keyboard direction controls stuck on up and left

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
drive55
Newly Registered User

keyboard direction controls stuck on up and left

Post by drive55 »

I just started playing yesterday. I made it to Tulimshar, and once there, my character is determined to run toward the northwest. The keyboard arrows don't respond at all. I can use the mouse to move but it's erratic, and as soon as I let go of the mouse button the guy heads northwest again. What is going on here, and how do I fix it? The problem persists through logging out and even rebooting.
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: keyboard direction controls stuck on up and left

Post by Alige »

What is your computer's OS and what version of which client are you using?
drive55
Newly Registered User

Post by drive55 »

Xubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx). Client version is 0.0.29.1-3 (the one in the Lucid Lynx repository).
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Moved to Linux support, then.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
drive55
Newly Registered User

Post by drive55 »

So, I went to ~/.tmw/ and moved config.xml to config.xml.bak and I started up the client. It generated a new, default config file, and the problem is gone. Obviously the problem was in the config file. The next question is, why? I didn't manually edit the file, so the client must have written something there that caused problems. I played with the resolution, sound, and fullscreen options, and changed a couple of keybindings.
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi drive55,

To me, the symptoms appear to be more like if:

1. You had a (even virtual) joystick plugged in. This can happen on linux (I have another victim of this) so try to disable it in the setup config, in that case.
2. SDL sometimes happened (in an older version of the 1.2) to lock those directions. I, myself, had to push up and left key together and release it to properly reset the key states.
People usually try to push down and right to try and counter the effect, eh.

I hope it helped.

Best regards,

Bertram
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

You are currently using one of the most outdated client version this game has. Why don't you visit the download page and get a better version, even though I'm not entirely sure there is but we never know.
drive55
Newly Registered User

Post by drive55 »

drive55 wrote:So, I went to ~/.tmw/ and moved config.xml to config.xml.bak and I started up the client. It generated a new, default config file, and the problem is gone. Obviously the problem was in the config file. The next question is, why? I didn't manually edit the file, so the client must have written something there that caused problems. I played with the resolution, sound, and fullscreen options, and changed a couple of keybindings.
That might be the issue. I probably messed with that setting too.
drive55
Newly Registered User

Post by drive55 »

Ali-G wrote:You are currently using one of the most outdated client version this game has. Why don't you visit the download page and get a better version, even though I'm not entirely sure there is but we never know.
It figures. In Debian-speak, the word for "obsolete" is "stable". :roll:

Before I go to any further trouble with this, I have a question. Before I attack something I'd like to have a clue as to how strong it is compared to my character. After I attack something, I need to know how much health it has left so I can know if I can do it or if I should just run away. Are there features for either of these?
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

Not on the official client. If you want some help about knowing which monsters you are capable of killing, you might want to have a look at this page:
http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/ ... _reference