[REQ] Gone fishing (SPOILERS)

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Ceros
Warrior
Warrior

[REQ] Gone fishing (SPOILERS)

Post by Ceros »

I have talked with some of the Devs about working out a very limited fishing system. You wouldn't be able to fish anywhere, but at key spots you'd be able to do a little fishing mini-game. I need a few pixelated items in order to proceed, however. Usually skipy is always willing to help out with my crazy ideas, but he's working on a bunch of other stuff, and I need a lot of things, potentially. So I am asking for help form anyone who is interested.

Here are a list of things I am requesting, ranked in order of importance:

[Must have]

Fishing pole - this will need to have an inventory icon and a drop icon. I don't think at this time there eneds to be any animations, or anythign. The script will check to see if you have a pole before allowing you to fish

Fish - I need a bunch of fish. Say, 3-5 small fish, 3ish medium fish, and 2 big fish. More would be great, or course. If these don't work, I could get by with one of each, but the more types I get, the more diversity and quests that can result. Because you guys do the work, I am all about letting you guys name the fish you guys submit as long as they pass artist's muster or whatever (nothing too crazy please!).

[Secondary Importance]

Fishing Bench - I don't have the coding skill necessary nor do I believe that eA currently supports the ability to fish wherever there is water. To this end, you will only be able to fish where there is an NPC. It doesn't make sense to have a human looking NPC there, so I am proposing a 'Fishing Bench' or just a 'Bench' that will be placed next to water. You iniate a conversation, are given the chance to sit and fish, then the minigame starts. Initial distribution would be to docks only, probably, but later on I would like to move to other places (lakes, rivers/waterfalls/random shore spots, etc). This isn't the most important aspect, (I could always go with a stone square on the ground if nothing turns up) but this is the best way I have though to implement.

Sea-based monsters/mobs - I have been told that we have a snail already drawn up, as well as a duck and of course, the sea slime. Jaxad0127 also mentioned doing a recolor of a snake to make a 'sea snake'. I need 'sea mobs' because I'd like for there to be a random chance that instead of pulling up a fish, you would get a bite and pull it up to find a sea monster/mob instead. While I think we could use stuff already created, if you've had your eye on making a water based mob but haven't figured out how it would be used, hhere ya go. These would be really nice to have, but aren't essential for the concept.

[Nice, will add depth]

Fish related NPCs - Looking for two people - first, a 'Fish monger' (one who sells fish). For the fish monger, I am picturing a fat NPC with an apron and a meat cleaver. He would be the one who issues you quests to retrieve different types of fish, and would later request new fish that could be caught elsewhere. If I don't get this done, I can have quests issued by 'An old fisherman', or barring he doesn't get pixeled, I can just have the General Store buy fish.

'An old fisherman'. The old man (perhaps with a ranger type hat, but straw instead or aged?) witha fishing pole. It'd be nice if he was sitting (less work) because most NPCs are standing, but whatever is easiest. He will be the source of the initial fishing pole (quest to get still undecided) and depending on what else I receive from this request, other things. If he doesn't get drawn up, I could always have another NPC issue the quest or have the General store start selling fishing poles, but I'd really rather not.

[Crack Dreams for the Future]

A boat that is out to sea. If I can get all of this done up, eventually I'd like to have the fish monger request for "Fish that are more rare, harder to get, and deeper out to sea". The idea would be that you could charter a fishing boat (IE, talk to someone, the old fisherman perhaps or another NPC) and get warped to the middle of the ocean, on a boat. The boat would let you fish for bigger, better fish and you'd have a chance to see different monsters. Obviously, this would take some time, and you shouldn't waste your time unless some of the stuff above gets put out (or maybe this could become it's own concept - you are hired to protect a boat from sea monsters, in a mercenary type fashion, etc).

If you have any questions, please ask for me in IRC (#silverknights, #tmw-content, etc) or on the boards via this thread or Board PM. If you would like to work on something, please reply so we don't have a lot of duplicated effort (IE, five people working on a fishing pole).

Thanks for reading!
SpamMaster
Novice
Novice

Re: [REQ] Gone fishing (SPOILERS)

Post by SpamMaster »

Rather than a Fishing Bench, why not just an animated NPC 'Fishing Spot' (or something) that stands one square into the water? After all, NPCs can be placed anywhere, can't they? And they can be animated.

Fish (saltwater):
  • Sardine (Common, heals 25 hitpoints)
  • Hobson's Anchovy (Common, heals 50 hitpoints)
  • Caramel Snapper (Uncommon, heals 400 hitpoints)
  • Coral-faced Eel (Rare, heals 300 hitpoints) Can be made into Jellied Eel (800 hitpoints)
  • Pufferfish (Rare, poisons if poison not removed by Old Fisherman, then heals 600 hitpoints)
  • Red Herring (Very rare, heals 1 hitpoint)
Fish (freshwater):
  • Little Skipper (Very common, heals 10 hitpoints)
  • Bluebelly Trout (Uncommon, heals 200 hitpoints)
  • Tree Perch (Uncommon, heals 350 hitpoints)
  • Spotted Mud-Eel (Uncommon, heals 400 hitpoints)
  • Silver Darter (Rare, heals 20 hitpoints)
  • Circular Trout (Rare, heals 500 hitpoints)
Fish (open ocean):
  • Holy Mackerel (Common, heals 300 hitpoints)
  • Wandering Cod (Common, heals 450 hitpoints)
  • Guitar Tuna (Uncommon, heals 650 hitpoints)
  • Swordfish (Rare, heals 600 hitpoints) Quest to turn its sword into a weapon.
  • Total Shark (Rare, heals 750 hitpoints)
  • Grey Whopper (Rare, heals 1000 hitpoints)
Have a spamful evening, sir.
Goten
Peon
Peon

Post by Goten »

SpamMaster wrote:Rather than a Fishing Bench, why not just an animated NPC 'Fishing Spot' (or something) that stands one square into the water? After all, NPCs can be placed anywhere, can't they? And they can be animated.

Fish (saltwater):
  • Sardine (Common, heals 25 hitpoints)
  • Hobson's Anchovy (Common, heals 50 hitpoints)
  • Caramel Snapper (Uncommon, heals 400 hitpoints)
  • Coral-faced Eel (Rare, heals 300 hitpoints) Can be made into Jellied Eel (800 hitpoints)
  • Pufferfish (Rare, poisons if poison not removed by Old Fisherman, then heals 600 hitpoints)
  • Red Herring (Very rare, heals 1 hitpoint)
Fish (freshwater):
  • Little Skipper (Very common, heals 10 hitpoints)
  • Bluebelly Trout (Uncommon, heals 200 hitpoints)
  • Tree Perch (Uncommon, heals 350 hitpoints)
  • Spotted Mud-Eel (Uncommon, heals 400 hitpoints)
  • Silver Darter (Rare, heals 20 hitpoints)
  • Circular Trout (Rare, heals 500 hitpoints)
Fish (open ocean):
  • Holy Mackerel (Common, heals 300 hitpoints)
  • Wandering Cod (Common, heals 450 hitpoints)
  • Guitar Tuna (Uncommon, heals 650 hitpoints)
  • Swordfish (Rare, heals 600 hitpoints) Quest to turn its sword into a weapon.
  • Total Shark (Rare, heals 750 hitpoints)
  • Grey Whopper (Rare, heals 1000 hitpoints)

no, no, and no..

-facepalm-

:evil:
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

welcome to Runescape
Pixel Battalion
Goten
Peon
Peon

Post by Goten »

Is that suppose to be a "diss"? Last time I checked Runescape was a zillion times more popular than TMW.
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Goten wrote:Is that suppose to be a "diss"? Last time I checked Runescape was a zillion times more popular than TMW.
popularity isn't everything
Pixel Battalion
SpamMaster
Novice
Novice

Post by SpamMaster »

Don't even talk to me about RunEscape! I wasted 9 seconds of my life on that!

Spammy
Have a spamful evening, sir.
Goten
Peon
Peon

Post by Goten »

Never said it was..

And I know you meant it as a compliment anyways
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

I really hate gathering systems in which you spend all your time in one spot watching your char fish.(a minigame as you proposed might make this more lively) sorry for bringing up runescape
Last edited by Len on 25 Oct 2009, 05:02, edited 2 times in total.
Pixel Battalion