inventory full of ?s with mostly 5-digit-item-IDs

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
Velox Neb
Newly Registered User

inventory full of ?s with mostly 5-digit-item-IDs

Post by Velox Neb »

in the last few days i'm experiencing this weird problem, doesn't seem to be the usual "unknown items" when not in sync with the sources because those would usually still show their correct IDs afaik, but please see for yourself:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9d1vtxamw4smm ... chment.png

* most of the IDs show as 5digits instead of the actual 3- or 4 they should be
* 100/100 invslots are being used although my inv wasn't full
* even though i can't see any items, i see my char not naked but partly dressed. nothing equipped though
* i can chat to others fine and they see both me and my items fine when traded or dropped

the problem exists on themanaworld.org and .net, but not on gtmw or evol and it's true for both clients (manaplus 1.3.4.14 & manasource 0.6.1).

already relogged, rebooted, deleted and re-downloaded the updates folder(s) and there's nothing in the .../updates*/local folder. the problem persists in the exact same setup on an outdated ubuntu 11.10 aswell as on a fully updated kubuntu 12.10 and i'm fresh out of ideas. i'd very much appreciate any help or sugestions.
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: inventory full of ?s with mostly 5-digit-item-IDs

Post by Jenalya »

Can you tell us as exactly as possible when you noticed the problem for the first time?
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

This corruption is the same memory/hard drive corruption we saw all the time on Platinum, but usually deleted it during rollbacks. It was present in the pre-move backup dated March 6th.

In the interest of database stability, please delete the affected character. Other characters on the account should not be affected.
You may contact the GM team to get your base level raised back to 86, but we cannot restore anything else, such as inventory or quest state.

Edit: it looks like we can restore one of each of these items: 633,2068,2178
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Velox Neb
Newly Registered User

Post by Velox Neb »

@jenalya: i'm afraid i can't really, only vaguely: i think the login the day before yesterday was my first after the server-moves and that's definitely when i first noticed the problem. the last time i logged in before that should've been sometime in feb but surely around dec all was fine.

@o11c: there are no other chars or accounts left, i only kept velox. now i'm hoping very much you'll reconsider and offer me a rollback instead, even if it's a year old i don't mind or maybe copy an old backup into a new account if that helps your database, please? and you're welcome to take your time, too, just as long as i don't lose everything i've accomplished in years.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Well, we can't do a rollback of a single account/character.

However, after discussing this more, we think we'll be able to find an older backups, so (assuming we do indeed find one) we will be able to manually add the contents of your inventory to a new character on the same account. This is a lot of work, but since we'll never have to do it again we're willing to give it a try.

It needs to be one of us admins, not a GM, to manually spawn and trade all the items and zeny.

Note that storage is not corrupted. Or at least, it had better not be ...

Note that it is not possible to restore your quest state to a new character. But hey, the quests are easy enough when you're already that high ...
Velox Neb
Newly Registered User

Post by Velox Neb »

i'm blown by your truly generous offer and can't even begin to tell you how much i appreciate your time and consideration, so thank you! :-D
before you tediously start manually trading stuff though; i'm fully aware you guys have more important things to do what with everything else going on, so can't you just simply copy and paste the relevant lines from an old into your new eA- & accs.txt? this char hasn't made any progress in months that i'd care about and it'd save you a lot of time and trouble.
as for storage, i must confess i haven't dared to check yet.
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

Did you try re-installing updates?
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Meway ... we have already isolated the problem and the cause of the problem. Random questions to attempt to diagnose unrelated problems are not helpful.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

o11c wrote:This corruption is the same memory/hard drive corruption we saw all the time on Platinum, but usually deleted it during rollbacks. It was present in the pre-move backup dated March 6th.

In the interest of database stability, please delete the affected character. Other characters on the account should not be affected.
You may contact the GM team to get your base level raised back to 86, but we cannot restore anything else, such as inventory or quest state.

Edit: it looks like we can restore one of each of these items: 633,2068,2178
To Solve in some way this kind of issues, we could add a GM room on some map, and place there a NPC, similar to testing servers Debug ones; able to set a previously targeted Character status, skills, quest states (?)...
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.