Ready made local server for windows

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
Big Crunch
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Ready made local server for windows

Post by Big Crunch »

Now this isnt a native windows solution, but what I've done is setup a ready made Virtual Machine that will install Crunchbang OS into a VirtualBox.

1. Download Virtualbox
2. Install VirtualBox
3. Download the Crunchbang TMW virtualbox file.
4. Double click the Crunchbang TMW file, click 'Import' and voila! you have everything installed you need.
5. To login, the Username is tmwtester, the Password is tmwtester, for both the OS and for the GM lvl 99 character on the local server.
6. To start the local server, right click on the desktop, navigate to Places > documents > Read this to access TMW Local server
7. Open a terminal using Super (the windows key) + T
8. Follow the instructions on document and you have logged into your local server using Manaplus.

The requirements for this method are at least 7gb of hdd space. 4 for the virtual machine and 1.8 for the image download. The default settings for RAM usage and CPU usage are the minimum required and are enough to use for development and running the server and client. Feel free to go to the Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager and right click the Crunchbang TMW option. Click 'settings' > system and increase the amount of RAM and/or the number of processors to increase speed and fluidity of the VM. Be careful however, as this will remove the RAM from your native OS while the VM is running. I have found that 1000mb of RAM and 2 processors work great, but the amount given upon startup (256mb and 1 cpu) are plenty to run the server, client, a browser and a text editor.

I forgot that not everyone uses an American keyboard.

To change the Keyboard Layout

1. Open a terminal (Super+T)
2. Type in 'sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration' minus the '
3. Again the password is tmwtester

Let me know how this works for everyone.

BC
Last edited by Big Crunch on 06 Apr 2013, 08:24, edited 4 times in total.
sexy red bearded GM
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Re: Ready made local server for windows

Post by meway »

Flawless aside from performance due to your chosen settings but thanks BC It works exactly as intended.
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

I made another thread here http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... =6&t=17271 for setting up server edition that uses less cpu accept its not "ready made" but you learn how to do it.
Big Crunch
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Big Crunch »

I had a report that the cpu usage was too high within the VM.

This can be fixed by opening the Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager, right clicking the Crunchbang TMW Virtual Machine, selecting 'Settings', click 'System'.
From this menu you can add RAM, and if you click the 'Processor' tab you can add another CPU core, up to however many cores your physical processor has.

As a warning, do not add too much RAM as the VM holds that amount in reserve when it is running, and this can slow down your native OS programs.

I made this VM using the smallest amount of resources I could, not knowing or wanting to guess at what resources your machine has. I assure you that this VM will run fine with the resources I have allocated. That said feel free to adjust it according to your desires and needs.

BC
sexy red bearded GM
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

Same remark as in meways thread, VirtualBox works on other OSes: MacOs, other linux distros and Unix. You can use it on them :D
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
0x0BAL
Peon
Peon

Post by 0x0BAL »

there are easier ways to make that file have less wight, use some Linux distros that have about 50mb.
Saphron
Newly Registered User

Post by Saphron »

Hey Crunch, that's awesome what you did!

I tried to download the file, but get always an error, that the source is corrupted. Also wanted to ask, if you could make it with turnkey linux, I have no clue about linux, but this one shall be easy for people who are newbies and very small. They have also git vm, is there a way to make an usb portable environment, so that you can test graphic easily? Like, I make some for example new hat and want to test it, so I name the file after some already existing hat, copy and overwrite this to the folder with the orinal file in git folder tree, click something so it gets uploaded to the virtual git, then push it somehow with some click to the virtual mana server and see it then with the client? Sorry if my question sounds stupid. :oops: :lol:

Saphron/Orchid

p.s. Greetings to all my friends, I am working on my thesis and was ill, so I was long not online yet again. :)
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Saphron's question

Post by meway »

Saphron wrote:Hey Crunch, that's awesome what you did!

I tried to download the file, but get always an error, that the source is corrupted. Also wanted to ask, if you could make it with turnkey linux, I have no clue about linux, but this one shall be easy for people who are newbies and very small. They have also git vm, is there a way to make an usb portable environment, so that you can test graphic easily? Like, I make some for example new hat and want to test it, so I name the file after some already existing hat, copy and overwrite this to the folder with the orinal file in git folder tree, click something so it gets uploaded to the virtual git, then push it somehow with some click to the virtual mana server and see it then with the client? Sorry if my question sounds stupid. :oops: :lol:

Saphron/Orchid

p.s. Greetings to all my friends, I am working on my thesis and was ill, so I was long not online yet again. :)
Although it is a difficult path to fallow, you could use my instructions and it may teach you how to do things even as a nubey. The link is above.