Slow connection

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
Kazenawa
Novice
Novice

Slow connection

Post by Kazenawa »

Is it normal that recently, even if the main server is online, that i can barely connect ?

It works pretty fine with test server, i experience this issue only with main server.
I need to wait about 2 minutes to be able to see my char list, and about 1 or 2 more minutes to be ingame, and the map isn't finished to load.
That's about the same when i browse the site and the forum, pages takes a while before appearing...

Is that normal ?
LordDune
Peon
Peon

Re: Slow connection

Post by LordDune »

No, it is not "normal". And yes, I am experiencing it too, and not just a little bit. Every day since the server change. And no problem with my ISP, my client, my PC or any other thing other than a non-existent or slow to connect server.

In several areas such as Graveyard and Candor, I get "lagg-bombs" that last between 10 and 60 seconds. Usually when they are done, I see myself and others dead in the same general area.

Also, it is becoming increasingly difficult to connect to the game at all. I can connect using the same client to all other servers with no problem whatsoever. Even when I can connect, the connection degrades within a few minutes often times. Can't go to new maps, can't chat with people, can't see anyone else online.

Furthermore, the Forums website is also down frequently. I have checked the server connection with a few different pieces of software, and there appears to be many problems going on even when the server is running at "full speed". I realize the game and Forums are on the same piece of hardware, but I would imagine they are on seperate "virtual servers" on that machine. So this leads me to believe there is a problem with this new server.

My question is this: If this is supposedly a paid website we are now using for the host server of TMW, why is this happening? What exactly is the "anonymous donor" paying for? Why aren't we making a move back to Platnya's machine? We as players should have a say in this especially if the viability of Platnya's server is better than this new "option" that we have no information about.

I don't understand the stubbornness of the people who's trust was given (or some say stolen) to run this open-source game of ours. Admins please admit you've made mistakes and fix the problems you have seemingly created. It is pure hardheadedness to refuse to use a better system we have at our use for free than to rely on a paid service we have absolutely zero control over for resets, problems, etc. Not to mention the fact it is costing money that the donor could direct for other equipment if needed.

As someone else suggested in another thread, write a Constitution designating powers if you have worries or concerns, and move past the pettiness between groups. All the rest of us care about is the future of the game, which at this point is looking less and less stable every day. You've already seen dozens of players quit the game. How much more of this are you going to watch before you all finally come together and settle YOUR differences (not ours, the game players) so that this project can return to where it was previously, which in my opinion was a much better spot than it is right now.
v0id
Novice
Novice

Post by v0id »

Since Friday 15th, we are under a DDoS. All services under themanaworld.org are affected and are mostly unusable. That's the Game server, the forums and the wiki in particular.
Please note this attack isn't making the new host irrelevant, as any other host (like Platinum) would suffer the same unusability.
LordDune
Peon
Peon

Post by LordDune »

v0id wrote:Since Friday 15th, we are under a DDoS. All services under themanaworld.org are affected and are mostly unusable. That's the Game server, the forums and the wiki in particular.
Please note this attack isn't making the new host irrelevant, as any other host (like Platinum) would suffer the same unusability.
That doesn't begin to cover anything myself and others have been asking about. I had lagg problems as soon as the server was moved. If you had issues since Friday with hackers, I am sorry for you or the server owners (you didn't make it clear if they were being hacked or TMW or both).
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

LordDune wrote:That doesn't begin to cover anything myself and others have been asking about. I had lagg problems as soon as the server was moved.

A very small number of people have reported more lag on this server than the previous. A very large number of people have reported that lag is much better on this server than the previous.

The reason for a few people having worse lag is unknown.
LordDune wrote:If you had issues since Friday with hackers, I am sorry for you or the server owners (you didn't make it clear if they were being hacked or TMW or both).
The DDoS for the last day or so has been specific to TMW's machine.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Kazenawa
Novice
Novice

Post by Kazenawa »

LordDune wrote:I am experiencing it too, and not just a little bit. Every day since the server change. And no problem with my ISP, my client, my PC or any other thing other than a non-existent or slow to connect server.
That's the same for me, except that when it happens (not continuously all the day), i actually can't even connect, or the monsters aren't loaded and don't load even if i wait.
LordDune wrote:Also, it is becoming increasingly difficult to connect to the game at all. I can connect using the same client to all other servers with no problem whatsoever. Even when I can connect, the connection degrades within a few minutes often times. Can't go to new maps, can't chat with people, can't see anyone else online.
The same here, and what's weird is that i can see about more than 70 persons online :|
v0id wrote:Since Friday 15th, we are under a DDoS.
Would some player have to power to "do it" ? If it was someone that doesn't belong to the community, the probablility that it started just when the move began is, although not impossible, really weak in my opinion...
LordDune wrote:I had lagg problems as soon as the server was moved.
I've also had lags before this day, but i think it was lags everyone had, since it wasn't really wicked. It nearly didn't affect my gameplay as archer in graveyard.
But since this day, when lag happens, game is unplayable.
o11c wrote:The reason for a few people having worse lag is unknown.
If TMW is under DDoS, some people can still connect and play without any lags ? When it happened particularly heavily for me yesterday, i've seen about 70 people online as i've said. Why would it affect only some players and not the majority of us ?
Note that I haven't a lot of knowledge of it at all, i just wonder.
SudoPlatypus
Novice
Novice

Post by SudoPlatypus »

o11c wrote:The reason for a few people having worse lag is unknown.
I had much worse lag in town and in Candor. In ManaPluse I had under Performance/Auto adjust Performance check box enabled. I eventually found that by my having used The Detect Best Mode (ManaPlus Tests) option that it set my FPS limit to 20 and Alt FPS limit to 2. So whenever I was on a map or area with lots of other players I had only 2 FPS and it seemed like terrible lag. I tried disabling Auto Adjust Performance, and even closing and restarting the client again but had unsatisfactory results. Eventually I tried Auto Adjust Performance enabled and FPS and FPS Alt limits both set to 20 and saw noticeable, and playable results. I had this same problem on two computers, one with NVIDEA and one without, both running LMDE OS and it was worse on NVIDEA, not as bad on the other.

Maybe some others may have similar issue? And find setting their Alt FPS to whatever their FPS is helping?

Edit: Of course this was all before and unrelated to DDoS.
Edit: Also when on maps with few people, and when no DDoS is happening, I honestly have to say that the game is very more responsive than I have ever seen it.
The Mouboo was. The Mouboo is. The Mouboo ever shall be. Drop candies and rejoice.
Most leveled character: Qwerty Dragon is 99
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

If you have worse performance in popular areas, it's either your network or your graphics. I have no clue how the performance settings work.

In any case, this thread is now irrelevant since we moved to another host for better DDoS resistance, so I am locking it.

On the new new server, it is normal for players in Europe to have worse ping than before, and players in USia to have much better ping.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.