chipchip on mauve herbs

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
bekka
Peon
Peon

chipchip on mauve herbs

Post by bekka »

Hi there :)

according to the wiki the chipchip-spell works on herbs. It works fine on Gamboge, Alzarin and Cobalt.

But I recently tried on Mauve Herbs and not even got a drop by using chipchip on them.

Does someone know why?

regards, bekka
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Re: chipchip on mauve herbs

Post by o11c »

maybe someone had already used #chipchip on that particular plant within the last 10 minutes?
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
bekka
Peon
Peon

Post by bekka »

Might be, but I am vry sure I was alone on the map and tried for over an hour and nothing.
melkior
Warrior
Warrior

Post by melkior »

I'm seeing the same thing happening, even on newly spawned Mauve Plants.

Can someone else give it a go and report results?
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

Hm, looking at the magic code, there isn't any difference between the calls for the herbs:
https://github.com/themanaworld/tmwa-se ... plate#L827

I just did some brief testing, and on the testserver I didn't get anything from doing chipchip on mauve herbs and mouboos. o11c, could your changes on the testserver's code affect that?
On the mainserver, I got something from a mouboo, and then tried on herbs, but was quickly out of magic. Maybe some more people could try it out, and report back here?
melkior
Warrior
Warrior

Post by melkior »

Three different chars so far, an no Mauve Herbs via #chipchip.

Could someone spawn some on the botcheck or something so we can test properly?
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Jenalya wrote:I just did some brief testing, and on the testserver I didn't get anything from doing chipchip on mauve herbs and mouboos. o11c, could your changes on the testserver's code affect that?
Shouldn't be, though I *did* change the (unused) numbers in the SC_SHEARED arguments.

Note that the drops are dependent on your magic skill - if spellpower is less than 300 you don't have any chance at all. Spellpower is matk1 + 10 * (number of levels in general magic + number of levels in the school of magic) - so usually 40 more.
If spellpower is over 1000, the results might not be well-defined.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Jenalya: make sure the name of the spawns in _mob.txt matches both the name in mob_db.txt and the name in magic.conf

I see a lot of variation in the monster| lines.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

I can chipchip mauves and Mouboos with no problem on main server ( and get drops).
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Nard wrote:I can chipchip mauves
I expect that it depends on what map you're on.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

I tried 007-1, 010-1, 016-1
edit: also 008-1 now (all successful)

Question: result of chichip can depend on map ???
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
tsukinokage
Peon
Peon

Post by tsukinokage »

Nard wrote: Question: result of chichip can depend on map ???
Yes, it depends on maps. Actually, it depends on the name of the spawn area object of the map.
Long ago, I submit a commit and fixed the problem of #chipchip not working on the newly added maps for mouboos because of typo in the spawn area name. That commit was accepted, but my suggestion in the pull request about changing the server code so that it won't depend on the name of the spawn area(which I think is a really bad idea, since we can use any string in the spawn area name) is just ignored.

So, I suggest change the server code again. And I believe you only need to change one line of code in the server repo.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

The problem with trying to change one line of server code is that it involves changing at least a thousand other lines to prevent anything from breaking.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

tsukinokage wrote:
Nard wrote: Question: result of chichip can depend on map ???
Yes, it depends on maps. Actually, it depends on the name of the spawn area object of the map.
Long ago, I submit a commit and fixed the problem of #chipchip not working on the newly added maps for mouboos because of typo in the spawn area name. That commit was accepted, but my suggestion in the pull request about changing the server code so that it won't depend on the name of the spawn area(which I think is a really bad idea, since we can use any string in the spawn area name) is just ignored.

So, I suggest change the server code again. And I believe you only need to change one line of code in the server repo.
I remember that now. You have a supporter: if chipchip doesn't work as it is intended to, server code has to be modified because it is a bug. I guess, as o11c, recently checked it ( http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 92#p131092) that he knows exactly the number of lines which are concerned. :wink:
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Nard wrote: I remember that now. You have a supporter: if chipchip doesn't work as it is intended to, server code has to be modified because it is a bug. I guess, as o11c, recently checked it ( http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 92#p131092) that he knows exactly the number of lines which are concerned. :wink:
Edit: redacted original post.

Nard, I know a lot about the server code - far more than you can glean from my forum posts.

This problem can easily be fixed in server data, not server code.