TMWServ /eAthena Linux System Requirements & Installation

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
chaslinux
Novice
Novice

TMWServ /eAthena Linux System Requirements & Installation

Post by chaslinux »

Good day all! I'm wondering what the system requirements are to run TMWServ or eAthena on Linux and which distribution seems to work best with the server?

I also noticed that there are almost no instructions on setting up a server on the wiki or the forums other than git/svn, or that it's more difficult to find. I found a few threads, but it might be cool to have something on the wiki.

Specifically I'm thinking about RAM requirements per user.

Cheers and thanks,

Tarq
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Re: TMWServ /eAthena Linux System Requirements & Installatio

Post by meway »

I suggest no lower than 256mb-512mb and even higher would be great. I suggest using Ubuntu ( I personally use versions 9.10) if you are going to be using linux. Here are some simple steps to take when your on linux.
Step 1) at the top of your screen click applications.
step 2) accessories
step 3) Terminal
Note: ) if you haven't already. Type sudo apt-get update install
Note: ) You will be using the sudo command a lot. If your terminal ever says you do not have permissions just retry the command with sudo in-front of it. This will execute the command but with root permissions.
step 4) Go to the wiki tutorial found here and read it thoroughly if you don't understand something use google search to look up keywords that you don't understand. http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/ ... a_on_Linux
Note: ) the commands the wiki gives you, are to be inserted into the Terminal !!IMPORTANT!! The wiki says ignore warnings ok fine. But make sure you do not ignore errors during the steps make sure you are monitoring the output of your tirminal or you might miss something simple like sudo apt-get install git-core.
Step 5) If you have finished the tutorial your done but here are some optional steps encase something went wrong.

Optional steps
1.) http://meway.dyndns.org/FAQ/FAQ.html
2.) click on the folder image with a following description of any problems you are having.
3.) post here if you have any other questions or issues so that I might update that page.

For additional support get on irc.
server:
Irc.themanaworld.org
Channel:
tmw-support
Last edited by meway on 02 Nov 2010, 15:07, edited 1 time in total.
chaslinux
Novice
Novice

Post by chaslinux »

meway wrote:I suggest no lower than 256mb-512mb and even higher would be great. I suggest using Ubuntu ( I personally use versions 9.10) if you are going to be using linux.
Thanks meway! Sadly the box I'm running doesn't seem to like Ubuntu. I tried several versions and ended up with segfaults when Ubuntu started to load. I checked the disks and RAM for errors and both are flawless. To be sure I even low level formatted the drives (UW-SCSI drives) and reinstalled with the same results (it installs fine, just doesn't operate well after). Rather than go through the logs I just installed Debian GNU/Linux.

Curiously Debian GNU/Linux 5.x installed just fine and boots just fine. Debian isn't as progressive as Ubuntu, I'll keep everyone posted how I make out with Debian. (That sounds bad doesn't it)...

Cheers,

Tarq
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I don't know much about eA, but the memory consumption of Manaserv depends mostly on the number and size of the active maps.

What scales pretty linear with the number of players is the network load (when you have players on the same screen the network load scales quadratic with their number).
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
chaslinux
Novice
Novice

Post by chaslinux »

meway wrote: step 4) Go to the wiki tutorial found here and read it thoroughly if you don't understand something use google search to look up keywords that you don't understand. http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/ ... a_on_Linux
1.) http://meway.dyndns.org/FAQ/FAQ.html
Just a note for others who might be trying to compile on Debian GNU/Linux you need: bison, flex, and zlib1g-dev. If you're having a problem generating mapserver on Debian make sure you have the 3 programs above.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Compiling tmwAthena on an x64 system is hit and miss.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I asked the server admin of http://www.invertika.org for his experiences with the CPU load of Manaserv.

They are running a server on Ubuntu Linux (64 bit) on an AMD Sempron 2600+ with 1GB ram. They have a pretty large number of maps.

They have a CPU load of about 38% and a RAM usage of about 300 MB when no players are online.

With three clients online the CPU usage increases by 1% while the RAM usage increases by less than 1 MB. Unfortunately there isn't any reliable information yet regarding how Manaserv scales with a realistic player population at the moment, so we can only make educated guesses here.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi,

A little point of situation about that from my own humble point of view:
Most of the RAM seems to be used because of the map pathfinding implementation, related in there:
http://bugs.manasource.org/view.php?id=106

The current one is rather heavy and leaky on the long term.
As I don't want to drop quick and dirty fixes for that, I'll release something when the path finding
support successfully different blocking types while removing the leak in the open/closePathList.

Best regards.