monsters attack from LONG distance

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
Dr Wahl
Warrior
Warrior

monsters attack from LONG distance

Post by Dr Wahl »

when i have monsters attacking me, sometimes i run around a corner (90 degree) and keep running. the monster will be a long distance from me (not even around the corner yet) and it will attack (and hit) me as soon as it hits the corner i went around. this happens in more situations than just corners though.... in the woodlands area, if i hide behind a tree, as soon as the monster touches the tree, i get hit...
knivey
Novice
Novice

Post by knivey »

This is probably lag
All your base are belong to us.
Xephys
Novice
Novice

Post by Xephys »

This happened to me and several other people I know. Its a real problem because they attack you from several tiles away, and got me killed a few times actually...
To eat or not to eat, that is the question!
yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

knivey wrote:This is probably lag
IMO it's lag too...
Hoomda
Peon
Peon

Post by Hoomda »

I was on the other night with one other player (according to the /who command) - after attacking a flower near Taro (the girl who takes you to the Christmas area) I ran back and was still getting hit near the bat cave.

At the time of this post (00:59 GMT -7 (06:59 server time), 06/29/06) the server has 4 people on according to /who - duplicating the above I hit a flower under the bridge just west of the alchemist - again damage continues until I am just past bat cave. No mushrooms are following me.

With so few users on in both cases I don't think it can be attributed to lag.
Macroing: Gaming term used to define people trying to overcompensate for being gimp in real life.
NachbarsLumpi
Peon
Peon

Post by NachbarsLumpi »

I can surely say it is NOT a lag.

there must be a bug in the distance calculation .. if I stay behind a wall or another object, the monster gets the ability to to hit me .. specially on maps that are quite complicated (caves) and with monsters who do a lot of damage (spiders) it is definitly not funny because right with 4 hits I die .. and these hits are done from a distance which is higher than 10 and through a wall ..
void foo(void* bar)
{ printf("%", bar); }
BadMrBox
Warrior
Warrior

Post by BadMrBox »

I have noticed then when you attack an enemy right outside the city and are teleported by thoose annoying things you are kept getting hit by the same enemy that is now faaar away from you.
Tarm
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Tarm »

Are you sure you're not experiencing the "Attacking ME you greenhorn?!" feature?That is if you attack a monster way above your level they will continue to hit you a while even if you run away a long distance.

Just try a new character, level a bit and then hit a giant worm or a green slime.
"I'm selfdestructive baby
But a friendly one" - Spiritual Beggars.
NachbarsLumpi
Peon
Peon

Post by NachbarsLumpi »

me surely not .. lvl42 :roll:
void foo(void* bar)
{ printf("%", bar); }
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

i doubt that it has to do anything with the level. monsters shouldn't care about the stats of their victims.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
BadMrBox
Warrior
Warrior

Post by BadMrBox »

Are you sure you're not experiencing the "Attacking ME you greenhorn?!" feature?That is if you attack a monster way above your level they will continue to hit you a while even if you run away a long distance.
There is such a feature? That makes... not much sense. If you escape the mob's hit ratio you shouln't be hit even if the enemy is 60lvls higher than yourself IMO.
Dr Wahl
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dr Wahl »

ok... i am no pro coder, but here is what i am thinking....
in order for a monster to attack a player, there must be a if loop such as:

##################
'if $PLAYER =< 5 tile away
move closer to $PLAYER
'if $PLAYER => 5 tile away
attack player
#################

so, when the player starts running away, and goes around a corner, the tiles that are the "wall" that is between the player and the monster cause a mathmatical error. so if you are 1 pixel away from the wall, and the monster is on the other side of the wall 1 pixel away, and the wall is 10 pixels, THEN.... it counts is as 2 pixels away instead of 12.
Yes? No? Any thoughts?
As mentioned before, I am no pro coder, so please take it easy on me :)
Last edited by Dr Wahl on 02 Jul 2006, 02:00, edited 1 time in total.
BadMrBox
Warrior
Warrior

Post by BadMrBox »

I would think that it is tiles that is counted not pixels. I think all enemies range is 1 tile and a wall is at a minimum 1 tile wide.
Dr Wahl
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dr Wahl »

ok.... i changed it to tiles (it was just a quick typo/brain fart), and the distance CAN vary, but i think i would agree that most of the current monsters attack with a distance of 1... but the general idea of my theory still stands, the walls mess something up.
Tarm
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Tarm »

Crush wrote:i doubt that it has to do anything with the level. monsters shouldn't care about the stats of their victims.

badmrbox wrote:
There is such a feature? That makes... not much sense. If you escape the mob's hit ratio you shouln't be hit even if the enemy is 60lvls higher than yourself IMO.
Well this happened to me a lot.A friend figured out a tactic where you can "hit and run" monsters without getting hit yourself so therefore it's possible to kill monsters above your level that you wouldnt be able to kill in a stand up fight.
This tactic doesnt work on all monsters though.If for example you hit a giant worm and then run away you keep getting hit for a while.This have only happened to me when the moster is a much higher level than me.
I dont know if it's a bug or a "feature" that to some extent makes the semi cheat "hit and run" tactic not work on all monsters.
"I'm selfdestructive baby
But a friendly one" - Spiritual Beggars.