tux9th

A forum for the community to suggest new Game Masters. PLEASE READ THE RULES.
Forum rules
1. Each member of the community can make a topic (poll) suggesting another person for a GM. You can't make a poll for yourself.
2. One topic per person, any duplicates will be removed and votes will be lost.
3. Each poll has to be done according to the schema (yes has to be first option and no the second):
"Do you agree for person X to become a GM?"
"Yes."
"No."
You are supposed to allow only one option per user and allow revoting.
You are supposed to pick "run for 0 days".
4. A person suggested has to collect at least 45 votes (or more) for yes, with minimum 75% for yes and maximum 25% for no (3:1 ratio).
5. A person suggested may request closing of the topic.
6. Only posts containing valid pros and cons are allowed in the threads, discussions however are not allowed. For discussions about particular case use Player Talk forums.
7. If a person collects the required votes, assuming there are free positions and no objections are raised, they'll be granted "Junior GM" rights for a certain period.
8. After training and approval from the senior GMs, the team will formally grant full GM rights and team membership.
9. If many persons will gain required voices, voice count will matter.
10. The amount of GMs to pick in certain time line will be determined by the TMW Team (Admins, GMs and developers).
11. Persons rejected due lack of free positions will be put on hold till any position becomes available (according to vote count).
12. If more than a year passes, a new poll must be open to ensure the community is still fine with the nomination.
13. Usual GM choosing criteria and guidelines still apply, persons not meeting those criteria will be rejected and will have their thread closed.
14. Sockpuppeting will be detected and all accounts, including the master's one will be banned forever without warning. There is one vote per person, and a person means a human being not a forum account.
15. If this forum will turn into a flame war cave, people posting here will act unreasonably and will break the rules on massive scale, forum will be closed down. So use it wisely.
16. If you don't know a person suggested, it is better to find out who is s/he and what they do before voting, do not vote "no" just because you don't know someone.
17. State EXACT player name that clearly identify a person (in game or on forums - precise which one it is).
18. After a candidate receives required amount of votes, the poll is closed, a candidate reviewed by the TMW Committee and asked (or not - in case of valid objections) to become a GM.
19. You need to have at least 10 posts to participate in the polls.

Do you agree for tux9th to become a GM?

Yes.
79%
No.
21%

Total votes: 47
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

tux9th

Post by Jenalya »

I'd like to nominate tux9th as a game master.

He's an active player, and when he's not online he can be contacted easily via irc or forums.
He speaks a decent English, also German and a little Spanish and covers the European timezone, which had been a problem to cover for a while now.
He was and is active in several ways to support tmw:
- he was active as a developer and therefore has some knowledge where to look when players need support with eventual bugs and similiar problems
- he organized several events in game
- he has shown to be able to handle responsibility as one of the administrators of the testserver, hosting the client-data updates for the testserver and he also has access to developer gm commands on the mainserver, which he used only in reasonable occasions

I've seen him helping people with support questions and also de-escalate conflict situations. He's friendly, likes to help and is fair.
Kurtz
Peon
Peon

Re: tux9th

Post by Kurtz »

I voted no because he is always online, tmw needs a bit of anarchy.
Ablu
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Ablu »

Voted yes. Agreeing with Jenalya in all points.

Regards,
Ablu
Nami
Novice
Novice

Post by Nami »

I voted yes.
I agree with everything Jenalya said because it most certainly is true! He is a fair and just person and fits perfectly to the job. He contributes very nicely and is active a lot (especially in European time). I don't need to say much else because A) Jenalya has said all my thoughts :evil: and B) he's perfecto!

Good luck tux, you'd sure bring some zing to the gm team, besides I need an ally in the war against the dark forces of Grey :)

/\/
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Frost »

I have seen tux9th enter as a skilled and interested player, and prove himself to be a responsible, respectful, dedicated, and mature player and developer.

I've seen him demonstrate real leadership ability, without needing some official title to lean on. These leadership qualities will let him keep the respect of players and other GMs even as he steps into a more formal leadership role.

His excellent sense of humor not only softens some difficult situations, but can be just a lot of fun. I expect some strange and amusing GM events in our future.

My interactions with tux9th lead me to trust him both as an admin on the testing server (i.e. on my home network) and as someone whom I consult about policy decisions. He has my complete confidence as a ManaWorld GM.

As Jenalya noted, he has both European hours and a European perspective on the world. This would help balance the leadership of TMW.
You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

I voted no, Tux9th has good intentions, but he is far from patient (patience is something a GM must have with players) with people. I found he can also be rude to quite a few players (who i will not mention if they like they can mention themselves) and cannot handle trolls (handling trolls is a big essential for a GM to have) considering he "raged quit" due to Meway trying to rejoin the Dev roster. He told me that his rudeness was probably a language barrier but at the end of the day the games first language is english and we don't need people "thinking" all the time he is being rude when he says he's not (though i don't think all the time it is the language barrier).

At this time i cannot support tuxs poll due to the lack of essentials Gms must possess. But good luck anyway!

regards,
Yubaba
TMWC Member of The Mana World
Leader of The Mana Empire (TME)
[19:41] Ladysugar: he told me to push a setzer up his rear
www.deviantart.com/comfycheeks - Old Deviant Art
William James wrote:Act as If what you do make's a difference, because It does.
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

Chicka-Maria wrote:I voted no, Tux9th has good intentions, but he is far from patient (patience is something a GM must have with players) with people. I found he can also be rude to quite a few players (who i will not mention if they like they can mention themselves) and cannot handle trolls (handling trolls is a big essential for a GM to have) considering he "raged quit" due to Meway trying to rejoin the Dev roster. He told me that his rudeness was probably a language barrier but at the end of the day the games first language is english and we don't need people "thinking" all the time he is being rude when he says he's not (though i don't think all the time it is the language barrier).

At this time i cannot support tuxs poll due to the lack of essentials Gms must possess. But good luck anyway!

regards,
Save reasons here.
As a GM, he'll need to handle troll and noob players. And I wonder how he will be able to do that if he can't manage other developers of his team. :?

But I don't vote for now, I want to see where it's going. ^^
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
Kazenawa
Novice
Novice

Post by Kazenawa »

Hi to everyone,

I personnally voted yes.

My reasons have partially already been enounced by Jenalya, so i won't rewrite all of them uselessly.

But i would add that, first of all, i think he has some ideas and ways to apply them that might change a lot, such as his "Hermit Tux" char. To my mind, that's a good way to listen to what people have to say, especially about game development as he had written it. I know such intentions might not be a priority for a GM, but what i like in it is the innovation it hides behind. Moreover, it shows that he's receptive, and, contrary to what have been said, that he seems to be patient.

I've asked him some questions about his nomination, and his answers were positives from a player's point of view. He's determined to help players, to be impartial, but also to keep having fun with them.

I'm french, rather young (19), and i obviously don't speak english perfectly, but i've never had any problems to talk with him and to understand him. As i can read from his english, it sounds very clear to me, even if i can't really judge it as it's not my native language.
However, maybe sometimes he might speak bad from english native speakers... Though, i'm sure they're able to fully understand him, and everyone knows that people from every country plays this game. All of them certainly don't speak english perfectly and won't be embarassed by his unperfect english.
Furthermore, as he's able to speak german and spanish decently, it can help some people who don't know a word of english to enjoy the game more easily.

Besides, i've also been able to understand his great sense of humor. I really prefer it than somebody sour or always sore...

So, i voted yes for tux9th, proncipally for his dynamism, his innovation, humor, and comprehension and good ability to communicate.
Maybe he's not really able to handle trolls and noobs, but i'm sure he'll be able to do it better and better with more responsabilities.
I think his nomination would be a great coolness for The Mana World.

Cordially,

Kazenawa
Johanne Laliberté
Novice
Novice

Post by Johanne Laliberté »

Hi,

I voted yes, so I won't repeat all reasons because all it was said by Jenalya, Nami97 and Kazenawa....

But I want to tell just few words:

He is a person who has good intentions, helping and listening to all the players. A developer who wants to receive suggestions from players, "pretty Idea with the Hermit Tux" for the development TMW.

So for that, Tux, I wish you good luck. :)
Dream today, to see what we will do tomorrow.
Rêver aujourd'hui pour savoir ce que l'on fera demain.
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

Chicka-Maria wrote:I voted no, Tux9th has good intentions, but he is far from patient (patience is something a GM must have with players) with people. I found he can also be rude to quite a few players (who i will not mention if they like they can mention themselves) and cannot handle trolls (handling trolls is a big essential for a GM to have) considering he "raged quit" due to Meway trying to rejoin the Dev roster. He told me that his rudeness was probably a language barrier but at the end of the day the games first language is english and we don't need people "thinking" all the time he is being rude when he says he's not (though i don't think all the time it is the language barrier).

regards,
This is true, and also I voted no and also because stated by platyna time and time again developers cannot be gm. You can't say oh I'm not a developer anymore. What you going to give all your credit rights to the tmw development team? You can't just quit becomming a dev and want to be a gm that doesn't work. This is just a peice of tmw history that need not be mentioned but sombody wanted me to be gm and it was denied simply because I had been a developer before. http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 7&start=30
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

meway wrote:

regards,
This is true, and also I voted no and also because stated by platyna time and time again developers cannot be gm. You can't say oh I'm not a developer anymore. What you going to give all your credit rights to the tmw development team? You can't just quit becomming a dev and want to be a gm that doesn't work. This is just a peice of tmw history that need not be mentioned but sombody wanted me to be gm and it was denied simply because I had been a developer before. http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 7&start=30
Though i can see your reasonings, i think people have a right to quit being a developer and want to help the game in a different way. You were voted no for more than that reason but i will not get into that.
The other reasons are valid, your suppose to state why you think tux can or cannot be capable of being a GM (see my "no" vote comment above for example and the reasons why..) in this forum not what his player status is.

regards,
Yubaba
TMWC Member of The Mana World
Leader of The Mana Empire (TME)
[19:41] Ladysugar: he told me to push a setzer up his rear
www.deviantart.com/comfycheeks - Old Deviant Art
William James wrote:Act as If what you do make's a difference, because It does.
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

I wasn't a dev at the time and platyna said if I get sufficiant votes I can't be a gm anyways. Because I was a developer. But These are just my oppinions and I will not change my vote.
tux9th
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by tux9th »

Thank you all for your lovely words about me :) I'm really touched by all of this kindness. Also I want to thank you for giving me the opportunity to this voting.
I think it's a great honor to be nominated as a game master. It's amazing that I could get so many people to vote for me so far.
I really do like to help people and make the game the most enjoyable. As we currently lack Gms and therefore some conflicts don't get resolved I would really like to take the chance you give me into my hands and help as a GM.
As Kurzt mentioned above I am online a lot. I wouldn't think about it as a bad quality for a GM :). But thanks Kurzt for that input! I am also well know throughout the Playerbase because I hosted some events and have been a Dev for some time. It quit because I felt I didn't belong there anymore. I am more into supporting people. I take this as a new challenge which I believe fits my profile better.
Thanks for your words Chicka, if I am lucky enough to get voted and chosen by the GHP I will take your words by heart.

Well I also want all of you to get to know me a little bit better. I'm 21 years old and I'm from Europe. My chars are tux9th, tux9 and Killerkasperl.

If you have any further questions don't hesitate to ask me in game, on IRC or send me a PM here on the forums.

Thank you meway for your input. I see your point and therefore want to point you to
this post.
<Frost> Platyna, would you please define what a Dev is in your rule?
<Platyna> Frost: Someone that has developer or contributor status.
I don't meet the criteria of this statement made by Platyna so I don't see a conflict.

best regards
tux
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

Perhaps my vote is more personal. You have the same status I did when my poll was made and I was declined before it was even finished because they looked at me as a dev. Well I can look at it anyway I want. I was a dev I worked to be a dev and now I am a dev. I can't just say ooh I don't want to be a dev anymore It just doesn't work like that. I don't personally agree with platynas reasoning and I've seen you work with people in the game. You try to help the community and you do it in the most efficent way you can. I'm changing my vote it can't hurt to see where this goes no need for me to hold back the project because of personal vendetta.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

I support Tux9th's nomination for the following reasons:
  • He speaks English far well enough to be a GM, (note that some people may have difficulties to understand other people even if they speak their own language, this is not Tux9th's case : he knows how to say I do'nt understand, or I am wrong). Speaking other languages is an improvement for actual GM team.
  • Tux9th is quite Fair : to my knowledge he is able to listen to others and make abstraction of his feelings when needed. As other GMs
  • Tux9th is Patient when situation requires it, as much as other GMs.
  • Tux9th has nice ideas (except the unwalkable beds)
I will also say to be totally frank, that I regret that Tux9th didn't stay a developer because he was very productive and preferred work to big shouts and long talks. I would have also preferred for him an Event Coordinator status where he wouldn't have had to bear with the rule enforcing burden.
Note: I am happy that an european player is proposed, it was a need though not enough to get my support.

@meway: the thread you quoted ends like this:
Platyna wrote: You joined the game yesterday and you broke several rules - you spammed and abused other players including GMs.
In short; there is higher chance that a giant asteroid will hit Earth this year than you becoming a GM.
I see that the community has the same opinion as mine.
Closing the thread as requested.
I do'nt understand in that that you could not be a GM because you were a dev.
@Chicka
Chicka-Maria wrote:I found he can also be rude to quite a few players (who i will not mention if they like they can mention themselves) and cannot handle trolls (handling trolls is a big essential for a GM to have) considering he "raged quit" due to Meway trying to rejoin the Dev roster
I didn't see any kind of "rage" when Tux announced he leaved the dev team on forum. He was not in charge of this team, thus I can't see anything wrong in that : many other developers left or did not join this team because they felt it was not friendly enough. More : a development channel should not be a place where to troll.
Last edited by Nard on 04 Dec 2012, 15:36, edited 1 time in total.
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.