additions ported over. TAW could serve as the testing ground. Sounds like fun to me.
The people who are doing the content development seem to be more interested in realizing their own ideas than digging through the git commit log of TAW, searching for those commits which are worth porting and merging them.

Remember: we are doing this for fun, not for customer satisfaction.

But when you want to do this, you could create a list of revision ID's which are worth including in your opinion and ask in #tmw-content what they think about them. When they have a revision ID they can include the commit with a few keystrokes when they want to.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

They die because first of all, no one wants to play on the server that has 5 players online in peak, and no one also knows how to kick it out.

They projects has better start than TMW when I came here 4 years ago, however graphics/coding skills is not enought to make a successful project - and it seems to be forgotten.

Regards.