[solved-ish] Joystick in gui?

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
Xoai
Newly Registered User

[solved-ish] Joystick in gui?

Post by Xoai »

I'm using an old ps2-usb controller, and absolutely loving the gameplay as a result... but, there is one difficulty
whenever i talk to an NPC, i have to put the controller down, and switch to keyboard controlls, just to press the down arrow and space bar... so annoying...
i've tried mapping joystick buttons to the gui controlls, but they simply don't work.

on another note, i would actually prefer to use KB&mouse, but WASD movement is impossible as well... when i try to type something in the chat, w and s work as up and down, so s clears what i've written so far, and w populates what i typed previously. (you'd be surprised how many words have s and w in them, lol)

it's actually really frustrating that my trouble comes from the joystick directionals not working in gui when they should, and the WASD controlls working in the gui (actually chat) when they shouldn't.
also, it's worth noting that the WASD issue does not occur in the regular mana client. I will try to reproduce the joystick problem in mana and report back to see if it's a manaplus bug or what...

thanks all!!
Last edited by Xoai on 22 Jan 2013, 04:49, edited 1 time in total.
Knight
Knight

Re: Joystick in gui?

Post by 4144 »

Xoai wrote:I'm using an old ps2-usb controller, and absolutely loving the gameplay as a result... but, there is one difficulty
whenever i talk to an NPC, i have to put the controller down, and switch to keyboard controlls, just to press the down arrow and space bar... so annoying...
i've tried mapping joystick buttons to the gui controlls, but they simply don't work.

on another note, i would actually prefer to use KB&mouse, but WASD movement is impossible as well... when i try to type something in the chat, w and s work as up and down, so s clears what i've written so far, and w populates what i typed previously. (you'd be surprised how many words have s and w in them, lol)

it's actually really frustrating that my trouble comes from the joystick directionals not working in gui when they should, and the WASD controlls working in the gui (actually chat) when they shouldn't.
also, it's worth noting that the WASD issue does not occur in the regular mana client. I will try to reproduce the joystick problem in mana and report back to see if it's a manaplus bug or what...

thanks all!!
For moving by WASD in game you should change keys in input/move and not in (input/gui)

About joystick. At first you should calibrate joystick, after you can assign joystick buttons to any actions in settings in input tab.
Assign it in same way like keyboard keys.
Xoai
Newly Registered User

Re: Joystick in gui?

Post by Xoai »

4144 wrote:
Xoai wrote:I'm using an old ps2-usb controller, and absolutely loving the gameplay as a result... but, there is one difficulty

thanks all!!
For moving by WASD in game you should change keys in input/move and not in (input/gui)

About joystick. At first you should calibrate joystick, after you can assign joystick buttons to any actions in settings in input tab.
Assign it in same way like keyboard keys.
thanks for the tips...
maybe it's my controller, as it is quite cheap and low quality, but the buttons don't work in the gui's even if i configure them to... for example, i have button6 mapped to menu:ok, but it only works the first time, and if i move up or down in the menu, it won't work anymore... also, i set down in gui to button5, but it doesn't do anything... tried all manor of button combos, and it just doesn't take any of them in gui (and only the select ok button once or twice after starting up)
also, i didn't change WASD in the gui part, just the movement, yet it still does that in the chat...though, i just built the new version (1.3.?.20), and haven't tested the WASD functionality yet, so i'll do that soon

thanks again for your help

UPDATE: got WASD working now, so all's well on the controlls front