lag issues in game

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: lag issues in game

Post by Crush »

simbageoleo wrote:now i know i am from england and the server is based in usa
The server is located in Poland, not the USA.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
tux9th
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by tux9th »

I suspect the spawns of the slimes and killing them and respawning them is causing lags.

Maybe o11c can give you a more detailed answer.
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Frost »

simbageoleo wrote:poland huh well then i am closer to the server than i thought but why is it so laggy prehaps a maintence of old account cleanup or something that will free up some cpu power so the server runs the game more smoothly
This lag is related to network, not performance of the server. In fact, because ping measures network response time, this is exactly what you already found. Internet performance between your computer and the server is out of our control.

There are various ways to slice up "network lag" but basically (as tux said) there are certain things like monster spawns or particle effects (e.g. rain) which increase network traffic.
You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

I thought the issue with rain and the like effects was related to the client and drawing, actually?

Sure, it's implemented in the server via a terrible hack, but I don't see anything that's that any more inefficient than a bunch of ordinary NPCs (which are cheaper than monsters ...).
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Frost »

simbageoleo wrote:so what are you trying to say exactly its the rain or what your sentence does not make much sence
Forget about rain. I'm trying to say that the lag is caused by the network connection between you and the server. I'm trying to say that your ping test shows this.
I'm trying to say that I share your annoyance with the lag, and I'm sorry it's happening.
You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
Knight
Knight

Post by 4144 »

I think lag what happend for 1 second long and server not responding at this time, this happend because cpu or other server resources, not network.
May be some latest server code changes can give this issue?

Big ping this possible related to network issue, but in my country internet very bad and i cant be sure what this is not my local connection issue.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

But depending on exactly how ping is calculated, is it possible that it is falsely reported as high when the client thread is busy?

Especially on single-processor machines, the thread that handles the network could just not be scheduled until expensive drawing stuff is done. This would happen more in kernels tuned for high throughput and less in kernels configured for low latency.

(actually, most problems are not strictly CPU or network related, but rather due to HD usage, including swap)

If lag is truly server related, it will be identical regardless of how busy your current map is. If the lag is client-related, it will be worse on a busier map.

FWIW I don't say ping is bad until it gets over 1000 milliseconds. My usual is 250 ms.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.