Bug in quest

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
Salius
Novice
Novice

Bug in quest

Post by Salius »

I doing "Love Triangle Quest".
I need to bring some Jack O souls. I bring 51 souls now and 25 souls some days before, but no one soul accepted :(
Total 76 souls was rejected!
I read in wiki that chance for accept is 1:50. I bring more. Why all my souls are rejected?
I think this is bug on your server (main mana world server).
Please help to solve this problem.
tux9th
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Bug in quest

Post by tux9th »

I'm sorry but this is to be expected.
The highest amount I have ever heard of needed to finish was around 360.

Just give more souls.

so far
tux9th
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Frost »

Salius wrote:I need to bring some Jack O souls....
Total 76 souls was rejected!
I read in wiki that chance for accept is 1:50.
I think I see the confusion. This is random chance, not a fixed sum. You are less fortunate than average.
There's a 2% chance that any soul is accepted, and a 98% chance that a soul is rejected.
In math, 0.98 to the 76th power = 0.21, so there is a 21% chance that someone will have 76 souls rejected.

I'm sure someone else can give you souls to help.
You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
Salius
Novice
Novice

Post by Salius »

360 SOULS - is madness :(
I can't play more until I complete this quest :(
I don't do anything, only killing jack o's :(
How can I determine real quantity of souls what I need to bring? I can bring more souls, but I need to know how many I need. 360 is impossible :(
Salius
Novice
Novice

Post by Salius »

Frost wrote: I think I see the confusion. This is random chance, not a fixed sum. You are less fortunate than average.
There's a 2% chance that any soul is accepted, and a 98% chance that a soul is rejected.
In math, 0.98 to the 76th power = 0.21, so there is a 21% chance that someone will have 76 souls rejected.

I'm sorry, if this always random chance to accept (for every soul), is this mean that i can bring 1000 souls and all rejected?
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Frost »

Salius wrote:
Frost wrote:In math, 0.98 to the 76th power = 0.21, so there is a 21% chance that someone will have 76 souls rejected.

I'm sorry, if this always random chance to accept (for every soul), is this mean that i can bring 1000 souls and all rejected?
0.98^1000 = 0.00000017% chance that 1000 souls would be rejected. It's unlikely, but possible. Fortunately, other people can help.
-unknown
Salius
Novice
Novice

Post by Salius »

Frost wrote:0.98^1000 = 0.00000017% chance that 1000 souls would be rejected. It's unlikely, but possible.
You write "possible", do you think it is right? May be need some protection against this? For example some "stop number". If I bring number of souls equal to "stop number", then next one soul accepted with guarantee. For example "stop number" =100, when i bring souls it accept or reject randomly, but if I bring total 100 souls, next one is accepted. This is easiest protection method, I think.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

That's not how probability works.

Humans are notoriously bad at probability. Such quests need to stay the same.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Frost »

I guess it's pretty clear this is not a bug, in the sense that the behavior is exactly as intended.

Personally, I think the social aspects of gaming can really help a lot with this quest. There aren't many other uses for Jack O Souls now, and they stack in storage, therefore many people dump extras in a pile and never look at it again, except for this quest or if a buddy asks for help.
-unknown
Salius
Novice
Novice

Post by Salius »

Finally I completed this quest.
Thanks for help.
I don't need more souls :)