ideas for Big displays

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

No, maze puzzles/maps would be easier, still giving high-res players advanatages.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

Is there a reason that, for smaller displays, everything can't be scaled down, so that they see the same number of tiles, just at a smaller scale?
Tenche
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Tenche »

ya

Admin move this topic to General Development section
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Talaroc wrote:Is there a reason that, for smaller displays, everything can't be scaled down, so that they see the same number of tiles, just at a smaller scale?
This simply poses the same technical problems as scaling everything up for higher resolution displays. If we solve either we have probably solved both.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

i doubt that the tiles and sprites would still look good when automatically rescaled.

here a screenshot scaled 1:1. thats how it would look at 800x600.

here rescaled to fill the same area at 1024x768

here for 640x480

i used bicubic interpolation. this might be too slow to use it on the fly. that means we will only have such a good quality when we precalculate the tilesets for every possible resolution. when we rescale everything at runtime the graphical quality will be even worse.
xand
Novice
Novice

Post by xand »

Isn't a higher resolution mostly to see more ?

At least I remember that all those top down games I played
just increased the view-size. I was always happy too see more.

And btw: Thats one of the big reasons to play a game windowed.
Scaled to 1600x1024 tmw would look strange imo... :D
maci
Knight
Knight

Post by maci »

jup

it was not about scaling the tiles it was about seeing more tiles at the same time
ElvenProgrammer wrote:Maci: don't be rude, we're here to help people ;)
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Since we're open source, I think we cannot prevent people from increasing the map viewsize, but I also think our default client should have the same area visible for every resolution. And since we're open soruce it's not that hard to do pre-scaled tiles for different resolutions if people want them (they could have custom repositories).
This message used to be meaningful.
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

Well it wouldn't matter. If the server sends only the informations about a area that is always the same people can modifiy the client, but they only would see the map. no monsters, players, items, npcs, balblalbalbaa
ktm
Novice
Novice

Post by ktm »

if any resizing takes place, i'd say to go with even numbers for scaling. that way we could use scaling methods suitable for "snes-style"/"comic" content (Imagehq2x, hq3x etc) so the resulting images wouldn't look too crappy (some even say snes games scaled via this method look better than the originals). bilinear/bicubic etc are okay for natural images, but crap for pixel art.

samples:
Image2x scaled
Image3x scaled - this one actually looks quite good ^_^
Image4x scaled

on second thought: unfortunately that'd limit the valid sizes to 800x600, 1600x1200, 2400x1800 etc, which could be a little too high for some people... unless we cut something off at the borders, giving them a disadvantage...
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

that method really looks good. does gimp support this algorithm?
ktm
Novice
Novice

Post by ktm »

dunno - doubt it though, since the size multiplier's fixed, so it wouldnt work too well as a plugin. but you can use the standalone versions instead.