Problems with new maps?

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Problems with new maps?

Post by Frost »

(In reply to http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 97#p126097)
o11c wrote:The server didn't have a problem with it. The last client build on the hardest-to-support platform did.

While I understand the desirability of not breaking TMW for our Mac OS X users, I find it hard to have any sympathy when Apple is going out of their way to make our lives difficult.
Sympathy is irrelevant. We made a change which locked out players unexpectedly. That is not how to run a successful service.

We have not established which people are unable to use the CSV-format maps, or why. All we know is that some people cannot play the game with CSV-format maps, and that the set of clients is larger than was understood or communicated at the time of the change. It's unhelpful and unprofessional to blame a computer manufacturer for this mistake.
You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
Socapex
Peon
Peon

Post by Socapex »

o11c wrote:The server didn't have a problem with it. The last client build on the hardest-to-support platform did.

While I understand the desirability of not breaking TMW for our Mac OS X users, I find it hard to have any sympathy when Apple is going out of their way to make our lives difficult.
???
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Frost »

Our fearless development team converted the latest maps back to the old binary format and updated the client-data repository. Note that this is entirely about the data files that are loaded within the client.

With quite a lot of patient help from tux9th, Ablu, and Jenalya, I updated the server so that all clients should now work once again.

Tested:
Mana 0.6 on Linux, Windows, and Mac
Manaplus on Windows and Linux
Mana 0.50 on Mac
Mana 0.29.1 on OpenBSD

Please report any problems you see which might be related to the maps, or which began after you received the latest data file.
Please also notify anyone you know who was unable to log on because of the change. We want them back!
You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown