"Clipping" bug

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
Lota
Peon
Peon

"Clipping" bug

Post by Lota »

I'll try to explain it as clearly as possible...

You see that dark square on this screenshot ?

Sometimes my connection seems to freeze, and even if I can still walk on the map, mobs, NPC's, players and exits simply don't load (as you can see on the image, I use ManaPlus so a square should have appeared on magic school's entrance).
So I frequently go to the end of a map to see that I can't use the exit. And even if I wait some times, it doesn't load. I must absolutely go back to this dark square before being able to progress. It's quite annoying when I go through huge maps to discover that the exit didn't load and that I must go back to find the square, and then go back again to the exit. (Yes, I know, I should have noticed that the map was empty :P )
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Re: "Clipping" bug

Post by Reid »

A solution could be that ManaPlus(or any client) popup a window which tell you that you're probably unsync after a short moment.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Frost »

Yes, this is a frustrating problem. It's a symptom of "lag," where the game either freezes for a few seconds, or you notice there are no monsters or warp tiles on your map any more (but others see you normally on the shared map). I'm told that if you cast a spell like #chipchip, that will force the map to re-sync with the server. This seems to fix it for me.
Lag has been a big problem lately, which is why Platyna is asking for network diagnostics when we notice it.

[Edited to explain a bit more, and fixed the link.]
You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
Ablu
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Ablu »

At least i got no permission there. @Frost.
Lota
Peon
Peon

Post by Lota »

Frost wrote:Yes, this is a frustrating problem.
It's a symptom of "lag," which you can read more about here
I don't have the access to this section :P
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Debatably, it's a client problem, since the client is showing the player in a position the server hasn't said ... of course, it's hard to fix *properly*.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
straelyn
Novice
Novice

Post by straelyn »

I've had this happen to me at least once or twice on my way to the graveyard. Using the manaplus client now, I ran all the way without a hitch. First time ever (literally).
Knight
Knight

Post by 4144 »

Lota wrote:I'll try to explain it as clearly as possible...

You see that dark square on this screenshot ?

Sometimes my connection seems to freeze, and even if I can still walk on the map, mobs, NPC's, players and exits simply don't load (as you can see on the image, I use ManaPlus so a square should have appeared on magic school's entrance).
So I frequently go to the end of a map to see that I can't use the exit. And even if I wait some times, it doesn't load. I must absolutely go back to this dark square before being able to progress. It's quite annoying when I go through huge maps to discover that the exit didn't load and that I must go back to find the square, and then go back again to the exit. (Yes, I know, I should have noticed that the map was empty :P )
Sorry, I was offline for some time.

This is desync issue. This square show last player position known by server and transfered to client as response to move command.

If this quare stay unchanged for long time this look like long network issue, and probably faster solution will be reconnect to server. Or you can wait for some ten of seconds and reconnect.