Drops not seen.

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
Doofus
Peon
Peon

Drops not seen.

Post by Doofus »

I was taking down skeletons with my wife the other day when she said "are you going to pick up that bone?" to which I replied "what bone?"
Sure enough on her screen was shown a bone whereas on mine was not. I tried to stand where it was and pick it up. No bone. I waited a little to see if there was a server lag. Still no bone. My wife was able to pick it up fine. Made me wonder how many drops I was missing because of my client not seeing them dropping. I know for sure that the drop rate I see doesn't match the documented values and had always attributed to the random number generator the poor fit to Gaussian statistics (primarily seen due to multi-event correlations, i.e. it may have uniform probability but a history dependence that causes clustering of successful drops). Maybe this is more to do with client-server communication?
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Drops not seen.

Post by Frost »

Doofus wrote:on her screen was shown a bone whereas on mine was not....Maybe this is more to do with client-server communication?
What client do you use? What client does she use?
Did you install it as a binary, or did you compile it?

Can you reliably reproduce this situation? If so, does the same problem happen if a person drops the item? Does the item appear if you exit the client and log in again?
You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

I doubt this is a server communication problem - the code that handles "entities" (which includes players, npcs, mobs, spells, and items that exist at a location on the ground) is among the most robust of tmwa.

On the other handle, the client has at least one known bug with entities. The particular bug I remember relates to mobs that die and are respawned quickly (I think the client reserves the ID for the corpse, which doesn't exist on the server and thus should be handled ID-less on the client), but I'm sure there are others.

That said, are you sure it wasn't just obscured by layering or with similar coloring as the ground?
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Doofus
Peon
Peon

Post by Doofus »

Sorry, left off lots of details I intended to include.
Client version is the same in both cases 0.6.1 both of them pre-compiled binaries but with the difference that one is on Ubuntu 12.04 and the other on Debian Testing (the latter being the one on which no drop is seen). I don't really think there is any significant variances in the packaging for each.
Was the first time we ran the game in the same room so haven't noticed any incidents in the past. We've been able to drop pass things in the past without any issues. The exit and relog-in method sounds a real good one to test out. I'll give it a try if I see it happen again.
If it is repeatable I don't know under what obscure conditions it may be so. I don't really expect anyone to know how to fix it; just want to document its existence so that if others notice it there might eventually be enough of a weight of information to act on.
re: layering I am 100% positive.It was out in the open with nothing obscuring and there was good contrast. It should have been picked up with z anyway in such a case. The particular monster was one of the lady skeletons that you first come to when heading SE in the terranite cave. It is respawned quite rapidly (only a few seconds after death) so maybe this is related?
Thanks.
Doofus
Peon
Peon

Post by Doofus »

Ok got more information.
Yes it is repeatable.
I was wrong on the issue of not being able to pick it up (must have just not been registering it properly last time), it seems to be just a display issue. Comparing the debian wheezy and ubuntu 12.04 builds of 0.6.1 the ubuntu one will run fine whereas the debian build will not display bones in the terranite cave. I've tested this for cases when a lady skeleton, other player, or myself drops a bone it is not displayed. Not just an issue of contrast. Skulls, which have a similar tone, are displayed perfectly fine. Also did the test of logging out and back in (complete shutdown of manaworld client) but still did not see the articular bone.
Doofus
Peon
Peon

Post by Doofus »

Testing a bit more and will recap. This problem is experienced everywhere I have tried. Wherever I drop a bone it is invisible on the screen but can be picked up. I can see the image displayed in my inventory fine though. Occurs on the debian wheezy v0.6.1 build but not on the Ubuntu 12.04 v0.6.1 build. Have not noticed the issue with other items, e.g. skulls.
Does anyone know where the images for items are stored. I have looked through the .deb packages but no individual images are seen so not sure where to go from there.
Ablu
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Ablu »

They are stored in ~/.local/share/mana/updates
You could maybe try to delete the updates there and redownload.

Just a question: Do both clients have the same OpenGL settings? (both enabled or both disabled?)

Regards
Ablu
Doofus
Peon
Peon

Post by Doofus »

Ah Ablu your a genius.
OpenGL it was. It was enabled on my Ubuntu box and disabled on the debian one. Switching it on allowed the bone to be seen. Not too sure what in particular makes it not render except in opengl, but having a workaround is good (though I've never experienced any problems with opengl so its hardly classes as a workaround).
Ablu
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Ablu »

Ok no idea why one mode fails. But i will try to reproduce.

Thanks for reporting
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

Ablu wrote:They are stored in ~/.local/share/mana/updates
You could maybe try to delete the updates there and redownload.

Just a question: Do both clients have the same OpenGL settings? (both enabled or both disabled?)

Regards
Ablu
You can know where Manaplus stores configuration , logs, screenshots ... are by typing /dirs in the debug tab.

Nard
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.