Problems on Ubuntu 5.10 (libssl.so.0.9.8)

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
Mr_J_
Peon
Peon

Problems on Ubuntu 5.10 (libssl.so.0.9.8)

Post by Mr_J_ »

Code: Select all

tmw: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.0.9.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
As far as I understand this. I don't have that specific library.

I just did an apt-get tmw. Was that not recomended?
Should I try to run to install this from source?
Ubuntu is based on Debian.

I'm a newbie so I might miss some of your obivous bits.
I seem to have another problem in opening the wiki, in which I was hoping to find some sort of install manual.
Pajarico
Knight
Knight

Post by Pajarico »

The soultion to this was in some other thread which i cannot find now.
Curl has ssl as a dependency only if you compile support for it. So i guess you have to compile curl without ssl support or instal ssl.

:wink:
Lv.: Maggot
Please, read the FAQ before posting.
Mr_J_
Peon
Peon

Post by Mr_J_ »

decided to take criptos advice and compile from source.
PranaBR
Peon
Peon

Post by PranaBR »

i got the same error with kurumin

root@kurumin:/home/knoppix# tmw
tmw: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.0.9.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

I think the current Debian packages for TMW only work for Debian Sid (unstable). This is a very limited audience and while I know the plan is to have multiple Debian repositories I think we should add a notice to the download page to only use the Debian repositories with Debian Sid for now. The rest will have to compile from source until a better solution comes around.

Maybe we could investigate whether TMW compiled for an older ssl (as in Debian Sarge and Etch or Ubuntu Hoary and Breezy) will still run fine in Debian Sid. Maybe libssl still has a backup library for older applications?
Mr_J_
Peon
Peon

Post by Mr_J_ »

Actually this is failing because Ubuntu Breezy uses a more recent version of this lib. Thats what I think.
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Mr_J_ wrote:Actually this is failing because Ubuntu Breezy uses a more recent version of this lib. Thats what I think.
If you would extend your thinking to seeking out facts, you'd find out 0.9.8 is the latest version and that Ubuntu Breezy comes with 0.9.7. Notice the error is about not finding 0.9.8.