Manaclient particle bug

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

Manaclient particle bug

Post by nmaligec »

As of nightly 20110427 to the 30th, most particle effects in tmwAthena are about 16 px higher. This includes particles spawned by: misceffect script command, missile-particle attribute in items.xml, <particlefx></particlefx> from monters.xml (assume same for npcs.xml).

The exceptions are: particles spawned directly in map files, and the warp/exit/entrance indicator particles.

The above mentioned sources are the ones I directly tested for. I do not know about magic effects. There might be other particles sources that I haven't thought of.

npc/pc/mob sprites are unaffected, so it must be something directly related to particles.

edit:
Its really hard to tell, but I think attack particles and the dmg/miss numbers are also effected by the upward shift.
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Re: Manaclient particle bug

Post by Bertram »

Hi nmaligec,

So, you mean that particle effects can't be higher than 16 pixels when they are not specified in the map file?

You said most of them? Are there any counter examples?

Best regards.
nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

Post by nmaligec »

So, you mean that particle effects can't be higher than 16 pixels when they are not specified in the map file?
No, the problem is something like y-=16 for all affected particles. For example: a particle defined with x=__ and y =32 will look like it was set to y=16 in the client.

This is a serious glitch affecting ALL particles as of nightly from the 27th. Open a 0.5.2 client and a v 0.1.0.20010430 client, then connect to server:themanaworld.org. You will see that most particles will be about 16 pixels higher up than in the 0.5.2. This is very hard to get a good pair of screen shots to show the comparison for so its best if you try it out yourself. The easiest way to see this will be with combat, preferable with an archer, since the missile-particle is affected aswell and can be easily compared when shooting to the left in both clients.
You said most of them? Are there any counter examples?
Unaffected by glitch:
particles spawned directly in map files, and the warp/exit/entrance indicator particles.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

It might be due to the change in being movement handling. Should be easy to fix after confirming that.
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi,
It might be due to the change in being movement handling. Should be easy to fix after confirming that.
Yes, this is due to the change in being movement handling, and remained unnoticed since I didn't include particles in my tests.

Actually, to be frank, the y -16 done on being compared to the old implementation seemed to be more a "fix" than an introduced bug.
I will add a graphical cross ('+') indicating the exact x,y position of beings in the debug view. I'll then be able to decide better whether the beings position is right or not, and adapt the code accordingly.

I take this bug for now.

Thanks for pointing out nmaligec!

Best regards.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

hello nmaligec

Thanks for reporting this bug. But the themanaworld.org forum is not really the suitable place to report Manasource bugs. Please use our bug tracker http://bugs.manasource.org in the future.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi Crush,

I did ask him to report the bug here first.

Just to say that nmaligec is aware of the mantis existence but did not use it first on my request to permit me, (and us) to get more public feedback about it before inclusion in mantis since I wasn't sure whether it was a bug or not.

Thanks for pointing out though.

Best regards.
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi,

Noted :)

I didn't test it already but I sincerely hope the characters offsets are good in their animation files. Because otherwise, we may have to make backward incompatible changes in every concerned offset and then add a way to make the updates available only for clients with version >=0.6.

Best regards.