TMW on OSX 10.4 PPC [was:Not sure if this goes here]

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
Mikuto
Newly Registered User

TMW on OSX 10.4 PPC [was:Not sure if this goes here]

Post by Mikuto »

I'm running Mac OSX 10.4 Tiger on a PowerPC non-intel based Mac, and i'm presently using the 29.1 Mana Mac client with no issues (that I can notice) other than lacking the ability to use skills, now I understand there's not a lot of Mac support for ppc, let alone a lot of people with abilities to develop or program Mac PPC stuff (i'm completely illiterate when it comes to anything of the sort.) but I would like the game to be available to those like myself who are very limited on what games are accessable to them just because they lack the proper hardware.

Now if anyone could be nice enough to update me on any status or opinions/solutions to my base question of "Will I be able to play this game to it's fullest extent on my system?" I'd greatly appreciate it.

P.S. I did find a link with Programming Tips for OSX which does include compiling things for OSX under 10.5 including 10.4 Tiger, but since I don't understand it too much, maybe someone else would like to take a look and maybe incorporate it for further Mac updates if there are any to come in the future.

http://wiki.freepascal.org/OS_X_Program ... _and_below

Edit: I've also tried to run Trapdoor's Mac 0.5 client but it doesn't open, the terminal says something about the library version required being 7.0.0 and I have 5.0.0 or something to that effect.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Re: Not sure if this goes here but..

Post by o11c »

Yes, this is the right place to post.

I don't know how to handle Mac issues, but I note that link is for compiling from 10.5, merely targeting an earlier version.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Frost »

On my intel-based MacBook running 10.5 Leopard, I upgraded from the 0.29.1 client to Trapdoor's 0.5.0 so that I could assign points to skills (see http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/ ... ior_Skills ). Skills are an important feature of the game to set up, but not something that is actually changed much in normal play.

I realize "upgrade the OS" wasn't what you wanted to hear, but it's all I can suggest. Leopard runs fine on a PPC G4, and you'll get much better software support. Since Apple no longer sells that version, you'd have to buy the disc used or get it from a friend. If you like, I could install Leopard on my old iBook and test the 0.5.0 client to make sure it works before you go to that effort.
You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
Mikuto
Newly Registered User

Post by Mikuto »

Would it at all be possible for someone to use the link that I provided to be able to compile a newer client, (despite that yes it's compiling for an older version) but it'd be better than nothing right...? I'm really not trying to sound selfish, cause I know odds are, people probably have much better OS than myself, and they're probably doing fine with what's already provided; and save to say i've wrecked my brain for a day or so trying to figure out how to compile anything and I just can't figure out how to do it, i've googled so many tuts and everything. But alas, funds be low so, i'll just go with my original idea of waiting it out and seeing what happens. I do appreciate the responses and everything though so thanks a bunch for that. And sorry to have troubled you.
trapdoor
Novice
Novice

Post by trapdoor »

I believe you would need to use an older version of Xcode, and likely not 64bit OSX to get 10.4 and PPC support to work. Unfortunately I both use the new Xcode and a 64bit OSX, and can't get dependencies to compile for 10.4 and/or PPC, which causes issues building the client.
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Frost »

I'm trying to compile the client on OSX 10.5, but am not very wise in the Ways of MacOS.

Thus far I've installed all the prerequisite software via macports, including GCC 4.6 because Apple's GCC 4.0.1 appears to be too old (I got errors using the GCC from XCode on 10.6 too). I'm trying to work through various errors, but so far it's pretty slow progress.

Do you have any tips for how to build the application? Do you use XCode or cmake (or both)?

I have both Intel and PPC (G4) Macs, and run 10.5 and 10.6 and could install 10.4 if needed. I'm happy to build whatever clients I can.
You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
trapdoor
Novice
Novice

Post by trapdoor »

I thought gcc 4.0 had to be used for PPC and 4.2 for 10.4 Intel.

I am currently using GCC 4.2 for backwards compatibility with 10.5 x86. Otherwise I would happily use LLVM/clang and 64-bit for everything since its so much better.

The biggest problem I have is with dependencies not building for ppc, and with _fopen$UNIX2003 errors which comes from mixing SDKs (ie all dependencies and the client have to be built for the same SDK).
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Note that the latest mana client in git currently requires at least GCC 4.3, and consensus says that requiring 4.4 would be reasonable.

Since GCC 3.4 or so, GCC has been good with forward-compatibility for C++ (2.95 or so for C). Invalid code may require flags such as -fpermissive or system-specific header changes; this type of code should be changed for the next release.

A far more likely reason is simply that you haven't built your compiler to target the relevant architecture.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: TMW on OSX 10.4 PPC [was:Not sure if this goes here]

Post by Crush »

I gave the topic a more descriptive title. Please always try to use a subject you would click on immediately when you would come to the forum with the same problem.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.