Prototype #002: Evergreen Trees [NEW]

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

hal9000
Novice
Novice

Prototype #002: Evergreen Trees [NEW]

Post by hal9000 »

As suggested by Betram i've gave a look at [REQ] works in the Development Section, finding the Jaxad post about the new Snow Dock, and I see Lien's works about a Snow Tree: Lien has got a good idea since the Snow Area looks.. ..empty 'couse is lacking of trees and snowy forests: here it is my interpretation of the tree:

I choose the other forest-area tree only for naturalistic realism..maybe the work can be improved maybe is good how it is right now..waiting for comments..

the original Jaxad post & Lien's tree could be found at: http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8797

PS: the second image shows the trees in their enviroment next to a nice wizzy with a wonderful hat on his head :mrgreen:

Francesco
Attachments
snow-tree.png
snow-tree.png (10.75 KiB) Viewed 4707 times
snow-tree-enviroment.png
snow-tree-enviroment.png (26.16 KiB) Viewed 4706 times
Last edited by hal9000 on 19 Dec 2009, 18:50, edited 4 times in total.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Re: Prototype 002

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Len was also working on a snowy tree:
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I am on my mobile so I can't really look at the details but the trees by HAL9000 seem quite good to me, even better than those by Len.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Crush wrote:I am on my mobile so I can't really look at the details but the trees by HAL9000 seem quite good to me, even better than those by Len.
I can't say that they better than Len's. They are just different. Quality is considerably good. However there is one issue - lack of AA on edges of tree. (Anyway Len's trees also don't have anti-aliased edges).
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Very nice work with the SD3 style
Len was also working on a snowy tree
:? Early attempt before I really knew what I was doing. I actually used the blurr tool :oops: (hal9000 are nicer in my opinion)
Pixel Battalion
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

hal9000: Perhaps you could add some snow on trunk?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

poison_ivy wrote:I really like them both. So, use them both.
They would look bad together because the style is too different.

@hal9000: Can you do the same to the other tree? A set of snow/dirt tiles like on the SoM2 screenshot would also be good. We could then create a nice snowy forest map to the east, south or west of the current snowfield map.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
hal9000
Novice
Novice

Post by hal9000 »

@ i: sure, I can add some snow on the trunk.

@ Crush: yeah basically I can add it everywhere, (with the other tree do you mean the Lien's one or the Len's one?)..yeah I like the idea of the forests in the snow map ;)

some questions about your replies:

I don't understand the "SD3 style" and the "SoM screenshot" you refer..

Francesco
Last edited by hal9000 on 19 Dec 2009, 18:49, edited 1 time in total.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Sorry, I thought I posted this screenshot from Secret of Mana 2 (SoM2) aka. Seiken Densetzu 3 (SD3) here (I did in the snow docks thread)
It's one of the games recommended as a reference for TMW.

When you ever need inspiration I would recommend to download an SNES emulator (I recommend SNES 9x) and the ROM and play it for a bit. The game is full of briliant pixel art. It also shows some very nice examples how we could use our support for animated tiles, by the way.
  • NOT a game master

yourmistakes
Knight
Knight

Post by yourmistakes »

i think both trees actually look quite good; and is there any reason there cant be 2 kinds of trees in the area?
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

yourmistakes wrote:i think both trees actually look quite good; and is there any reason there cant be 2 kinds of trees in the area?
Their styles are too different. We could use both on different maps, as you aren't likely to deciduous trees too far north, where you can still find evergreens.
TheBasilisk
Novice
Novice

Post by TheBasilisk »

jaxad0127 wrote:
yourmistakes wrote:i think both trees actually look quite good; and is there any reason there cant be 2 kinds of trees in the area?
as you aren't likely to deciduous trees too far north
I accidentally 93MB of rar files, is this dangerous? :P
Sorry, couldn't resist :mrgreen:

I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that Len's trees wouldn't fit in well with other parts of the mana world either.
Hissssss...
Doulos
Novice
Novice

Post by Doulos »

Some observations:

* hal9000's trees are darn nice. I can see them breaking up the monotony of the Nivalis snowfields.
* Some snow on the trunks of the tree would be appropriate, however only near the base of the tree. The tops look thick enough to protect most of the trunks from being entirely covered. A bit of snow sprinkled around the roots and just a little up the trunk would be adequate. It must also match the fact that the tops aren't entirely white.
* Since I am to assume these are pine trees, the bases (trunks) should be rounder. Pines are notoriously round. These bases look more like oak trees, etc.
* While Len's pine trees are nice, they would take up quite a number of tiles (in comparison to hal9000's). They are nice. If they were scaled down to the same size as Hal's, they may make a nice tree to add to Nivalis.
Kane
Peon
Peon

Post by Kane »

First 2 posts are great trees I must say. They look really good and the snow on the ground looking amazing!
[Kane_Hart] on FreenNode and TMW IRC.
hal9000
Novice
Novice

Post by hal9000 »

ok I've updated the Prototype 002:

- snow on the trunk (a little for good realism);
- little cromatic improvements;
- the edge of the image has some alfa-pixels to best fit on all kind of grounds.

Only an observation..are you sure that the snow on the trunk couldn't be repetitive when observed on 30 forest trees? (don't know)

Now I'll work on Len's pine..

Francesco
Attachments
snow-tree2.png
snow-tree2.png (13.87 KiB) Viewed 4382 times
snow-tree-enviroment2.png
snow-tree-enviroment2.png (23.73 KiB) Viewed 4382 times
Last edited by hal9000 on 19 Dec 2009, 18:49, edited 1 time in total.