New issue, client crashing at a map change

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
BackAssward
Peon
Peon

New issue, client crashing at a map change

Post by BackAssward »

I am not sure if this is windows specific, but no one would help me test.

I found one map change that caused my client to crash. I have the latest release (though since you don't include the build version into the exe's details, I can't give you the exact build number).

When I walk through this map change:

My client crashes with the following error:

P.s. It might be helpful to include the build version into the exe's details. Then someone could give you an exact build number. I don't memorize the build of my programs. It's a pretty common practice to include it, not have it listed as 1.0.0.0

Edit: poool helped me test. He is using linux, a build of unbutu called mint. no crash for him.

I continue to crash (at least 7 tests so far).

If I chose the ignore option, I go though, can chat and play for a bit... but if I leave the area, I crash with no pop-up and no options. just a straight crash.

Edit2: A windows player helped me check: salvo using vista x86 didn't crash.

So not sure where the issue is.
Last edited by BackAssward on 21 Apr 2010, 17:12, edited 1 time in total.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Re: New issue, client crashing at a map change

Post by Jaxad0127 »

First off, mana hasn't been officially released yet. If that's the mana nightly, then we'll be glad to help you here. If that's 4144's client, then you can contact him for help first.

If it is the nightly, try with older ones until you find one that does crash. That'll help us figure out which change caused it.
BackAssward
Peon
Peon

Post by BackAssward »

Friend. I am not here to criticize or make issues.

I found something that made me crash, I am trying to help find out if it is a general problem. I am making a lot of effort to track down the differences of what causes a crash and what doesn't.

I would hope you would appreciate the effort. My client is the build from a while ago that was released, I did not make a build myself.

If you do not care for my effort to help, I will kindly stop caring. But I did employ my friends, at personal cost of friendship and personal time to determine who exactly does or does not have this issue.

The screen grab of the code error, and the fact it was a build I downloaded, meant to me that it might be an error others might have. If no one else has it, great... but better to be proactive. I am more than willing to be the only one with the issue, but I am not willing to assume I am the only one.

B.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

I'm trying to help you. I gave you some instructions for further investigation that will help us determine when it started. Since this is an older build, please try a newer one, as the issue may have already been solved.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

The red square at the warp looks like 4144 client. Please try to reproduce the bug with the official client.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
BackAssward
Peon
Peon

Post by BackAssward »

Well, if the 4144 client isn't the official build, it should not be on the official distribution location.

Saying it isn't the official client is like saying "yeah we put it there, everyone uses it, but screw them if they do".

No where does it say beta or alpha. Saying it isn't official is like saying "we will continue to program, make enhancements, and release a client on our distribution place... but you shouldn't use it or complain if it messes up".

To say otherwise is disingenuous.

If it isn't official, you have to brand it as unofficial... beta. (you can say "patch" all you like, but it is both: a full installer, and not anywhere branded as a beta or dev release).

In fact, since you use the term "patch", that makes it official, a patch released by the group.

Edit: btw, you do show news about 4144 in the login screen, and link to it's download location. You can hardly call it the unofficial client.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

There seems to be some misunderstanding here.

1. The 4144 client is neither on the TMW download page nor on the Manasource download page:
http://themanaworld.org/downloads.php
http://manasource.org/downloads
Only the clients found on these pages can be supported by us.

2. I can not find any mentioning of the 4144 client in the server news of the official server (server.themanaworld.org). I can't find anything about the nightly builds of the Manasource client either there. Are you maybe playing on a 3rd party server?

The 4144 patch is an unofficial modification made by 4144. The TMW or Manasource team can not fix any bugs in it. Only 4144 himself can. Here you can find more information about unofficial clients: http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... =3&t=10219
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Knight
Knight

Post by 4144 »

Look to this bug.
http://bugs.manasource.org/view.php?id=111

PS: almost all bugs in my builds from main line client, and ignoring this bugs is not good.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

4144 wrote:Look to this bug.
http://bugs.manasource.org/view.php?id=111

PS: almost all bugs in my builds from main line client, and ignoring this bugs is not good.
I'm with turmfalke: unable to reproduce. It's very hard to fix something you don't get yourself.

If you can reproduce, you could work on it.