Duplicate info in tmw.NET and tmw.ORG

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
nelson6e65
Novice
Novice

Duplicate info in tmw.NET and tmw.ORG

Post by nelson6e65 »

Why my profile is active (with the same password) in forums.themanaworld.org and forums.themanaworld.net? :?:

Should not be cleaned when server moved?

:arrow: Subscriptions in my email are confused.

BTW...
Spoiler:
forums.themanaworld.net is full of spam. ._.
The Mana World - Comunidad Hispanohablante

"When we die, we go to the same place: Soul Menhir"nelson6e65
Edit: Well... Not anymore. u.u

nelson6e65: Image
Edward Elric: Image
Edward Elric (Hagane): Image
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Re: Duplicate info in tmw.NET and tmw.ORG

Post by o11c »

The Mana World (themanaworld.org) is in no way associated with the server on Platinum (themanaworld.net), which is based on a copy of the server data files from before TMW changed hosting providers.

After I finished copying the bits off of Platinum, I asked if I should delete the original, but the consensus was that it would not be worth it. Can you believe that some of us thought that Platyna would be reasonable? But our main focus that day was on making sure the *new* server ran smoothly.

In any case, deleting the active copy of the data wouldn't've done much good, since she kept backups (though not ones that *we* could access when the server got corrupted, we had to make our own. (Fun fact: I did a dump 3 days before the move and it was fine, but when I did the dump 1 day before the move it was corrupted. Luckily, the final dump the day of the move was fine. Platinum's hardware was crap, but despite the fact that the TMW community donated money for a new machine, we never got one)).

Many of us have asked for our information to be deleted from the .net server, but Platyna actively refuses to do it, despite the fact that it is required by European laws (themanaworld.org responds to all legitimate request for deletion). I do suggest that you contact Platyna and request that she delete your information, but unless you're willing to go to court I doubt she'll actually do it.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
tux9th
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by tux9th »

Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

o11c wrote:The Mana World (themanaworld.org) is in no way associated with the server on Platinum (themanaworld.net), which is based on a copy of the server data files from before TMW changed hosting providers.

After I finished copying the bits off of Platinum, I asked if I should delete the original, but the consensus was that it would not be worth it. Can you believe that some of us thought that Platyna would be reasonable? But our main focus that day was on making sure the *new* server ran smoothly.

In any case, deleting the active copy of the data wouldn't've done much good, since she kept backups (though not ones that *we* could access when the server got corrupted, we had to make our own.(Fun fact: I did a dump 3 days before the move and it was fine, but when I did the dump 1 day before the move it was corrupted. Luckily, the final dump the day of the move was fine. Platinum's hardware was crap, but despite the fact that the TMW community donated money for a new machine, we never got one)).

Many of us have asked for our information to be deleted from the .net server, but Platyna actively refuses to do it, despite the fact that it is required by European laws (themanaworld.org responds to all legitimate request for deletion). I do suggest that you contact Platyna and request that she delete your information, but unless you're willing to go to court I doubt she'll actually do it.
  • Posting here polemic answers is not a good idea in my opinion. The flame war topic is still open if your intention is to keep it active.
  • Fortunately, backups were made on Platinum, and I have no doubt that you do the same at the moment, to prevent loss of data in case there is a crash.
  • Platinum users, as far as I know, have never been asked to contribute to a new machine. The actual one, If not the latest hardware, doesn't seem to be a bad one and still is not imo:
    • Serwer 1 - User Interface

Model: HP Proliant DL140 G3
      Processor: 2x Intel Quad Core Xeon E5335 @ 2.00GHz
      Pamięć: 6 GB
      Ilość miejsca na dyskach: 320 GB
    • Serwer 2 - zapasowy DNS, serwer zbierający logi

Processor: 2x Intel Dual Core Xeon 5130 @ 2.00GHz
      Pamięć: 2 GB
      Ilość miejsca na dyskach: 480 GB
    • Serwer 3 - backup, storage

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 630
      Pamięć: 2GB
      Ilość miejsca na dyskach: 7 TB.
  • The european laws obliges any company that collects data to communicate them to you and allows you to modify them if you find them incorrect. You have the right to object to the processing of data, which is pointless because there is no treatment of these data except if you play (account data, char data), or post on your own will, here or on .org server. You have also the possibility to modify them by yourself on forum and wiki.
    On an other side, guidelines specify the confidentiality and security of processing:
    EU Data Protection Directive (Directive95/46/EC) wrote: any person acting under the authority of the controller or of the processor, including the processor himself, who has access to personal data must not process them except on instructions from the controller. In addition, the controller must implement appropriate measures to protect personal data against accidental or unlawful destruction or accidental loss, alteration, unauthorised disclosure or access;
    This disposition could be the main argument for you (or anyone of us) to sue the former administrators who could not prevent the move of personal data to a different country; if the problem of database "ownership" could be solved which is another complex problem. The US laws are not that much different on that topic: If o11c was right, you would be able to destroy your facebook account, or ask for it to be deleted.
    Summary: the only thing you can do is to ask Platyna to communicate the data she has about you, and ask for correction when needed.
    references: http://eeas.europa.eu/data_protection/index_en.htm
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
nelson6e65
Novice
Novice

Post by nelson6e65 »

Oh.. I did not see this new... Forum should be add an feature to sent "important" news like this to email.
In my case, I returned to TMW game-wiki-forums recently (because I had not Internet in home) and I only checked e-mail when I connected from other places (internet-cafe), weekly. I only logged to game less than 10 times in this year (until November, that I got Internet back in my home) and I had not much time to check forums. :/
Well... I noticed the server move and I change my password in game by own intuition, but I didn't noticed that was created a "copy" of this forum too...
Anyway, thanks. It was my fault for missing the "new" in forums.

Nard wrote:
o11c wrote:
Spoiler:
The Mana World (themanaworld.org) is in no way associated with the server on Platinum (themanaworld.net), which is based on a copy of the server data files from before TMW changed hosting providers.

In any case, deleting the active copy of the data wouldn't've done much good, since she kept backups (though not ones that *we* could access when the server got corrupted, we had to make our own.(Fun fact: I did a dump 3 days before the move and it was fine, but when I did the dump 1 day before the move it was corrupted. Luckily, the final dump the day of the move was fine. Platinum's hardware was crap, but despite the fact that the TMW community donated money for a new machine, we never got one)).

Spoiler:
  • Posting here polemic answers is not a good idea in my opinion. The flame war topic is still open if your intention is to keep it active.
  • Fortunately, backups were made on Platinum, and I have no doubt that you do the same at the moment, to prevent loss of data in case there is a crash.
  • Platinum users, as far as I know, have never been asked to contribute to a new machine. The actual one, If not the latest hardware, doesn't seem to be a bad one and still is not imo:
    • Serwer 1 - User Interface

Processor: 2x Intel Quad Core Xeon E5335 @ 2.00GHz
      Pamięć: 6 GB
      Ilość miejsca na dyskach: 320 GB
    • Serwer 2 - zapasowy DNS, serwer zbierający logi

Processor: 2x Intel Dual Core Xeon 5130 @ 2.00GHz
      Pamięć: 2 GB
      Ilość miejsca na dyskach: 480 GB
    • Serwer 3 - backup, storage

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 630
      Pamięć: 2GB
      Ilość miejsca na dyskach: 7 TB.
  • The european laws obliges any company that collects data to communicate them to you and allows you to modify them if you find them incorrect. You have the right to object to the processing of data, which is pointless because there is no treatment of these data except if you play (account data, char data), or post on your own will, here or on .org server. You have also the possibility to modify them by yourself on forum and wiki.
    On an other side, guidelines specify the confidentiality and security of processing:
    EU Data Protection Directive (Directive95/46/EC) wrote: any person acting under the authority of the controller or of the processor, including the processor himself, who has access to personal data must not process them except on instructions from the controller. In addition, the controller must implement appropriate measures to protect personal data against accidental or unlawful destruction or accidental loss, alteration, unauthorised disclosure or access;
    This disposition could be the main argument for you (or anyone of us) to sue the former administrators who could not prevent the move of personal data to a different country; if the problem of database "ownership" could be solved which is another complex problem. The US laws are not that much different on that topic: If o11c was right, you would be able to destroy your facebook account, or ask for it to be deleted.
    Summary: the only thing you can do is to ask Platyna to communicate the data she has about you, and ask for correction when needed.
    references: http://eeas.europa.eu/data_protection/index_en.htm
@_@
I just did read slightly that "flamewar" topic, because I hate to enter on politic/polemic topics (specially in other language different that spanish :| ). But, apparently, I unintentionally started one u.u.

But I want a "factual" answer about this:
In short: Which is the "copy"? ORG or NET? (game-data and/or forum-data)
The Mana World - Comunidad Hispanohablante

"When we die, we go to the same place: Soul Menhir"nelson6e65
Edit: Well... Not anymore. u.u

nelson6e65: Image
Edward Elric: Image
Edward Elric (Hagane): Image
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

The question was answered, further discussion please in the official server-move flamewar thread.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.