CR1 Island Story (Spoiler)

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

bcs86
Warrior
Warrior

Re: CR1 Island Story (Spoiler)

Post by bcs86 »

The story is fleshing out well. The corrupt economy situation with the poor, underpaid laborers helps to better explain why the player starts out with very little equipment and money, and why the player would want to leave the island to seek a new life.
Serf
Peon
Peon

Post by Serf »

Reading the story over a couple of times gave me an idea.
RE: the pissing off the townsfolk... There could be a points system. There could be academy points (or fame) and town points.
Thats as far as I got on that topic today.
I'll try to think of more tomorrow, so i'll post back.
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Post by enchilado »

I have an idea for the main quest of the entire game, but I'll post it here because it fits in very much with the CR1 island.

-------

The small island was protected from the raging seas by the Gods. The soil was always fertile, the huge waves always stopped before crashing down over the land and the island supported a population twice as high as it could without the protection and the guidance offered to them.

However the Gods could only interact with the island's inhabitants via the seven Earth Crystals, which stood in sacred shrines around the island's shores. These transparent gems shone with light always as the Gods poured for their magic to help the island's people be strong and healthy and happy.

One day a stranger was washed on the shores of the island, thin and pale and wet from the sea. The island's healers took him and cared for him, and he proved himself to be an intelligent and helpful young man, always grinning at his adoptive parents and his neighbours and his friends.

As he grew older, he began to smile less. He grew agitated. He would go without sleep for days, and although he went out with his friends he talked little. He was always looking at the sky.

The truth of it was that he was in love. A girl from the village, rather plain in feature but quick in the head, had captured his attention, and he could not pass a moment without thinking of her. He thought she perhaps did not know he existed, although she did - everyone knew of the boy who had been found on the beach.

Eventually he gathered up his courage enough to ask her to marry him. He knew that he could not live if she said no. But worse than that - she told him she had already promised to marry one of the young man's friends. This caused the man an agonising amount of anger, and he turned and left the room.

In his fury a storm gathered, for he was possessed of a weather-magic that had kept him alive on his journey through the sea. Thunder rolled as waves crashed against the barriers made by the Gods, and the man went to the house of his beloved's husband-to-be and struck it down with an explosion of lightning. Fire roared and the rain began to cease.

When the morning came, and the last of the fire was scarcely visible in the light, a meeting was held to which the man was not allowed. He sat instead beneath a tree, thinking of nothing. As people began to leave the town hall, the girl he loved approached him, and told him that it had been agreed he could not stay on the island. Four people had died in the fire - although by a stroke of irony, the man he had meant to kill had survived.

The man was to be sent away on a ship, to live or die: the islanders did not care. Most of the islanders. The girl took him in her arms and they kissed for the first and last time, and then the man pulled away from her. She stared after him, filled with sadness because she both loved and hated him, and did not want him to leave.

That night another storm gathered. The man was to be sent as soon as a ship was readied, but he would not wait for that. In the darkness and the howling wind, though unaffected by it himself, he visited each of the Earth Crystal shrines in turn, taking them from their places and putting them into a black sack. Each dimmed as he removed it from its holder, and he grinned as he took the last, and suddenly the island shook. The storm was worse then ever as he laughed into the night, and then he was gone; carried away by his own foul weather.

Without the Earth Crystals the island slowly began to die. Crops failed, and sickness became more and more common. Worse still, the Academy which had once been open to all who wanted it was locked up by its masters, who stayed within, and began to lead a separate life from the rest of the island. Just a few families were allowed within, and although they left occasionally they were treated with dislike bordering on hatred from most of the townsfolk.

Duck I'm tired of writing this Chocolate Cupcake now. Any basically the player has to try to recover the Earth Crystals by sailing of in a boat for the rumoured mainland. They have to go the guy, who's now old and powerful, and try to convince him to give them the Crystals back, but they can't do this until they reach level 99. I'm done.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

No points system for CR1: we want to deliberately still keep it simple.

I'm not saying I'm opposing the idea, I'm barely making it clear it is outside the scope of CR1.
This message used to be meaningful.
Serf
Peon
Peon

Post by Serf »

Rotonen wrote:No points system for CR1: we want to deliberately still keep it simple.

I'm not saying I'm opposing the idea, I'm barely making it clear it is outside the scope of CR1.
Ok I understand.