TMW Eathena doesn't work... Has never worked... Linux Ubuntu

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
Imago3d
Peon
Peon

TMW Eathena doesn't work... Has never worked... Linux Ubuntu

Post by Imago3d »

Never has... I decided to make a new thread to try to get some definitive answers. I've been plugging away at this for some time, and have yet to make TMW eathena server work on Linux. (ubuntu 9.10 Karmic)

Here are the steps I take...
git clone git://gitorious.org/tmw-eathena/mainline.git eathena
cd eathena
make

(Output)
http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=QfcLb5TD

make tools
(Output)
http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=5xGsgexs

cd ..
git clone git://gitorious.org/tmw-eathena-data/mainline.git eathena-data
cd eathena-data
cp -iv ../eathena/*-server .
cp -iv ../eathena/eathena-monitor .
cd $HOME
ln -s home/user/eathena-data/ tmwserver

Usually everything builds alright... But just today it decided it won't build the map-server anymore. I don't have a 64 bit system for Linux. I tried a few different things but haven't been successful.

However if I compile a regular eathena build it will start up, run, etc. But when I try to connect to it using TMW client it disconnects in the character creation screen. I'm sure this has to do with the RO hooks and such. I would love to get this going but as of now I can't get this going... I'm not so much of a programmer in Linux. But I like running server stuff on Linux just because it's "usually" less of a hassle than windows. (And uses less RAM.)

If someone could offer some insight I would be forever grateful...
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Re: TMW Eathena doesn't work... Has never worked... Linux Ub

Post by Jaxad0127 »

If you would read the make output, you'd see what the errors are. You're missing flex.
Imago3d
Peon
Peon

Post by Imago3d »

Thanks, and I missed that. I've reinstalled this OS about 10 times trying to see if I missed something so I tried doing a build dependencies using tmw client. I thought that might grab anything I might have missed. But I missed flex. :(

Anyhow, now everything compiled without errors, but now it's doing this

./eathena.sh start
Starting eathena monitor...
./eathena.sh: fork: retry: Resource temporarily unavailable
./eathena.sh: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable

I've seen this problem mentioned before but no real definite on how to fix it... Any insight would be appreciated.
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

eathena-monitor needs to be altered to point to your tmwserver directory. The default is incorrect. The last time I did the clone, that was the case.

Edit Add: Also, I run my eathena.sh through root..even though that isn't the best thing to do, from what I've heard.
Current character is "Abolish".
Imago3d
Peon
Peon

Post by Imago3d »

What source code files do you alter to put in your directory? Because when I looked in to eathena-monitor it's elf code so I'm looking for which to change before I compile.
Imago3d
Peon
Peon

Post by Imago3d »

Okay, I have it working... Kinda. Logging in. I have to open 3 command windows. Which means I have to open 3 SSH windows and run each from it.

If I try to run the .sh file it says fork unavailable. Strange...

But now I've encountered a new problem... When I try to log in... TMW itself errors out saying items.xml not found and crashes. It doesn't crash the server... It crashes the program...

So close... But still so far away. Although, I'm documenting everything because maybe my problems can help someone else eventually and save them aggravation.
Imago3d
Peon
Peon

Post by Imago3d »

Well, it now loads after I grabbed up all the updates... But now it's looking for npc.xml... Still no way to load all of the server instances in one shot (char-server, map-server, login-server... Not in that order...) But it'll probably take rewriting since Ubuntu seems to be a fairly difficult Linux instance for most people to work with. :( Which is sad, because it's really good. :)
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Try GNU screen. There are occasionally fork issues with the monitor. Please ask your distro for help as that is a system issue. Run the servers in this order: login, char, map. I don't know why the monitor does it differently.

Debian (what Ubuntu is based on) works well for tAthena.