Can't connect to remote host

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
ebattleon
Peon
Peon

Re: Can't connect to remote host

Post by ebattleon »

It's still down and i am going stir crazy...whaaa :mrgreen:
DariusBane
Peon
Peon

Post by DariusBane »

Villain wrote:http://www.greatfirewallofchina.org/ind ... aworld.org

Now we wait to see how old the backup is.
Probably two days or more as evidenced via posts in the forum. And then you have to retrain your characters back up to current state, possibly lose items or gold.

amarant24: "I doubt they got hacked. Maybe they're simply updating... they do this every once in a while."

The servers are vulnerable to Denial of Service attacks, same as other servers such as Google, Yahoo, Mater Card and so on. They are probably open to other forms of assault, too. I do not accurately know for lack of attempting such attacks. I am only stating there exists possibilities. There are also ways to subvert and thwart attacks, some more useful than others, some useless.

Considering the developers and system administrators seem versed in Linux, it is only logical thinking they are good at protecting servers. Linux as Unix is a network ready on the fly type of operating system, even users are instructed on basics of server security. So, you're doubt of hacking is a good doubt, but do not rule out h/cra/acking. It could be a possibility.

As to updating, a little notice beforehand might be nice. Global announcements, news on the main site, forum postings, irc announcements could all be used. I have seen them used once in a while here, too. Often though server down times come unannounced. It creates more frustration. Updating times could be scheduled also. Then again, I'm just writing humble opinion. I'm sure everyone is doing the best they are able.

Unfortunately, it does create frustration. Then further is made when users speak up, ask questions and get a third degree or insulted. So, ...
"I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure." -- Ripley
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Frost »

From the conversations on IRC, it sounds like the server computer lost power or similar without notice to the admins and no opportunity to do a proper shutdown of the TMW server processes. This happens once in a while.

The TMW game service has been offline waiting on people in different parts of the world (and different time zones) to coordinate doing the restore. The length of downtime doesn't indicate severity of data loss or anything like that.

I too would love it if admins would notify us ahead of time about unplanned outages.
It's much more exciting to talk about how this might be the result of evil intruders though. :)
You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
Jael RD
Peon
Peon

Post by Jael RD »

ebattleon wrote:It's still down and i am going stir crazy...whaaa :mrgreen:
ME TOO!!!!! Plz Mana Wolrd come back!! Any one could use #serverrestoration spell???? i am waiting since this morning dying here!!!
amarant24
Peon
Peon

Post by amarant24 »

Rehab... it's all I'm saying. Mana World has totally taken the place of my PS3 COD and any other online game... I guess I'm back to lynching for the time being got nothing better to do.
As for the PS3 Hack comment it was a joke. I assumed it was simply an outage for whatever reason... lost of power... updates... server migration? Online games on linux are unlikely to be hacked... it's possible because anything is possible, but it's unlikely at least in my opinion. Besides why would someone want to hack the server of a game that's awesome free and entertaining?
Zel Rai
Peon
Peon

Post by Zel Rai »

amarant24 wrote: As for the PS3 Hack comment it was a joke. I assumed it was simply an outage for whatever reason... lost of power... updates... server migration? Online games on linux are unlikely to be hacked... it's possible because anything is possible, but it's unlikely at least in my opinion. Besides why would someone want to hack the server of a game that's awesome free and entertaining?
Lolz,said joke opened up a window for me to vent about Sony. Something I do quite frequently of late.

Seems like from Frost's post, once the latest possible backup data is recompiled back into the main database, they'll be about ready to start it up again. I'd much rather they they try to co-ordinate like this then to just flat out go with an old backup.
joebob2011
Newly Registered User

Post by joebob2011 »

so when do we get back online?
Big Crunch
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Big Crunch »

joebob2011 wrote:so when do we get back online?
when the server comes back up...duh.
sexy red bearded GM
Jael RD
Peon
Peon

Post by Jael RD »

Big Crunch wrote:
ROLF!
joebob2011
Newly Registered User

Post by joebob2011 »

Big Crunch wrote:
but when will that happen? :lol:
Big Crunch
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Big Crunch »

joebob2011 wrote:
Big Crunch wrote:
please read the thread and you will know that we have no idea. It is being attempted to coordinate actions across time zones, so its precarious at best.
sexy red bearded GM
Villain
Novice
Novice

Post by Villain »

joebob2011 wrote:
Big Crunch wrote:
October 21st. Unfortunately, the world will be obliterated that day. Irony?
RIP Frost, Big Crunch, Mistakes, mrgrey, and MrWho
joebob2011
Newly Registered User

Post by joebob2011 »

I know. Just making sure that no one knowns, or to see if anyone did know; just in case a adimn see this thread, and would give us a time line. Before commenting on other comments.

Yeah I'm going crazy.... sorry
Jael RD
Peon
Peon

Post by Jael RD »

joebob2011 wrote:I know. Just making sure that no one knowns, or to see if anyone did know; just in case a adimn see this thread, and would give us a time line. Before commenting on other comments.

Yeah I'm going crazy.... sorry
Not only you is getting crazy, i´ve been waiting since this morning and everything is still down, one no playing day ahhhhhhhhhh!!!, and my gf is not going to be here until Friday, so I AM GETTING GRAZY!!!!!!!!
Villain
Novice
Novice

Post by Villain »

Jael RD wrote:Not only you is getting crazy, i´ve been waiting since this morning and everything is still down, one no playing day ahhhhhhhhhh!!!, and my gf is not going to be here until Friday, so I AM GETTING GRAZY!!!!!!!!
Here are a few things you could do:
  • - Blink wildly while spinning around and then close your eyes really tight for an interesting light show
    - See how long you can hold a note then repeat for different notes
    - Try to not think about penguins
    - Use your secret mind power to bring back the server
    - Pretend you're a robot
    - Scratch every part of yourself
    - Rate passers by according to weird physical deficiencies
    - Repeat the same word over and over until it loses its meaning and you've gone through all 171,476 English words
    - Punch yourself in the face
    - Try to swallow your tongue
    - Pretend to be a flamingo
    - Make Star Trek door noises with your armpit
    - Intently stare at a stranger until the stranger makes a remark
    - Get yourself as nauseated as possible
    - Invent a weird twitch
    - Make animal noises
    - Hold your breath as long as possible
RIP Frost, Big Crunch, Mistakes, mrgrey, and MrWho