Help setting up server (solved I think)

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
MisterB
Peon
Peon

Help setting up server (solved I think)

Post by MisterB »

Ok I finally set up a server and can access it locally and have had a friend access it from his place, but I can not completely access it using the external address from another computer in my network. I can create accounts, login, but when I click "Play" I get a "couldn't connect to host" message. I would like to run multiple clients to test things. Of course I have other problems, but I will eventually learn how to solve them, one at a time (like screwing up the magic spells).

Oh yeah, running on Ubuntu 11.10 and I am not really great with Linux (but learning).

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help :)
Last edited by MisterB on 05 Mar 2012, 02:04, edited 1 time in total.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Re: Help setting up server

Post by o11c »

Assuming a standard home NAT, there are 3 ways you can connect:
1. From the external IP address, via port mapping. You *should* be able to do this even from inside your LAN, but there are a lot of buggy routers. A firmware update might help.
2. From within the LAN (often 192.168.0.0/16 or a smaller subnet within that), if you set up lan_support.conf
3. From localhost (127.0.0.1). This only works if you DON'T set up 2. However, if you set up 2. you can still connect via your computer's LAN address

Note that there are two copies of lan_support.conf, and you need to edit both of them (hm, maybe the unused portions of each should be removed? But editing that file in git will mess with people who've edited it locally). It has plenty of comments on what to do.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
MisterB
Peon
Peon

Re: Help setting up server (solved I think)

Post by MisterB »

Thanks for the reply. As per the suggestion and after reading many posts, I edited the lan_support.conf (although I an not sure i edited both). I am now able to connect with other computers in the network. Haven't seen my friend online so I hope I didn't mess that part up. I have much to learn and much to do. Since I messed up the spells (some work with wrong names, some work with the code (ex. W10) that will be my next task.

Thanks again o11c