reaper

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

Re: reaper

Post by nmaligec »

skipy,

I dont know how to make trigger attack animation AND use a skill (at least not yet)

All it will go is walk, stand still and as soon as it get close to its target it instantly blows up and dies. There is no attack sequence, only death sequence. Thats why use the death sequence as the attack + death all in one. Also it will just pop up beside the reaper, the reaper cant have any special summoning animation (limits of the game engine, at least for now)

Also, should probable start another thread for the ball lightning.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

ToDo's for new servers script engine and protocol resulting from this discussion: Making beings perform arbitary actions graphically without implying a physical action, spawn projectile particle effects.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

Post by nmaligec »

I have been working on the particle effects for the new mobs. I decided the reaper needed a new one so that it wouldn't look stock. Here it is, let me know if it looks good. It will be slowly floating up across the reaper.
mist-face-a.gif
mist-face-a.gif (3.31 KiB) Viewed 2303 times
If anyone has time maybe they can do an angry version. I can only seem to be able to make them look sad. My basic procedure was make a white blob, use eraser on low opacity and the smudge tool until it looked wispy/mist like.
The gimp file is attached as zip, if it will help. It should be 30 by 30 px and as many frames as needed.
Attachments
mist-face.zip
xcf file
(4.03 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

nmaligec wrote: If anyone has time maybe they can do an angry version. I can only seem to be able to make them look sad.
To create an evil face, add eyebrows in a v-shape or make the eyes triangular shaped pointing in the direction of the nose. When you add a smile in addition to this you'll end up with a diabolic grin.
:twisted: (<- example)
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

im more of a fan of the sad face....
just what i think...
ive having a hard time see what it is/dose...monster? part of reaper death?....i guess it dose not matter ether way ...ill sure you have a good plan for it...its looks good ...and i like it lots :mrgreen:

(imo) it would be cool to see romeing the halls before the reaper .....but thats just what i think... :|

---------------------skipy
back to working on---> (crypt)then(player 1.5) and more. *been on hold do to my laptop being fix* any feel free to add/help. ill be up and working as soon as i can ...good luck to all.

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Yeah, hey, yay"---Nirvana
Arphetic
Novice
Novice

Post by Arphetic »

nmaligec wrote:Skipy,

From what you said above I got an idea for how the boss fight can be enhanced. What if every time a zombie/summon dies, the reaper regains a small bit of hp. It might make players think twice about killing off the henchmen and so make the fight different from the usual systematic genocides.

About lightning attack: I was thinking maybe this could be done procedurally and handled as a special case, so that it can be drawn on top of all other layers when appropriate (see fig 1 and 2 below). This could let the target square be variable distance from the boss (see fig 3 below to see why this needs to be done). For now I guess leave it as is. As an interesting note, in fig 1 I forgot to set the y offset, so that it looks like the bolt 'branches are coming from the reaper's hands and the lightning ball is what hits the player. I left it like that in the pic just to see if anyone thought It might be better than when the attack starts as a ball and then ends with the branched bolts. Also the player is standing beneath the reaper and unseen.
lightning.png
Perhaps he could warp players to a certain distance away from him (or against the wall) when he does his attack?

Btw just a question out of interest, will this boss be healing itself? Or regenerating its hp somehow?
bcs86 wrote:This game is a long way from looking like something people could take seriously.
nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

Post by nmaligec »

I might as well respond to the old question. It might spawn further discussion on what might be useful for a boss fight.
Arphetic wrote: Perhaps he could warp players to a certain distance away from him (or against the wall) when he does his attack?

Btw just a question out of interest, will this boss be healing itself? Or regenerating its hp somehow?
There is no way atm for a mob to warp players around. The only way to do this is through a script and there is no way for a mob to interface with a script, besides its 'on death'. With all the limitations tAthena has, I will have to keep it simple. This doesn't mean that there wont be a few surprises and a heap load of challenge.

As to the boss healing. I don't think this will happen anymore. I haven't tested it, but I don't think there will be visual queues for the players to see if the reaper heals itself. In this case it is almost indistinguishable to just giving the reaper more hp.

Now on to the update and gfx req

skipy:

As I mentioned elsewhere, I would like to have the reaper's attack gfxs in case I do get around to adding functionality for it to the server source code. Here is a quick mock up of what I got in my head (to be completed as a separate sprite-sheet contained inside a particle fx).
reaper flame.gif
reaper flame.gif (4.87 KiB) Viewed 2165 times
I would also like to have the reaper's sprite-sheet updated so that there is a small ball of black fire forming over its head in the attack frames (or at its fingertip when left/right attack).
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

i think i get it now and how to do it :wink: ----skipy
back to working on---> (crypt)then(player 1.5) and more. *been on hold do to my laptop being fix* any feel free to add/help. ill be up and working as soon as i can ...good luck to all.

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Yeah, hey, yay"---Nirvana