Mapping Questions.

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Kane
Peon
Peon

Mapping Questions.

Post by Kane »

I would like to know more about the layers and this sort of what I got right now using the Tiled (Qt) Map Editor Version 0.3.1.

I'm learning this all by playing this tonight:
Ground - This is your ground layer usally grass, sand, water, floor, rock.
Mask - This usually your fences, rocks, walkways, bridges.
Fringe - This is usually you plans and tree's (players hides under this).
Over - this is doing things like ledges and such (players hides under this).
Collision - This to place the red blocks to stop players from walking on it.
Object Group 4 - This is for things like portals, spawning, and TONS more

Now I'm not sure if Object layer needs to be called Object Group 4 I tried 3 and such but it went back to normal tileing.

I would like or love to have a crazy list of or most of them maybe with a example of Object Group 4 features.
This what I understand so far:

Name: Name of the object like warping outside but has no real purpose just self reference?
Type: warp, spawn I really like to learn the list of this.. Or pointed to the right spot in the source files ;)
Then you add all the values and such like x and y and so forth.

Anyways I hope people could offer examples of many things you can do.

Edit:
1) How do you test your maps out?
2) I tried a new map making Object Group 4 and really anything and I could not make objects window. I edited a map from the git locally to test my skills and I guess that is why I was able to do it before. So I'm clueless how to make a object layer :(
[Kane_Hart] on FreenNode and TMW IRC.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Re: Mapping Questions.

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Kane wrote:I'm learning this all by playing this tonight:
Ground - This is your ground layer usally grass, sand, water, floor, rock.
Mask - This usually your fences, rocks, walkways, bridges.
Fringe - This is usually you plans and tree's (players hides under this).
Over - this is doing things like ledges and such (players hides under this).
Collision - This to place the red blocks to stop players from walking on it.
Object Group 4 - This is for things like portals, spawning, and TONS more

Now I'm not sure if Object layer needs to be called Object Group 4 I tried 3 and such but it went back to normal tileing.
Only "Fringe" and "Collision" are needed (capitalization doesn't matter). No other names or layers matter.
Kane wrote: I would like or love to have a crazy list of or most of them maybe with a example of Object Group 4 features.
This what I understand so far:

Name: Name of the object like warping outside but has no real purpose just self reference?
Type: warp, spawn I really like to learn the list of this.. Or pointed to the right spot in the source files ;)
Then you add all the values and such like x and y and so forth.
Types: warp, spawn, particle_effect, npc (capitalization doesn't matter for any). Properties depend on the type. For warps, dest_map, dest_x, and dest_y for destination details. For spawns, monster_id and max_beings (for manaserv); eAthena also has eA_death and eA_spawn (timer values). For particle_effect, the name is the file to load, no properties used. For NPC (only used by manaserv), name is the name shown to the client and the properties npc_id (basically view; mapped to npcs.xml in client data) and script are used.
Kane wrote:2) I tried a new map making Object Group 4 and really anything and I could not make objects window. I edited a map from the git locally to test my skills and I guess that is why I was able to do it before. So I'm clueless how to make a object layer :(
Tiled has different layer types. The two main ones (and only supported at the moment) are tile and object layers. The layer menu allows you to add layers of either type.
Kane
Peon
Peon

Post by Kane »

Silly me and thanks for the info I see the add object layer now :)
[Kane_Hart] on FreenNode and TMW IRC.
LuCo
Peon
Peon

Post by LuCo »

Where do I find the tileset folders on Mac OS X? Anybody knows??
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

It would be easier to just install git and clone tmwdata. World data used byt he client is split into zip files that overlap a lot.