Connection Problems

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Connection Problems

Post by Wombat »

I attempted to gather some information that might help with the recent connection problems. It sounded like some were already on top of it, but figured I'd report this:

I'm experiencing no problems with connecting, I have ubuntu 10.04, amd64 and 0.0.29.1 client.

pwet: fedora 13, x86-64, 0.0.29.1 is not able to connect.

horst: i use ubuntu 9.10, 1386 i think, and client is official 0.0.29.1 is not able to connect.

Marcelus: x86, Windows 7, Default client is not able to connect.
Current character is "Abolish".
Byakushin
Newly Registered User

Re: Connection Problems

Post by Byakushin »

I'm also on Ubuntu with both official and patched (manaplus) client, newest versions to date. Can't connect to TMW with either.

It seems connection problems aren't tied to routing (traceroute goes through fine, web and IRC services work), location (we're all over Europe), operating system or client (Windows XP and Linux at least are among those who can't connect, while at least one Linux user with the same client version can connect), or to client-end firewalls or similar issues (those who have tried can connect to other servers, at least UFB - at the moment I can't connect to thealternateworld either, but traceroute won't go through there and their online web list won't come up; it's not just us disconnected folks).

I was also asking around earlier when the last time was that people having this problem had been logged in, and the latest we came up with was yesterday before noon (Chryseis @IRC). But basically, at that time things can be assumed to have still been working as they should.

Freeyorp's tried a server restart (at least once, but it sounded like a second one took place too according to my IRC backlog), didn't solve the problem.

Good luck hunting this down; luckily there's alternate servers we can satisfy our grinding needs on in the meanwhile. Spread the addiction, spread the fun! :)
Byakushin
Newly Registered User

Post by Byakushin »

As an interesting side note, I've been trying to add the website for the BR server for a few times now, and MediaWiki keeps telling me it can't open a socket once I clear the captcha for adding an external link. (The non-captcha-requiring edits earlier and afterwards all went through fine.)

OoooOOOoooh MySQL problems, anyone? :)

(Either that or someone is CLEARLY pre-censoring any attempts at adding the Brazilian server website!)
Byakushin
Newly Registered User

Post by Byakushin »

Platyna says MySQL is alive.

Arphetic (and pwet if I understood correctly) was online about 10 hours ago and cannot connect now, and the complaints of not being able to connect started 9 hours ago.
Byakushin
Newly Registered User

Post by Byakushin »

Also, the firewall isn't doing it, it's been cleaned up. :/
Acegi
Novice
Novice

Post by Acegi »

I think it was pwet who pointed this out first but port 6901 is dead to those of us who can't connect which seems very suspiciously specific...
"Every problem is an opportunity in disguise..." Inara, Firefly
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

This problem should now be resolved.
Current character is "Abolish".
Byakushin
Newly Registered User

Post by Byakushin »

The connectivity problems went away last night; I'm not sure if anything actively done actually helped or if the moon just shifted to a new phase. But yay anyway! :)