TMW Client Patch (binaryMind)

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

binarymind
Peon
Peon

TMW Client Patch (binaryMind)

Post by binarymind »

I have been developing some changes for the TMW Client (based on 4144's patch) and i thought perhaps some other players would like them...
So, visit http://tmw.mentebinaria.com if you'd like to know more.
(And please let me know if the patch file isn't done right and tell me what is the right way to do it)
TheBasilisk
Novice
Novice

Re: TMW Client Patch (binaryMind)

Post by TheBasilisk »

Hi, Binary Mind! :P

What exactly is different other than the "Corrected" filenames?
Hissssss...
Knight
Knight

Post by 4144 »

binarymind wrote:I have been developing some changes for the TMW Client (based on 4144's patch) and i thought perhaps some other players would like them...
So, visit http://tmw.mentebinaria.com if you'd like to know more.
(And please let me know if the patch file isn't done right and tell me what is the right way to do it)
For what this patch? Current version based in very old my patches, many features removed, and not added new features.

And yes patch file look like has garbage.
binarymind
Peon
Peon

Post by binarymind »

This patch isn't based on an old 4144 patch; i only selectively added the things i found most useful to gameplay.
The Analysis window was based on "KillStats", but it's very different, and i'm already working on more additions to it.

Also, i don't mind criticism, as long as it is constructive... :?
Knight
Knight

Post by 4144 »

binarymind wrote:This patch isn't based on an old 4144 patch; i only selectively added the things i found most useful to gameplay.
The Analysis window was based on "KillStats", but it's very different, and i'm already working on more additions to it.

Also, i don't mind criticism, as long as it is constructive... :?
For create diff files, look to: git help diff
binarymind
Peon
Peon

Post by binarymind »

I have already read the "git help diff" a lot of times and i still can't get it right, but thank you for the sugestion.
The "--find-copies-harder" option was creating some garbage because it found some files with over 90% similarity... so i fixed it and just updated the file in the webpage.
Another problem is that i'm working on a copy of the mainline folder, and the patch i'm creating isn't between two git commits, but between two folders.
My patch seems to partialy work with "patch -p1 -i<filename>", only it doesn't write the new files to the proper place and doesn't rename the files it is supposed to (but it does patch the existing files).
I'm using Cygwin, so i hope it hasn't something to do with it...
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Try git apply instead of patch -p1. Why are you using that flag with git diff?
binarymind
Peon
Peon

Post by binarymind »

Excelent, it worked! (...and i found some more garbage... will fix it in next release)
The output is a folder with all new, renamed and changed files. One only has to copy it over the main project to be able to compile.
I use the "--find-copies-harder" flag because otherwise "git diff" will not detect file renames.
I actually have to do it twice: one with and one without the flag. I then take the file produced without the flag and replace the lines referent to the renamed files with the ones inside the file with the flag.
I am sure that it isn't supposed to be done like this, but it works...
Thank you for the tip! (It actually makes sense that a patch created with git should be applied with git, i just never thought about it...:))
binarymind
Peon
Peon

Post by binarymind »

I have just posted another release of my patch.
I have created a Command system that works similarly to the Item system, only instead of an Inventory of Items that loads from the server you have a Book of Commands that loads from a local file.
I also improved the site a bit, so it's easier to see the features i introduced.

http://tmw.mentebinaria.com/

Enjoy! ;)
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Post by enchilado »

No.
binarymind
Peon
Peon

Post by binarymind »

Someone finally informed me that the GIT repository has moved...:? (really, someone should update the TMW wiki... :()
So i have updated my patch to comply with the new GIT repository and published the new version on my site.

I also moved the site to a new location:
http://tmw.mentebinaria.com/ now redirects to http://mana.mentebinaria.com/
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi BinaryMind,

The book and magic shortcuts windows quite correspond to the TMW mantis 736.

To keep being pragmatic, is there a way to bring this to the mana GIT mainline?
(The question is clearly aimed at every TMW dev. ;) )

Best regards,
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Bertram wrote:The book and magic shortcuts windows quite correspond to the TMW mantis 736.

To keep being pragmatic, is there a way to bring this to the mana GIT mainline?
(The question is clearly aimed at every TMW dev. ;) )
The solution by Binary Mind is unfortunately not acceptable for mainline in my opinion because it is too spoilerific.

The user is not supposed to know the incantation for the spells before an NPC told him. The contents of the command.xml BinaryMind created do not belong onto the users machine. A solution would either to receive the information from the server or to have a "learning" magic menu which automatically detects working incantations when the user uses them and records them for later use without requiring to know them beforehand.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi Crush,
The user is not supposed to know the incantation for the spells before an NPC told him. The contents of the command.xml BinaryMind created do not belong onto the users machine.
:arrow: Agreed completely.
A solution would either to receive the information from the server or to have a "learning" magic menu which automatically detects working incantations when the user uses them and records them for later use without requiring to know them beforehand.
:arrow: Maybe a simpler solution would be to let the player manage (add/change/remove) its own entries?
This way, the eA server wouldn't be touched by the code, and a better (or more generic) way could be later added along with Magic on ManaServ... without having to undertake a too heavy solution for eA in the meanwhile.

What do you think?

Best regards.
binarymind
Peon
Peon

Post by binarymind »

I just added the commands.xml file for convenience, since i wanted to mess with as less original code as possible, and i didn't think anyone would want to add a Book system to the server.
It is in my plans to implement add/modify/remove buttons to the Book window, so the player can modify the Book directly in the game and without the need to edit any files.
Another solution (but incompatible with add/modify/remove buttons) would be to store the Book in the server (as the Inventory) and add each spell as the player learned it. This would reduce the Book's potential, since the Book can store any kind of text commands, such as server commands (like "/who" or "/query").

I must say that i simply copied and adapted the whole Inventory/Item system, so don't give me too much credit for this... ;)
Also, i would be more than glad to see any of my modifications added to the GIT mainline!!! :D

And now, a question:
Since i was dumb enough to rely on the old GIT repository for a couple of weeks :oops:, and i don't want to repeat the same mistake, wich bug tracker should i use: http://mantis.themanaworld.org/ OR http://bugs.manasource.org/ ?